Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM

765 posts, read 471,439 times

Advertisements

Really? EVERYONE is afraid of black cats??? my my my, that's quite the generalization!!!!! i've never given a thought to being afraid of a black cat or a black dog or a black bird. hmmmmmmmmmmm. black is bad, now there's another generalization.... Look. Ignorance is everywhere. i don't go in for superstitions or crazy tales from 6,000 years ago.... oh, and what's that "ancient Egyptians thought cats were sneaky?" HUH?????????????????????????????????? um. Egyptians thought cats were gods but most often goddesses, had religions centered on them, they were sacred things, not sneaky little devils!!!! One of the ancient Egyptian goddesses had a cat's head, and she was the goddess of fertility..... Cats were so revered, many were mummified just as a human would be, buried in mass graves and offered as sacred sacrifices..... anyone harming a cat would be punished severely.

I think people often don't like what they can't keep in line, what isn't totally obedient.... i'm just supposing a cat is as suspect as any human who is inclined to be independent, thinking on their own, and not slavishly attached to others..... humans don't like anything different from the norm, the crowd, unruly, what society deems proper, befitting and socially redeemable. Cats have that whole aloof cool, you can go to hell kinda mindset that just doesn't sit well with many. As for witches, you want to go back 600 years or so and try to see why "witches" were so dangerous to their community.... women way way way back back back were the holders of lore, of ancient healing ways with herbs.... then in the middle ages ages came the rise of guilds, professional societies for men as women certainly were tradespeople, carpenters, blacksmiths.... all professions were pretty much held by men, when "medicine" became part of society as a trade, and included in guilds, MEN certainly saw women as competition in the healing arts, and the great purges started, eradicating power from women and transferring it over to men. pretty soon any woman not deemed in her place, or as not toeing the line as far as obedience was going to be seen as dangerous..... today you can fast forward to huge misconceptions about wicca, about "witches" or pagans who live their lives in harmony with nature, with cycles of the moon, with whole different lexicons about what is sacred...... so so so ridiculous, what people want to believe as "bad" as "dangerous" as just not sacred as they believe sacred to be. what is sacred to me I am almost totally sure is not at all what you might think as sacred.... does that make me a witch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Myths on cats, in particular solid black and white go back centurys; some of those myths still adopted today, and not familar enough with Wicca to speak to their beliefs on the subject. They're all special creatures, imo. Color genetic, like the human race. I dont label them either.
^^^Yes...

The mystique and myth surrounding cats comes from a time when logic/education/science were not what they are today. It was not that long ago doctors placed leeches on ill patients to draw out the "bad blood".

Was it that white cats were vilified and or assigned demonic powers due to the fact their coats played a role in feral one's killing more of a farmer's livestock due to not being seen when the weather was "white" outside? Or black cats only showing their eyes in the dark when a torch or lantern was held in their direction, giving them a demonic look?

Without the benefits of modern science explaining the iridescence/illumination of cat eyes, one could easily see how these properties might have been assigned to less "scientific" reasoning...

These qualities may also have inspired imagination less troubling and/or derogatory for the cat...

Was the character of the "Cheshire Cat" in Lewis Carroll's "Alice In Wonderland" possibly inspired by Carroll owning a black cat and maybe only seeing it's eyes and white teeth of an English evening, when venturing out to retrieve the cat before he retired for the night?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,360,474 times
I feel bad for the animals that's mistreated because of their colors. Not their fault.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 AM

225 posts, read 216,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I feel bad for the animals that's mistreated because of their colors. Not their fault.
Human racism against animals. Humans have problem with others because of skin color, so their ignorance takes them down to also treat the same to animals. Disgusting.
God created humans to respect one another, and treat animals the same. But like everything else, humans think their methods are better.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Any dangers associated with a White cat?

Definitely more frequent vacuuming of the furniture.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM

225 posts, read 216,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,632,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Not if you have white furniture. But of course the cat barfs clash with that.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Not if you have white furniture. But of course the cat barfs clash with that.

My cats eat their barf

Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM

12,797 posts, read 9,298,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
My cats eat their barf
Coulda gone all day without getting that mental image ....

Old 09-21-2018, 02:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,815 times
Here's a black cat we used to have.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal