Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times

Advertisements

Anybody watching the new program? It's pretty good, but maybe a little overly dramatic. And Aidan Gillen is pretty much a dead ringer for Alan Hynek. The guy playing the Air Force captain is a bit cocky for an O-3. I don't think the guy who ran Project Blue Book was like that, especially to Hynek.

Lots of nice old cars in the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Anybody watching the new program? It's pretty good, but maybe a little overly dramatic. And Aidan Gillen is pretty much a dead ringer for Alan Hynek. The guy playing the Air Force captain is a bit cocky for an O-3. I don't think the guy who ran Project Blue Book was like that, especially to Hynek.

Lots of nice old cars in the program.
The problem with making any period TV or movie is that nobody likes to get those classic cars dirty. It wasn't like that back in the 1950s and 1960s. It's great to go to a classic car show and that is what these period works have turned into.

I see this program as science fiction. It takes considerable literary license because the History Channel is in the business of selling their product. Unfortunately; that does not mean that they always 'accurately' portray historic events. When you look at other shows they have like the Vikings; there was never enough written history to make an accurate series - but that did not stop them!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
I greatly enjoyed it - it has a real X-Files flavor and should appeal to fans of that show (X-Files was often overly dramatic, too). As fisheye says, don't expect much history out of History. Gillen does look a lot like Hynek (with a more stylish beard), but I'm having a hard time getting Littlefinger out of my head.

Last edited by Vasily; 01-16-2019 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Id rather watch something devoted to modern day Govt/ military investigation of the topic.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I greatly enjoyed it - it has a real X-Files flavor and should appeal to fans of that show (X-Files was often overly dramatic, too). As fisheye says, don't expect much history out of History. Gillen does look a lot like Hynek (with a more stylish beard), but I'm having a hard time getting Littlefinger out of my head.
I'm not familiar with Littlefinger, so his previous roles don't really impact me. Unless I'm mistaken, pictures of Hynek that I've seen had him in a goatee more often than not. I just think he was a stronger person in real life than the personality that is being shown. He eventually became convinced that UFOs were a real thing, and that he was pretty much pressured to make false claims (such as the "swamp gas" in Michigan).

Old 01-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I've got to go back and re-watch last night's episode (I'm recording the series). Maybe I'm losing my hearing, but much of the dialogue is so low that it's drowned out by the background music/noise. I guess I'll have to get out my Bluetooth headphones.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm not familiar with Littlefinger, so his previous roles don't really impact me. Unless I'm mistaken, pictures of Hynek that I've seen had him in a goatee more often than not. I just think he was a stronger person in real life than the personality that is being shown. He eventually became convinced that UFOs were a real thing, and that he was pretty much pressured to make false claims (such as the "swamp gas" in Michigan).
I think his beard is meant to appeal to modern audiences - who would find a goatee rather silly. Littlefinger is one of the major characters on Game of Thrones, with totally different facial hair (mustache and soul patch). It will be interesting to see how the Hynek character develops throughout the series.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 PM

Anybody notice that the program was recorded in something other than a 16:9 aspect ratio? There's a horizontal black bar at the top and the bottom, each something over an inch on my 65". Strange that a current day program woud do that.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Id rather watch something devoted to modern day Govt/ military investigation of the topic.
Well, they can't. Project Blue Book was canceled in 1969 and there's been no government/military investigation of UFOs since then.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:25 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
If it continues on the path it went this week, Ill stop watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal