U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 PM
 
4,768 posts, read 1,867,692 times
Reputation: 4833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
That is the book, but not the site I downloaded it from.
It is available at book stores also if you want an actual book.
I have both, the book, and the free downloaded edition.
Fascinating reading.

Bob.
Could you provide the link to the site you downloaded it from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Texas
13,497 posts, read 5,820,546 times
Reputation: 25940
https://www.near-death.com/reincarna...stevenson.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 PM
 
4,768 posts, read 1,867,692 times
Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, I encountered this gentleman many years ago. The academic connection gives his work validity. But this is what I'm referring to; maybe there is an alternative explanation.

I read the article. There was also an ad on that page for a book about Holocaust survivors being reincarnated. I don't know what the answers are. The problem is that this field of inquiry is so riddled with charlatans, people taking advantage in order to generate income. I don't exclude the churches.

I returned to City Data in September of 2017 because I had an odd experience. I had a violin student come to work with me whom I felt I had known in a past life. That feeling was immensely strong, but I quit working with him because it was disturbing. Very peculiar experience.

I don't know. If you open the doors to this sort of belief, all sorts of nightmares of human experience can walk in. I would prefer the cold, clear light of rationality and science. I think we should put those myths to sleep.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-26-2018 at 08:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,531 posts, read 4,023,002 times
Reputation: 4035
Quote:
I don't know. If you open the doors to this sort of belief, all sorts of nightmares of human experience can walk in.
Not talking of occult practices here are we?

Quote:
I would prefer the cold, clear light of rationality and science. I think we should put those myths to sleep.
...or as some things are non-repeatable or non-measurable we could just ignore and deny them as so many scientists do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
17,803 posts, read 14,091,797 times
Reputation: 13725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yes, I encountered this gentleman many years ago. The academic connection gives his work validity. But this is what I'm referring to; maybe there is an alternative explanation.

I read the article. There was also an ad on that page for a book about Holocaust survivors being reincarnated. I don't know what the answers are. The problem is that this field of inquiry is so riddled with charlatans, people taking advantage in order to generate income. I don't exclude the churches.

I returned to City Data in September of 2017 because I had an odd experience. I had a violin student come to work with me whom I felt I had known in a past life. That feeling was immensely strong, but I quit working with him because it was disturbing. Very peculiar experience.

I don't know. If you open the doors to this sort of belief, all sorts of nightmares of human experience can walk in. I would prefer the cold, clear light of rationality and science. I think we should put those myths to sleep.

There is research currently to preserve our memories and experiences: BBC - Future - Back-up brains: The era of digital immortality. It is going to get very interesting as we approach the coming singularity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 AM
 
4,768 posts, read 1,867,692 times
Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is research currently to preserve our memories and experiences: BBC - Future - Back-up brains: The era of digital immortality. It is going to get very interesting as we approach the coming singularity.

Coming singularly??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
17,803 posts, read 14,091,797 times
Reputation: 13725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Coming singularly??

Some want us to believe that the Singularity is here already and maybe it is? I know that many want to capitalize on the impending change: https://su.org/. We are in a race to build the fastest and strongest computers with China and other countries that want to dominate the field. Many are pushing this link between humans and technology: https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/1...ace-ai-cyborgs.

Perhaps some time in the future your questions can be answered in 1's and 0's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM
 
4,768 posts, read 1,867,692 times
Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Some want us to believe that the Singularity is here already and maybe it is? I know that many want to capitalize on the impending change: https://su.org/. We are in a race to build the fastest and strongest computers with China and other countries that want to dominate the field. Many are pushing this link between humans and technology: https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/1...ace-ai-cyborgs.

Perhaps some time in the future your questions can be answered in 1's and 0's?
That's interesting. I'm not much of a joiner, however. I've got too much of my own stuff going on. And then there is the suspicion of anything or anyone who claims to have all the answers. I'd rather remain independent.

As far as 1's and 0's, that's the underlying structure of all of this, now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM
 
4,768 posts, read 1,867,692 times
Reputation: 4833
Not familiar with "singularity": a hypothetical moment in time when artificial intelligence and other technologies have become so advanced that humanity undergoes a dramatic and irreversible change.
"maybe the singularity just happened, and we didn't notice"

Technological singularity
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech...al_singularity

Probably missed this because I don't read science fiction. (Who said, science fiction is very little science and very poor fiction?)

Not sure what this has to do with ancient superstitions, by which I mean everything supernatural: astrology, clairvoyance, and all religions past and present.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2018, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
17,803 posts, read 14,091,797 times
Reputation: 13725
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Not familiar with "singularity": a hypothetical moment in time when artificial intelligence and other technologies have become so advanced that humanity undergoes a dramatic and irreversible change.
"maybe the singularity just happened, and we didn't notice"

Technological singularity
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech...al_singularity

Probably missed this because I don't read science fiction. (Who said, science fiction is very little science and very poor fiction?)

Not sure what this has to do with ancient superstitions, by which I mean everything supernatural: astrology, clairvoyance, and all religions past and present.

It could have something to do with solving age old questions as technology accesses more of our brains. It is hard to say where all this will go or, even if, humans will remain top dog. Once robots learn to make robots; who knows?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top