U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,501,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That I will agree with! I just thought that Mel Brooks had poor taste considering the misery. I know that if I was being tortured I would not be happy with somebody singing and dancing!
Monty Python also made fun of the Inquisition in a couple of their skits. Hitler's been a frequent target of humor - going back to jokes, songs, and cartoons before the Second World War. Then there's the Mel Brooks film the Producers with "Springtime for Hitler". Hitler's not very funny, either. I'm not a huge Mel Brooks fan either, but some of his bits I do find funny.

I think humor functions to belittle the things we're afraid of, and give us control over them. With regard to the evil that humans have perpetrated on each other, it may be a way for people to laugh together and say "we're not like that", or perhaps "that would never happen to us now".

Steve Allen in a 1957 interview:

Quote:
When I explained to a friend recently that the subject matter of most comedy is tragic (drunkenness, overweight, financial problems, accidents, etc.) he said, “Do you mean to tell me that the dreadful events of the day are a fit subject for humorous comment? The answer is “No, but they will be pretty soon.”
(https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/25/comedy-plus/)

‘It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens’ -- Woody Allen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM

13,619 posts, read 22,251,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Monty Python also made fun of the Inquisition in a couple of their skits. Hitler's been a frequent target of humor - going back to jokes, songs, and cartoons before the Second World War. Then there's the Mel Brooks film the Producers with "Springtime for Hitler". Hitler's not very funny, either. I'm not a huge Mel Brooks fan either, but some of his bits I do find funny.

I think humor functions to belittle the things we're afraid of, and give us control over them. With regard to the evil that humans have perpetrated on each other, it may be a way for people to laugh together and say "we're not like that", or perhaps "that would never happen to us now".

‘It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens’ -- Woody Allen
And don’t forget Hogan’s Heroes. Four of the recurring Nazis were played by Jews. Klink, Schultz, Burckhalter and Hochstetter. The first three fled from Nazi Germany.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 PM

17,798 posts, read 14,084,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

It's just me. I never liked Mel Brooks, Woody Allen or Steve Allen. And, yes, I am aware of funning with Hitler. But it always seemed inappropriate to me. It could have just been my small town upbringing?

On the other hand I did like Hogan's Hero's; but WWII was not that long ago when the program first came out and it was basically dehumanizing our once enemy: Germany. It was also like a transition from hating the Germans to the point we wanted to kill them all; to, in some cases, actually accepting them. I think that the program did some good to soothe the war wounds.

Haxan, on the other hand, clearly shows some of the Dark age mentality. It is mind boggling how humans could be so cruel to other humans. Many, under Hitler, were no better - if not down right worse with the numbers that they put through the prison camps tortured to their deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal