U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:56 AM

15,940 posts, read 24,704,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I hate waiting to the end of a show; where are all the leakers when we need them! Thanks!
He must work with a really small, tight crew for nothing to get out; add to it the one local he usually has. I don't recall if this one had a local like the leopard.

He's been after the Thylacine for years; I remember seeing a special on Discovery a year or so before Extinct or Alive. There was at least one other animal featured in an hour long show before his series came to be but I can't recall what it was.

Have to say, he uses whatever technology he can get his hands on and if there are animals out there, he will find them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 05:17 AM

17,971 posts, read 14,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He must work with a really small, tight crew for nothing to get out; add to it the one local he usually has. I don't recall if this one had a local like the leopard.

He's been after the Thylacine for years; I remember seeing a special on Discovery a year or so before Extinct or Alive. There was at least one other animal featured in an hour long show before his series came to be but I can't recall what it was.

Have to say, he uses whatever technology he can get his hands on and if there are animals out there, he will find them.

By the time we find out we will probably have to put out trail cameras to locate this thread!

I just hope they find more than one. Of course it would have to be more than one to have survived this long.

I don't think his crew is that small if he is the one placing and maintaining the over 500 trial cameras. Of course he could possibly enlist the help and support of a local college or university.

Here is some more good reading on the Thylacine: https://theconversation.com/friday-e...ylacines-91473. One little interesting fact is that Australia paid 2,184 bounties off between 1888 and 1909. Of course there were probably many killed where the shooters never claimed the bounty. That article also has great links inside the article.

Thank you for your post!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
By the time we find out we will probably have to put out trail cameras to locate this thread!

I just hope they find more than one. Of course it would have to be more than one to have survived this long.

I don't think his crew is that small if he is the one placing and maintaining the over 500 trial cameras. Of course he could possibly enlist the help and support of a local college or university.

Here is some more good reading on the Thylacine: https://theconversation.com/friday-e...ylacines-91473. One little interesting fact is that Australia paid 2,184 bounties off between 1888 and 1909. Of course there were probably many killed where the shooters never claimed the bounty. That article also has great links inside the article.

Thank you for your post!
I originally found it on the side bar as a hot thread I think or on the main page live feed. I then lost it when my browser crashed, I just did a search. From memory there are 3 threads on the subject. There were almost 4, I was gonna make one in the TV section for the show lol

I wish I knew when his show will be back on, it was much too short; about 8 episodes. He's very passionate about all animals he sees while filming. I'm not the type to watch these shows but he makes it pretty interesting. I especially loved his duct tape method to get hair samples and was surprised he pulled them all down. I would have thought he'd have someone local finishing up. He seems to meet up with locals that share his passions as well as local scientists. I also wondered why he was using trail cams with cards and not live feeds but I guess there may be no network in the jungles.

Thanks for the article. My son has relatives that were in Australia from Ireland and Scotland that settled there around that time. I wonder if any of their surnames are in the books of hunters.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the article. My son has relatives that were in Australia from Ireland and Scotland that settled there around that time. I wonder if any of their surnames are in the books of hunters.

Make sure you follow the sub links inside that article; there is so much more information in those links. Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Make sure you follow the sub links inside that article; there is so much more information in those links. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for reminding me. I was going to click a few links before but got side tracked with grand kids. I want to link 2 linked articles so I remember to go back and finish reading them after my grandson goes to school. The 1st one has a lot of info that I didn't realize had been collected.

Species Profile and Threats Database

Tasmanian tiger joey 3D scans may unlock evolutionary mystery

Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 AM

5,855 posts, read 4,550,166 times
Quote:
This current study I've been following is funded and run by Dr. Sandra Abell and Dr. Bill Laurance at James Cook University:

https://www.jcu.edu.au/news/releases...asmanian-tiger

If that's the one we're talking about, then if Forrest Galante is involved in the project at all, I suspect it's as a consultant or media reporter of the results rather than a direct participant in the research. He's a self-described "wildlife adventurer", and as far as I can tell from what I've read has no connection with the university.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
This current study I've been following is funded and run by Dr. Sandra Abell and Dr. Bill Laurance at James Cook University:

https://www.jcu.edu.au/news/releases...asmanian-tiger

If that's the one we're talking about, then if Forrest Galante is involved in the project at all, I suspect it's as a consultant or media reporter of the results rather than a direct participant in the research. He's a self-described "wildlife adventurer", and as far as I can tell from what I've read has no connection with the university.

I saw that the James Cook University was involved in the study. I do not know If Forrest Galante has anything to do with their study or if he is doing his own research? I guess all will be clear with time. Of course the more the merrier when it comes to this research; we might have our answers quicker.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:26 AM

5,855 posts, read 4,550,166 times
Quote:
I saw that the James Cook University was involved in the study. I do not know If Forrest Galante has anything to do with their study or if he is doing his own research? I guess all will be clear with time. Of course the more the merrier when it comes to this research; we might have our answers quicker.
I hope he does a show on the results, whatever they are -- I like what he does on Extinct or Alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal