Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 924 times

Advertisements

I’ve only ever experienced one earthquake in my life and it wasn’t big at all but it shook my whole house and everything.

I live in eastern Nebraska, and I remember one morning a few years ago I woke up reallllly early one morning, around 7:40 something... I usually don’t wake up that early (maybe it was a weekend or something) but I just woke up and had this feeling. I was laying in bed fully awake like “why”. So after some seconds I heard and felt this rattling, shaking feel. My pictures and floor were moving and I immediately sat up in my bed freaking out!!! I yelled out to my mom and sister and they woke up like, “???? OHH WHAT”. I tell them it’s either A: world ending or B: earthquake haha

They didn’t wake up until after I yelled out and told them...

Just wondering, does anyone else get this type of feeling before one is supposed to happen? Few days after I asked neighbors and friends and whatnot about their experience and no one else really had that same feeling. I just feel like I was supposed to be awake at that exact moment and whatnot. Or maybe I’m weird and it was just some coincidence. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 04:24 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The concept is prescience or foreknowledge. People can have it prior to a variety of events. Sometimes it is possible to trace back to clues, sometimes there seems to be no logical explanation, sometimes the mind enhances the experience after the fact.

It falls into the category of the paranormal, and I am moving the post to that forum.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I never have felt anything before one...but I have a hard time with subtleties in most everything...except hints of spices in food.
Fun topic.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
If the OP's family was sleeping there is the possibility that a smaller quake woke him and planted the idea that a larger quake would follow. Smaller quakes have occurred before the larger ones occasionally: https://slate.com/technology/2014/04...e-big-one.html.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
You might have been waken by the first shake,

I've felt plenty of earthquakes, and haven't felt a sense of anticipation beforehand.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Some animals are said to be able to "feel" an earthquake coming, and I don't think it's due to some psychic-like "prescience". But I've never heard of humans having that sensitivity to changes in nature. When I was in my teens and 20's, though, I used to have a similar kind of prescience to yours, where I'd wake up at an odd hour, just before something would happen; minor events much more mundane than an earthquake. I hardly remember that, now. But I remember thinking, that whatever it was that caused me to wake up unexpectedly, was a good instinct to have, in case of a real emergency.

My grandmother woke up one morning in San Francisco, as a child, and suddenly sat up in bed. Seconds later, a huge chunk of ceiling plaster crashed down onto her pillow. It was the great earthquake of 1906.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If the OP's family was sleeping there is the possibility that a smaller quake woke him and planted the idea that a larger quake would follow. Smaller quakes have occurred before the larger ones occasionally: https://slate.com/technology/2014/04...e-big-one.html.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You might have been waken by the first shake,

I've felt plenty of earthquakes, and haven't felt a sense of anticipation beforehand.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
When I was a kid I had gone out with my family to the beach and had a great day, for a kid, but had a "weird" mental feeling despite that. We got home and things were fine and then ALL of a sudden I felt very nauseated and lightheaded. We had a finished basement with a bathroom and I went down there to lay down. I didn't understand why I felt so physically ill and also kind of creeped out. My family came down to the basement to make sure I was ok. It had started raining and thundering and all of a sudden we heard loud wind and cracking noises from outside, and no one moved until they stopped. In a few minutes I started to feel normal, miraculously it seemed. A freak tornado had hit our neighborhood. Although our home was not badly damaged there was damage to neighbor's homes, and some people had been injured by glass and debris.

My temporary ill feeling made me go down in the basement and brought my family down there during this event. We shuddered at what could have happened if there had been a direct hit, and we had been upstairs or outside. I have never had that kind of sick feeling hit me so hard and fast, and then go away so quickly.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Animals often seem to be able to detect subtle changes just before an earthquake or tsunami. With the big quake and tsunami on 26 December 2004 in Indonesia, the one that killed a quarter of a million people, it was said that people observed elephants and other animals moving to higher ground before there was any news of a quake or impending tsunami. Elephants can communicate with sub-sonic sounds below the frequency which humans can hear. So it's possible that they could hear the vibrations of the quake before the tsunami reached them.

On a personal level, I was about 12 (1971), and visiting Long Beach CA, when a 6.5 quake hit in the San Fernando Valley. I was sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor. I awoke to my grandpa's dog barking and shaking beside me. I tried to quiet him for at least 30-60 seconds before the earthquake shaking began. At the time the dog started acting up, there was no motion or sound that I could hear. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with this dog. If there had been shaking I would have felt it since I was lying on the floor. I was wide awake and sitting up holding the dog when the dishes began to rattle and the shaking started. The dog had either heard sub-sonic sounds, or felt some miniscule shaking too small to be detected by me.

tamajane: I think you may have experienced a headache/nausea associated with a sudden drop in barometic pressure that occurs in a severe storm or tornado.( https://www.healthline.com/health/he...ssure-headache)
Fortunately, you went to the basement, for which I have absolutely no explanation. Lucky for you and your family that you did!

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-19-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
It might be that some people are more sensitive than others to infrasound that is generated before an earthquake. I don't think we have enough data to say for sure at this point.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...oo-2632570.php
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923251/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal