U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 AM

4,519 posts, read 4,011,159 times

Advertisements

In the media again so obviously news is slow recently.
Media 3-6th September 2018 ( Link 1 here )

Quote:
Ian Wilson, a United Kingdom-based video producer who claimed to have spotted missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in a Cambodian jungle on Google Maps, is now planning to search the area in a helicopter to confirm his theory. According to the Daily Star, the Briton is putting to test his claim for a multimillion-dollar prize money.
I think it is worth posting this here because I believe there are a number of places on Google Maps where aircraft like this are 'ghost ships' which appear occasionally on the map and I think are the result of a Google software stitching error.

This one does NOT look like an aircraft of the correct type, to me it looks like a much smaller aircraft with maybe two engines not four. I think I remember the same ghost image has appeared in another similar claim some time ago.

I also dont believe the image is a real on-the-ground plane as these pictures from Bing and Digital Globe show (although I am not sure of the date they were taken (May 2014) or whether they were both taken by the same satellite) (this link to Cambodia expats online forum)

Ian Wilson obviously does not know of the IIRC ghost aircraft in Google Maps so has said he wants to go to Cambodia to see for himself. Goodluck with that. Is it a good investment to go see for himself? Maybe, as the reward is supposed to be millions of dollars for the finding of MH370. He has called for a satellite fly-over from Google.

Link 2 here

Link 3 here

Link 4 here
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 AM

17,777 posts, read 14,064,442 times
To me and I am no expert; it looks like it is fairly intact for landing in a jungle. I would think that the large trees would have torn it apart. I would be curious what the slowest possible landing speed would be for a plane this size?

That said, if this would turn out to be true, it would raise even more questions about where the 'identified' parts came from in the original salvage investigation. But it is still a long ways away from proving anything at this point. Does anybody know if it would be possible that one picture superimposed an aircraft in the air on the ground? It seems funny that subsequent pictures showed nothing; but the jungle does recover very quickly.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 AM

87,821 posts, read 81,562,175 times
I don't see how it's possible for the plane to land fairly intact like that, in a jungle. There's no way the wings wouldn't have gotten torn off, at the very least.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:11 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,571,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Ocpaul, going off topic a bit; wanted to post this in the last thread discussion on MH370. Forensic Astrology is still a pseudo-science. Take from it what you will.

MH370 part 1
https://astrologyincrime.com/2014/03/19/mh370/

MH370 Part 2
https://astrologyincrime.com/2014/04/18/mh370-pt-2/

Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

5,312 posts, read 3,066,826 times
Quote:

I think it is worth posting this here because I believe there are a number of places on Google Maps where aircraft like this are 'ghost ships' which appear occasionally on the map and I think are the result of a Google software stitching error.

This one does NOT look like an aircraft of the correct type, to me it looks like a much smaller aircraft with maybe two engines not four. I think I remember the same ghost image has appeared in another similar claim some time ago.

I also dont believe the image is a real on-the-ground plane as these pictures from Bing and Digital Globe show (although I am not sure of the date they were taken (May 2014) or whether they were both taken by the same satellite) (this link to Cambodia expats online forum)

Ian Wilson obviously does not know of the IIRC ghost aircraft in Google Maps so has said he wants to go to Cambodia to see for himself. Goodluck with that. Is it a good investment to go see for himself? Maybe, as the reward is supposed to be millions of dollars for the finding of MH370. He has called for a satellite fly-over from Google.

Link 2 here

Link 3 here

Link 4 here
Yes to the stitching error, and I think the specific incident you are thinking about is the apparent plane that was submerged in a lake in Minnesota (was on "What On Earth?" several times, a reasonably respectable program, but tends toward the dramatic).

Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
To me and I am no expert; it looks like it is fairly intact for landing in a jungle. I would think that the large trees would have torn it apart. I would be curious what the slowest possible landing speed would be for a plane this size?

That said, if this would turn out to be true, it would raise even more questions about where the 'identified' parts came from in the original salvage investigation. But it is still a long ways away from proving anything at this point. Does anybody know if it would be possible that one picture superimposed an aircraft in the air on the ground? It seems funny that subsequent pictures showed nothing; but the jungle does recover very quickly.
Yes, it is possible and happens.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Link 2 here

Link 3 here

Link 4 here
The MH370 was a Boeing 777ER200, and that aircraft only has two engines.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 PM

12,580 posts, read 8,192,103 times
What you are looking is is a plane flying below google satellite and an incredibly lucky time for photo to be taken.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:54 AM

21,525 posts, read 19,322,878 times
Its last sighting was flying over the Maldives at a low altitude heading SW. So I doubt it ended up in Cambodia.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:21 PM

6,922 posts, read 8,626,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Its last sighting was flying over the Maldives at a low altitude heading SW. So I doubt it ended up in Cambodia.
I believe that Maldives sighting was debunked a long time ago.
It was never seen.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal