Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,273,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It looks like this place is literally out in the middle of nowhere, on a mountain peak, so it must have been really important if the feds got involved.
I've been to Sunspot and the Solar Observatory on Sacramento Peak probably in 2002 or 2003, back when I lived in Tucson and was doing a day trip out to New Mexico.

Other than being the largest solar observatory/telescope at the time, it's not that exciting of a place. There are some astronomical telescopes up there as well, but then again, nothing really crazy huge or big. I also have been to the second largest solar observatory/telescope, which is on Kitt Peak, just west of Tucson.

With regards to the solar observatory thing, they are currently finishing up a new largest solar observatory/telescope out on Maui near Haleakala called the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope. It's "first light" should be in 2019, and I thought I read a few years ago, that once this one was operational that they were going to shut down the solar telescopes in Sunspot and Kitt Peak, but maybe that has changed?

Whatever is going on (or happened up there) I don't think it's terrorist related IMO. Don't know why terrorists would go after such a target, but if they were, there's a heck of a lot better places to do stuff/damage, like all the scopes on the Big Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 04:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,936,241 times
decommissioning

Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,067,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
decommissioning
<--- !!!

Something happened with the antennas. The FBI was there to evacuate the location, investigate what happened with the antennas, and take care of any resistance to the evacuation.

The FBI is a federal agency, the observatory is a federal facility, and the post office is federal as well.

The name of the place is Sunspot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2dfDS8g0Q

Perhaps something was recorded that didn't seem right and lead to the antennas needing maintenance. Just out of consideration for any possible other issues, everything was evacuated to facilitate any ongoing investigation.

Perhaps a convoy of aliens partied near the observatory - I don't know. Time will tell. Maybe the Feds are just closing the observatory to save money, cause how many of these observatories do we need?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM

18,756 posts, read 18,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I've been to Sunspot and the Solar Observatory on Sacramento Peak probably in 2002 or 2003, back when I lived in Tucson and was doing a day trip out to New Mexico.

Other than being the largest solar observatory/telescope at the time, it's not that exciting of a place. There are some astronomical telescopes up there as well, but then again, nothing really crazy huge or big. I also have been to the second largest solar observatory/telescope, which is on Kitt Peak, just west of Tucson.

With regards to the solar observatory thing, they are currently finishing up a new largest solar observatory/telescope out on Maui near Haleakala called the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope. It's "first light" should be in 2019, and I thought I read a few years ago, that once this one was operational that they were going to shut down the solar telescopes in Sunspot and Kitt Peak, but maybe that has changed?

Whatever is going on (or happened up there) I don't think it's terrorist related IMO. Don't know why terrorists would go after such a target, but if they were, there's a heck of a lot better places to do stuff/damage, like all the scopes on the Big Island.

Ok; now I am confused. The FBI closed two different solar observatories at the same time: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ctid=12125818? The one in Sacramento and the one in New Mexico?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,273,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Ok; now I am confused. The FBI closed two different solar observatories at the same time: The one in Sacramento and the one in New Mexico?
The National Solar Observatory is in Sunspot, New Mexico, which is on Sacramento Peak, located within the Lincoln National Forest.
The New Zealand Herald screwed up in saying Sacramento, US.

If you're ever in that part of the country and haven't been up there yet, it's really beautiful.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:23 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,936,241 times
the New Mexico location has a lens with lots of mercury in it (for focusing).
it's dangerous and valuable. so security is necessary and evacuation required.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 PM

12,749 posts, read 9,266,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
the New Mexico location has a lens with lots of mercury in it (for focusing).
it's dangerous and valuable. so security is necessary and evacuation required.
Neither mercury (if it's there ... I have no idea if they have liquid mirror telescopes there or not) or decommissioning would require the FBI.

There's gotta be some sort of federal crime.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,080,980 times
Heard speculation about espionage, some foreign power stealing info or a plant sending secrets out of the facility. Curious thing is the town itself being evacuated. I can see the speculation of first contact happening with the town veing the landing site. I doubt this though.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 PM

17,311 posts, read 11,166,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Heard speculation about espionage, some foreign power stealing info or a plant sending secrets out of the facility. Curious thing is the town itself being evacuated. I can see the speculation of first contact happening with the town veing the landing site. I doubt this though.
The only reason to evacuate the entire town would be to keep what they were doing a secret. There is no other logical explanation. Nothing else makes any sense, not mercury, illegal drugs, a mysterious package from the post office nor anything else that has been mentioned. Whatever was happening, the FBI didn't want anyone to see it.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,884,876 times
I would be asking where did the employees go ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal