Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
And I must say I really do understand that some of us operate
primarily on one side of the brain. It's how we're made.

So you have the people that are open to the supernatural events and those that just can't open to them cuz they can't 'see' them so they seem illogical, the Left brainers... I get it.
What causes them to then put us down is the thing that is mean or unnecessary. (We "should run to a shrink fast!")

(Not that you do that!)
It is not so much of a question of the left side compared to the right side. It is more of a question of 'blind faith' and some of us have no 'blind faith'. If we all answered the phone every time it rang and agreed to the terms of every telemarketer; we would all be broke. We have to draw the line some place and, with me, it has to be based on evidence and findings that can be reproduced for verification.

I like to think there are things we have not discovered or experienced; but I am a hard sell. I need that rattlesnake to sink its fangs in my butt before I buy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About ten or fifteen years ago my wife and I spotted a mountain lion on a dirt road about fifteen miles from our home. Of course the official position of our Game Commission is that there is no such animal in PA. I reported it immediately after getting home and was basically told not to drink so much (we did not drink). I had asked them if I could shoot the animal if I ever saw it again and they told me it was 'endangered'. I asked them how it could be endangered if it did not exist! Anyway; I promised not to shoot it if I ever saw it again and I never did see it again. But it is a catch 22; it is illegal to even produce proof (other than a roadkill).

So I can sympathize with the OP asking the question. I just have no idea how to believe without questioning.
Well Fish, back in 2011, I'm not sure if you remember or not but someone hit and killed a mountain lion in Connecticut with their car. So unless the mountain lion stayed north of PA in New York State, I would guess it might have traveled through the Poconos to get to Connecticut?

Claims of Mountain Lions Roaming in Connecticut Drew Groans ... Until Saturday

My late step-Dad, also had a sighting, maybe 10-15 years ago, outside of Scranton in Newton Township and he swears it was a mountain lion, maybe it was the same one you and your wife saw?

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-18-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:38 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
And I must say I really do understand that some of us operate
primarily on one side of the brain. It's how we're made.

So you have the people that are open to the supernatural events and those that just can't open to them cuz they can't 'see' them so they seem illogical, the Left brainers... I get it.
What causes them to then put us down is the thing that is mean or unnecessary. (We "should run to a shrink fast!")

(Not that you do that!)
I think you might have something there about the brains of people having supernatural experiences being different. When you see something and the person standing next to you can not see, it seems that maybe the person seeing it is processing something happening internally and not externally? ESP is like that.

However, when you have more than one witness that is with you when something external happens, that's harder to explain. I can't explain why the lights turned off in a room full of people with a new patient when everyone was at the bedside. I can't explain the banging in the cabinets in the break room when I was giving report to another therapist after we set up a room where I was telling him about two incidences that happened to me in that room. I can't explain why a plastic tub flew off of a night stand in another hospital when I was telling family members about my strange house. I can't explain why stethoscopes hanging on a door knob moved in slow motion back and forth after we had already passed them and we were sitting down. The movement was so unnatural. It was weird. I also can't explain why the door knob in our attic was turning and we thought the other kids were coming to find us when we were playing hide and seek. I went to the door and no one was there. Why did a black light fall off of a ledge that had been there for years after I was telling the kids a ghost story in the attic? Is it a spirit following me? I don't believe in life after death. Are these all amazing coincidences? The timing was really perfect. Okay I can't explain or understand the footsteps in my house, and I can't explain why the towel was ripped off of the towel bar on the shower door when I was "naked and afraid" alone in the house. These are all very strange occurrences that I wish I could understand and have been with me since childhood.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Okay I can't explain or understand the footsteps in my house, and I can't explain why the towel was ripped off of the towel bar on the shower door when I was "naked and afraid" alone in the house. These are all very strange occurrences that I wish I could understand and have been with me since childhood.
OMG, this sounds so much like my straight, Left brain, logical, executive friend in DC....she ran from her Condo leaving her $2000 deposit behind because of things like you say happening.
ONLY, to find they followed her to San Diego. She went to a regular massage therapist and mentioned these things to her...turns out the LMT was some sort of psychic exorcist!!!

HAhahaha....and 'extracted' in a whoosh feeling this little girl spirit that ''liked'' my friend...what seemed scary was just the little girl trying to get attention.
Ha, Monday morning at work all her team mentioned ,"Wow, you look different! You look great!"
Spirit attachment gone.

Try having a quarter spin on the wood floor by your bed at 4am! Plus, many many other things!!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:26 PM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
I could type out a few pages of my experiences that fall in to the paranormal realm. And the most profound one, happened with my wife and I both being present to witness the PE. Our time of witnessing the event was staggered by one minute though, so we were not victims of self induced "mass hysteria".

Here is one that was going on where I worked for 15 years where I retired from. My employer hired off duty city police officers to run the facility's security.

As they made their late night rounds while locking down the building, there was one very old, large room they had to lock down. None of the senior officers liked locking down the big old room though, at closing time late night.

The PE associated with this old room was used as a running joke at the place, by the officers. Because about every month a new security officer would be brought in for rotation and the senior officer, would have the new guy lock down the old room.

Every night as the new officer would turn off the big rooms lights with the wall switch located right by the door, he would then pull the door closed and lock it.

Then suddenly, he would hear the rooms light switch "snap" back on. And then the officer could see the rooms re-energized lights shine, under the large crack under the door.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is not so much of a question of the left side compared to the right side. It is more of a question of 'blind faith' and some of us have no 'blind faith'.

I like to think there are things we have not discovered or experienced..Good.
There is no reason for you to believe in anything if you have not exp'd it. Blind faith is not something I advocate.
However, if someone you trust tells you their mom visited them last night a 3 am...just be open and trust your friend.
Say, ''Wow, wish something like that happened to me." That way, you are telling yourself you are open...and it doesn't hurt your friend's feelings...going back to that ques about ridicule.
Does that fair?

Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
You can't confuse coincidence with something paranormal happening. Coincidence happens all the time and while I'm delighted with it, that doesn't mean it's a sign from God or something supernatural.

I won't believe something is paranormal until some entity walks up to me and says, "Hi!" Even then I'm going to be suspicious, just as I'm suspicious of photos and videos of ghosts and similar things. As a skeptic (who wants to believe), I refuse to consider an orb as a ghost. Mirrors, panes of glass, and branches are also not ghosts. If you have to blow up a photo a million times to see a dot in the corner, that isn't a ghost. If it's a blur, it's probably not a ghost. If something happened to you while you were sleeping, stoned, or when you were under the age of 18, it's probably not a ghost.

But I've still had a few things happen to me that I can't explain. And that's what makes the paranormal so much fun.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 PM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
In 2013 the last of my 3 brothers passed away I'll call Joe. His wife chose me to put his ash urn down in to the ground of his burial plot at his funeral service. Which surprised me really, as he and I were never close as brothers.

I could not bond to him as he and I grew as kids, as Joe made me his punching bag WAY to often. Some grow up to forgive, I was one that could not. As an adult, one of Joe's life's passion was restoring old classic cars and trucks.

I was 61 years old at the time of Joe's death. About 5 days after his funeral one afternoon, I was sitting at my computer desk in the den. I was browsing websites on my PC that were noted for old truck restorations. I had on my computer screen a large still picture of a very nicely restored, old classic pick up truck.

Suddenly behind me a persons one note, "whistle" sounded. As I spun my desk chair around quickly expecting to see someone to be standing in the den behind me, I saw no one.

Instantly though, I knew I recognized the length and exact tone of the whistle. It was exactly like the large whistle that Joe would let out, whenever he saw a really nice old truck in a parking lot or that was driving by him slowly that he admired.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well Fish, back in 2011, I'm not sure if you remember or not but someone hit and killed a mountain lion in Connecticut with their car. So unless the mountain lion stayed north of PA in New York State, I would guess it might have traveled through the Poconos to get to Connecticut?

Claims of Mountain Lions Roaming in Connecticut Drew Groans ... Until Saturday

My late step-Dad, also had a sighting, maybe 10-15 years ago, outside of Scranton in Newton Township and he swears it was a mountain lion, maybe it was the same one you and your wife saw?
I was very happy when that lion was killed in Connecticut because it gave our claim some validation. Considering that lion was traced all the way back to South Dakota; it very easily could have come through our area.

But that gets back to the subject at hand and evidence that validates our claims. Both your step-dad and I cannot claim with certainty that lion was the one we saw; but it is hard evidence that one was in our general vicinity. It is still far more 'evidence' than what many with ghost sighting have.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
There is no reason for you to believe in anything if you have not exp'd it. Blind faith is not something I advocate.
However, if someone you trust tells you their mom visited them last night a 3 am...just be open and trust your friend.
Say, ''Wow, wish something like that happened to me." That way, you are telling yourself you are open...and it doesn't hurt your friend's feelings...going back to that ques about ridicule.
Does that fair?
I have never had a friend tell me they were visited. However; I have had 'friends' that I have caught in outright lies. So here we are sill deadlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal