Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

I am starting off with this link to the quest to genetically engineer the thylacine and the effort to reintroduce it back into the wild. Here is a link to a long, but well produced, story about that quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlY-j8JPeg

For those that do not have 48 minutes to watch a great video here is an article about the quest to
reintroduce the animal: https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...b5153e2c2c07e7.

At the same time as they are trying to use science to recreate the animal; we also have a very active investigations into the possibility that they were never extinct: https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...b94654a50f5862. The problem I do have with many of the current sightings is that we still lack clear evidence. On the other hand; the investigations have great backing and they are putting out hundreds of trail cameras with the hope of getting new footage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I believe they are still around. I really hope so.
At least more probable than bigfoot.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
I'm following the reverse engineering and Cape York stories closely, because I too hope we didn't manage to wipe them off the face of the planet forever.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Millions of species have become extinct since long ago. Perhaps that is the way of nature.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:33 PM

Out of curiosity; did anybody watch the YouTube video for the entire 48 minutes? I enjoyed it and it is better than staring at a hall!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Haven't watched it yet, think I'll do so tomorrow ...

Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Ok, so if they do re-create it, then what will be next? We do not have the rules and regulations in place to keep up with the technology.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Ok, so if they do re-create it, then what will be next? We do not have the rules and regulations in place to keep up with the technology.
I

In this case, since mankind deliberately hunted the animal to extinction, one could argue that we already played god. I am curious what drove the government to hunt it to extinction?

Old 08-30-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I
In this case, since mankind deliberately hunted the animal to extinction, one could argue that we already played god. I am curious what drove the government to hunt it to extinction?
See the section titled "Eradicating a threat" in the following link. The public hated them and (falsely) blamed them for livestock losses, so the government put a bounty on them. By the time it was realized the species was going extinct, it was too late:

Source: https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/sc...ger-go-extinct

But there were other factors involved in its extinction. The thylacine is thought to have gone extinct on the mainland about 2000 years ago, and only a small population survived on Tasmania by the time Europeans arrived:

Quote:
The species was rapidly viewed as a pest and a dangerous threat to livestock, though many of these claims were highly exaggerated. ...

[G]rowing scientific evidence reveals a complex tapestry of forces involved in their decline. Among these are competition with dogs, habitat loss and changing fire regimes leading to population fragmentation, and an epidemic disease that spread through the population in the 1920s.
So the bounty appears to have been the final blow to a species that was already on the way out for a number of reasons. Dogs arrived in Australia about 4000 years ago, and both thylacines and the Tasmanian devil went extinct 2000 years later. Climate change may have been a factor in their (supposed) extinction on the mainland, and/or the activity of dingoes and humans. Both species had low genetic diversity and poor genetic health, which also contributed to their decline.

Source: https://www.australiangeographic.com...the-same-time/

Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
See the section titled "Eradicating a threat" in the following link. The public hated them and (falsely) blamed them for livestock losses, so the government put a bounty on them. By the time it was realized the species was going extinct, it was too late:

Source: https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/sc...ger-go-extinct

But there were other factors involved in its extinction. The thylacine is thought to have gone extinct on the mainland about 2000 years ago, and only a small population survived on Tasmania by the time Europeans arrived:

So the bounty appears to have been the final blow to a species that was already on the way out for a number of reasons. Dogs arrived in Australia about 4000 years ago, and both thylacines and the Tasmanian devil went extinct 2000 years later. Climate change may have been a factor in their (supposed) extinction on the mainland, and/or the activity of dingoes and humans. Both species had low genetic diversity and poor genetic health, which also contributed to their decline.

Source: https://www.australiangeographic.com...the-same-time/

What is interesting about that second link is that, even if science can recreate these Tasmanian tigers, that they might not survive in the wild.

On the other hand, should all the searches prove that there are some still out there; then there would be a good chance of reintroduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal