Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 3,001,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I’ve known a few (12) people that claim to have seen unidentifiable/strange lights or craft. None have made official reports. I’m guessing for every report there must be at least 10 not reported. Any guesses?
Personally over the years I've seen really strange things in the sky three different times and I never told anyone but my friends and family. One time I was with a friend and the other two times I was alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:25 PM

799 posts, read 443,593 times
I've seen unidentified flying objects, that - based on their movement in the sky and their appearance and lack of sound etc - were most likely either experimental aircraft (read: top secret gov't craft) or from another planet or dimension.

In 1 case I am sure it was extraterrestrial because nothing created by man could do what it did.
In the other 2 cases I think they were probably top secret air force projects - based on their wing structure - even though they still did some amazing things that one might not believe are possible.

I did not report them - except to friends and on a few forums - because What good would it do? Since I had no proof - I was alone in each case - it's just me looking like "some nut who saw a UFO"... Why would I want to be seen that way?

For those who are overly skeptical about UFO's - meaning they refuse to believe even now that there IS so much evidence - I suggest you do some reading of some books on the subject. SOME UFO's are extraterrestrial aircraft and have been seen and reported by many credible witnesses including military personnel (many who are officers), police, sherriffs, pilots, air flight controllers etc.

98% or so of people who refuse to believe some UFO's are extraterrestrial simply have not done the necessary reading to convince themselves.
The other 2% are just stubborn.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
I have seen a few and reported them to Mufon. I read their daily US reports and some are very similar to mine and others are not. What I find interesting are the patterns of type of sighting and reported backgrounds of some of the reporters.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 AM

23,967 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
At least 90%, and this goes for all things paranormal.
I would agree. There is so much judgement surrounding the unexplained - including UFOs, that many people choose to protect themselves from being called crazy.

Or answering questions like "Are you sure it wasn't a plane?" and "Did your have the electricity in your house checked out?"

Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would agree. There is so much judgement surrounding the unexplained - including UFOs, that many people choose to protect themselves from being called crazy.

Or answering questions like "Are you sure it wasn't a plane?" and "Did your have the electricity in your house checked out?"
What's wrong with eliminating the explainable? There are a million reasons and explanations, both natural and man-made, for seeing something unidentified in the sky. Guess where "aliens" fall within these millions of reasons.

Confirmation bias says, if you believe in aliens, your first thought process will be that you are seeing an alien aircraft when you see some strange light in the sky. That's the way the human mind works - of processing information, you are re-affirming your own personal beliefs and wishes. Those seeing UFO's should not be offended when these question occur, but should question there own recollection, they should challenge themeselves. Call it a reality check.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
I didn't report mine. Funny thing was on Discovery, as I was eating, I stopped my fork
in mid air as I watched a reenactment of exactly, exactly what I saw...this time by a cop,
watching it silently move away. Mine was over 50 years ago in central NY.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:44 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The alternative to asking questions is to believe that absolutely everything people claim is 100% accurate and true, that none of the reports are misidentification, hoaxes, or hallucinations. We call that being gullible.

That's why MUFON has a Field Investigators Manual that lays out how interviews should be conducted:

Quote:
... the Field Investigator Trainee needs a thorough grounding in the following areas: ...

° Interviewing Methods: Preparation, controlling the setting, the sequence of obtaining a complete account, recognizing sensory perceptions, analyzing witness body language, active listening, interpreting the oral account, and drawing conclusions are all vitally important. ...

° Technical Background: A working knowledge should be conveyed to the Trainee on the subjects of weather anomalies, astronomy, conventional aircraft (especially lighting configurations), space satellites, photographic equipment and methods, and the soil sciences.

In addition , MUFON will conduct a background check on all FI Applicants. If MUFON determines the background check is not acceptable to MUFON, the Field Investigator designation will not be issued to the applicant.
Source

MUFON's goal is to reduce or eliminate reports that are misidentification, hoaxes, or hallucination.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What's wrong with eliminating the explainable? There are a million reasons and explanations, both natural and man-made, for seeing something unidentified in the sky. Guess where "aliens" fall within these millions of reasons.

Confirmation bias says, if you believe in aliens, your first thought process will be that you are seeing an alien aircraft when you see some strange light in the sky. That's the way the human mind works - of processing information, you are re-affirming your own personal beliefs and wishes. Those seeing UFO's should not be offended when these question occur, but should question there own recollection, they should challenge themeselves. Call it a reality check.
You do realize our govt has already disclosed that aliens are real and are visiting our planet...right?

( I can provide the link to the article if you like)...

NY Times article from Dec 2017 states that taxpayer money was given to Bigelow Aerospace to modify buildings, in order to store and research recovered unknown metals and other materials. A 490 page briefing was created in 2009 for the Pentagon that went into detail about the R&D on these recovered materials, they concluded that our military would be unable to defend against this technology.

* I filed a FOIA request for this briefing and was rejected, the rejection letter itself was pretty informative, it stated that any document referring to or mentioning EBEs, CTBEs, ITBEs etc are all exempt from FOIA due to concerns for national security, how would they be able to say this if they didnt have information about those thing in the first place?!!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
How would we know if they went unreported?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You do realize our govt has already disclosed that aliens are real and are visiting our planet...right?

( I can provide the link to the article if you like)...

NY Times article from Dec 2017 states that taxpayer money was given to Bigelow Aerospace to modify buildings, in order to store and research recovered unknown metals and other materials. A 490 page briefing was created in 2009 for the Pentagon that went into detail about the R&D on these recovered materials, they concluded that our military would be unable to defend against this technology.

* I filed a FOIA request for this briefing and was rejected, the rejection letter itself was pretty informative, it stated that any document referring to or mentioning EBEs, CTBEs, ITBEs etc are all exempt from FOIA due to concerns for national security, how would they be able to say this if they didnt have information about those thing in the first place?!!
Not sure what that has to do with my specific response to another user,

but....ohhhhkay then, we will wait until your FOIA is cleared by the Men in Black and you can get back to us on it in an update thread....no need to hijack this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal