U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
1,877 posts, read 870,448 times
Reputation: 4144

Advertisements

For lack of a better forum to place this (Religion?) I thought I'd give it a go here. If anyone is familiar with the varying gods/goddesses in Hinduism, this q is directed towards you.

I'm familiar with & it's easy to search online for meanings to varying statues in their varying poses. Amazing to find each hand & foot gesture or posture, etc. has a specific meaning.

But, I can find nothing on the meaning of the resting buddha. I can guess, of course, but I'm asking for specific info. Anyone? Thank you!


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,571,436 times
Reputation: 18077
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
For lack of a better forum to place this (Religion?) I thought I'd give it a go here. If anyone is familiar with the varying gods/goddesses in Hinduism, this q is directed towards you.

I'm familiar with & it's easy to search online for meanings to varying statues in their varying poses. Amazing to find each hand & foot gesture or posture, etc. has a specific meaning.

But, I can find nothing on the meaning of the resting buddha. I can guess, of course, but I'm asking for specific info. Anyone? Thank you!

Is it This 4:01


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfkjoNftBIo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
1,877 posts, read 870,448 times
Reputation: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Is it This 4:01
See, you can't find it either. That's reclining buddha, not resting buddha. A for effort, however.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,779 posts, read 4,494,139 times
Reputation: 10972
All of the links returned in a search for "resting buddha" are for sites that offer statues for sale, or pages by people who have purchased one for their homes. Perhaps it's a modern innovation, kind of like some of the 'modern' images of the Christ that western Christians have cooked up out of a misplaced attempt to make Him 'accessible':

https://www.lordsart.com/noapnebystss.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 AM
 
5,338 posts, read 8,869,999 times
Reputation: 7656
That is a contented Buddha after a delicious meal. This signifies prosperity or abundance for everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
1,877 posts, read 870,448 times
Reputation: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
All of the links returned in a search for "resting buddha" are for sites that offer statues for sale, or pages by people who have purchased one for their homes.
Yes, I know. That's why I asked if someone had some link I've just not dug deep enough to find, yet... or, perhaps, had familiarity with the religion. There's so much info on all the gods/goddesses & their varying poses, I find it very odd to not find anything about this 1 pose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
 
13,592 posts, read 22,224,588 times
Reputation: 24346
I have seen a few places that say it’s a meditative peaceful position, at the same time saying that the hand position is the same thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
1,877 posts, read 870,448 times
Reputation: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have seen a few places that say it’s a meditative peaceful position, at the same time saying that the hand position is the same thing.

Do you have links to those few places, TM?


Someone in some old msg board from 10-15 yrs ago said it meant that the house is peaceful, as buddha is able to sleep with his mind being on nothing urgent. I'd like to find something to read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,081 posts, read 25,571,436 times
Reputation: 18077
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
See, you can't find it either. That's reclining buddha, not resting buddha. A for effort, however.
Foxfire brings up both photos for resting buddha. Someone asked the q on Yahoo yrs back with a reply; meditative state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
1,877 posts, read 870,448 times
Reputation: 4144
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Foxfire brings up both photos for resting buddha. Someone asked the q on Yahoo yrs back with a reply; meditative state.
I appreciate the help, but we can all do cursory searches. Sleeping/reclining buddha isn't resting buddha, as I've stated. You can google pics for Tom Cruise & find pics of women only, because someone tagged him in the pic. So, yes... there are pics of sleeping mingled w/resting.

I'm asking for links & details so I can read about it further. Can't find any. Neither can anyone yet. I'm confused as to why this isn't yet clear after stating it 5 & hopefully, the last time.

Hopefully, someone who has a link will chime in. Thanks everyone for trying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top