Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:58 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times

Advertisements

very interesting!!!!! thanks for this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 05:45 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That's a fair point. I don't think there's enough data on the history of thylacines in Tasmania to figure out how healthy the poulation was before Europeans arrived.
Agreed. There's no way to know what their population was before Europeans but there's no reason to believe they weren't at the maximum number their environment could support. Tasmania is a good size island and not lacking for space. The forests were lush and green and still are today. The thylacine had no natural predators and had an ample supply of food and water.
There are photos available showing their bodies piled up from being shot. No one knows how many thousands were poisoned and bodies left to rot where they died.
The story is very similar to the American wolf but fortunately, a few wolves remained and they are being allowed to repopulate in some areas. Even when people realized their numbers had become dangerously low, that was thought to be a good thing and little to nothing was done to save the species because farming and ranching were big business in Australia and they were considered nothing more than a pest. Zoos in the early 20th century were little more than a place to stare at caged animals and they did very little to promote breeding programs of any kind. They could have been easily saved if any kind of effort had been made.

Last edited by marino760; 09-03-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 03:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's disputable. There are a few reports every year of people still seeing them but their numbers would be so few that a dead body would be extremely hard to find before it's gone.
This article is from 2016.
New footage of a Tasmanian Tiger emerges that has experts optimistic | Daily Mail Online

There's other footage and photos as well that "experts" aren't able to dismiss. If they aren't thylacines then they must be a new species that no on has previously recorded. They certainly aren't dogs by appearance and movement.
That picture looks like a fox. The fact that these pictures and videos are so grainy all the time is also why I'm a skeptic. With the cameras we have these days someone should have gotten a good picture by now.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That picture looks like a fox. The fact that these pictures and videos are so grainy all the time is also why I'm a skeptic. With the cameras we have these days someone should have gotten a good picture by now.

That is a valid point. The one study supposedly put out over 500 game cameras; you would think that some great pictures would be headed to the internet - but we have not seen any. So, like BF, the longer this hunt goes on for an existing animal; the less likely it will be to actually find one. But, for the time being, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:01 PM

I totally agree also. The thing that sticks out to me about this particular footage is the tail. I was curious enough to look up information about how long a fox's tail is from a website specifically about foxes. A foxes tail is about 1/3 of it's body length and seems to appear to be longer because of the long hair on it's tail.
The animal in the footage clearly has a tail much longer than that and the animal has very short hair throughout it's body. The body hair length could probably be explained if the fox had mange or some other skin condition, but there's no explaining the length of the tail and how stiff it is which are both normal for a thylacine. Also, a fox would normally walk and be seen with it's tail held lower than it's back. The film shows an animal who's tail never goes lower than straight back the same height as it's spine.
Also, keep in mind this footage was taken from a good distance. The animal whatever it is, has no idea it's being filmed. The farther the distance, the grainier the film will be when it's enlarged.
My hopes are small too but I still have some hope.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/ecology/ecologyfacts

Last edited by marino760; 09-04-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 05:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is a valid point. The one study supposedly put out over 500 game cameras; you would think that some great pictures would be headed to the internet - but we have not seen any. So, like BF, the longer this hunt goes on for an existing animal; the less likely it will be to actually find one. But, for the time being, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The survey on the Cape York Peninsula didn't begin until April or later last year due to rains. Prof. Bill Laurence said of the survey:

Quote:
“Everything is being handled with strict confidence, so we won’t be able to say exactly where we are conducting the surveys aside from it being on the Cape York Peninsula.”

The research trip won’t begin until at least April [2017] as the team waits for the high river levels on Cape York to recede, and also to receive appropriate permits and landowner permissions for the search.
(source)

My guess is: either the study is still ongoing (they may have had additional logisticl problems, or have been struggling with the permit and permission issues), or they're analyzing the data before they publish the results and announce their findings to the world.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:20 PM

We also need to keep in mind that not every one will be happy if it's found the thylacine still exists in small numbers. It opens up a huge can of worms with preserving large tracts of land as they are and undisturbed, and limiting human contact into those areas. For certain, it's not great news for ranchers any more than reintroducing the wolf in parts of North America was good news for ranchers here.
Environmentalists will demand a great deal to keep the population not only viable but see to it that the population is allowed to grow. The history of the thylacine is one of Australia's biggest embarrassments. It would be interesting to see how the Australian government reacts trying to keep a balance between farming and ranching, and the needs of the thylocine to prosper in Tasmania.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:41 PM

I agree with both of you; I'm just impatient!

Old 09-06-2018, 01:08 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If Forrest gets footage he isn't sharing it any time soon because he wants to get the area protected. We won't know until his show airs next season unless someone spills the beans

Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If Forrest gets footage he isn't sharing it any time soon because he wants to get the area protected. We won't know until his show airs next season unless someone spills the beans

I hate waiting to the end of a show; where are all the leakers when we need them! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal