Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You might try over at Beliefnet.com. I believe they have forums, but I couldn’t find them. I am not a member and forums might be for members only.

I didn't find anything there, Tally, but I did find a snippet on, of all places, Amazon:

"He attracts all positive aspects such as blessing, wealth, success, career, good health and children. You can place him anywhere except toilet and bathroom. Best Feng Shui location ~ Living room or office near main entrance, where you can see him everyday. This attracts positive energy!! ~ Place it on office/study desk can help for concentration. Any feelings of stress or negativity are quickly dissolved and replaced by a calm, mindful, and peaceful mind."

I'll still keep searching for more details, but thank you to Everyone for your help! I appreciate it & wish you the good blessings of the resting buddha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I can't reach your 2nd link. I'll try again tomorrow. But, if you find something on the buddha I asked about, I'd be forever grateful.
Yes, I just clicked it on and I'm seeing the same as you.... some kind of technical problem.

With regard to the image you originally posted, there's not a lot of information about it, apart from flowery words used as a sales pitch. I'm sure you've seen numerous versions of the pose online, some ceramic, some wood carved, some in brass, possibly some done in plastic, and so on. Unfortunately, they lead to websites selling the image, but give no real information explaining the purpose of the pose. It might be worth asking yourself, when you see it, what impression does it mean to you?

Although I can't be 100% certain as to the origin of the style of the pose, the image you posted seems possible to be a Thai style. In particular, I was noticing the detail of the garment. I would also hazard a guess that the pose of the figure could possibly be somewhat of a modern style. Every new figure, even ancient ones of classic style, were at one time new in artistic style and pose, and new to the view of people.

I'm not a Buddhist, but I have a lot of Thai friends who are (some are Buddhist monks) in Thailand, so I'll try to check around to see if any of them are familiar with it and can provide a bit of background about it.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Unfortunately, they lead to websites... but give no real information explaining the purpose of the pose. It might be worth asking yourself, when you see it, what impression does it mean to you?

Hi, NB. I'm interested in the history. Each pose & gesture is not a mistake. For example, pick a Hindu god, like Ginesha & look at the wealth of info available on the varying poses of varying statues... each foot (lifted or flat) means something different, he's stepping on a mouse for a reason, each hand gesture means something specific, etc. I can't seem to get anyone to understand that I'm looking for the history of that particular pose... not guesses.

Quote:
Although I can't be 100% certain as to the origin of the style of the pose, the image you posted seems possible to be a Thai style. In particular, I was noticing the detail of the garment.

That pic is taken from online as an example only & there are many styles of the resting buddha, due to the many kinds of Buddhism... "three dominant strains of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana, along with a fourth-Zen Buddhism-that grew out of Mahayana and has gained increasing popularity in the West. A number of individual schools and traditions have formed under the banner of Mahayana, including Zen Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Pure Land Buddhism, and Tantric Buddhism."

Quote:
I'm not a Buddhist, but I have a lot of Thai friends who are (some are Buddhist monks) in Thailand, so I'll try to check around to see if any of them are familiar with it and can provide a bit of background about it.

You're very kind. No need to call Thailand (yikes, that would be $$$), but I much appreciate your offer. There has to be something online somewhere. It could be that he has a different name... I find some, but very little info under the resting or napping buddha. Lord Shiva has 108 names, as an example. I probably just don't know the name/s.

Thank you kindly for your response.

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 09-08-2018 at 11:05 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 08:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Hi, NB. I'm interested in the history. Each pose & gesture is not a mistake. For example, pick a Hindu god, like Ginesha & look at the wealth of info available on the varying poses of varying statues... each foot (lifted or flat) means something different, he's stepping on a mouse for a reason, each hand gesture means something specific, etc. I can't seem to get anyone to understand that I'm looking for the history of that particular pose... not guesses.
Yes, I understand it's about your historical interest about gestures and postures which have different symbolic meanings.

Quote:
That pic is taken from online as an example only & there are many styles of the resting buddha, due to the many kinds of Buddhism... "three dominant strains of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana, along with a fourth-Zen Buddhism-that grew out of Mahayana and has gained increasing popularity in the West. A number of individual schools and traditions have formed under the banner of Mahayana, including Zen Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Pure Land Buddhism, and Tantric Buddhism."
Within the last 30 years, the only Asian country I've spent any time in is Thailand. Buddhism in Thailand is primarily Theravada and the majority of Thais are Buddhists. Again, I'm not a Buddhist, so I'm by no means any kind of "expert" on the subject. But over the course of time, a person is likely to pick up and learn a few things about the culture, beliefs, traditions, etc. Much of that is thanks to good Thai friends and acquaintances I've made over the years. There's always something new to learn. Even within Thailand, what is common in practice in one region of the country, can be a slightly different in another region. Much of the practice of Buddhism there is blended with Animism. That's also true with language, of which there are several dialects.

Quote:
You're very kind. No need to call Thailand (yikes, that would be $$$), but I much appreciate your offer. There has to be something online somewhere. It could be that he has a different name... I find some, but very little info under the resting or napping buddha. Lord Shiva has 108 names, as an example. I probably just don't know the name/s.

Thank you kindly for your response.
No problem. About the only time I call Thailand is for urgent or emergency reasons. Fortunately, these days, it can be easier just to use email. Using an e-tablet or i-Pad can also be handy for instant "face to face" electronic communication.

I'm sure you're probably right, that there is information online. Whether it's in English or not is another story, but it probably is.

So, the image you posted was just meant as a single example of posture, but not necessarily that the image is the only example. In effect, you're looking for info that covers a wider variety of postures and gestures and what they symbolically represent. Right?

I'm still inclined to think that the subject would be more suitable for the Religion forum's Buddhism sub-forum. There might be people there who are more knowledgeable.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Buddhism has many sects that have evolved over the centuries with a thousand different variations in thought and imagery. It really doesn’t matter if the the Buddha figure fits into some classic pose and represents some particular meaning. Use your imagination. It’s whatever you think it represents through the practice of silent meditation.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I followed your statue using DuckDuckGo which took me to a Pinterest site: https://www.pinterest.com/bighappybuddha/buddha-decor/ and then to a 'BigHappyBuddha' site which for some reason I cannot copy. But you can link there from the Pinterest site. That last site advertises and has a phone number at the top of the page. Perhaps they can answer questions about your Buddha? The only thing I saw was "peaceful, resting, Buddha".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal