Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Dolls creep my husband; brand new or antique. He was same when our children were young and had brand new Cabbage Dolls.

I used to collect Antique Dolls and went to many shows. However, many a time I would see a very collectable doll, which gave me a very bad feeling. Did not want to pick it up, let alone buy it, but a new from the factory doll? Going overboard?

Husband, skeptic on most things, is terrified of my 1957 Shirley Temple Doll. My parents bought it for me from the factory brand new. The only history that doll can have is MINE. Yes, I know people can bring this on themselves, but hubs you don't trust ME after 45 years????? Shirley sits in a drawer where he cannot see it. All he says is, "You and your family are weird". We put a curse on Shirley? Umm, NO.

Doll phobia whether someone believes in the paranormal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Dolls creep my husband; brand new or antique. He was same when our children were young and had brand new Cabbage Dolls.
I present for your approval -- Mr. Marbles:

https://youtu.be/DQnhHPkLYOg

Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
When I was a child & into my teen yrs, I collected porcelain dolls. I probably have a good 20-25. They're all still in my room back at my parents' house. I bought them ALL NEW & I displayed them all on a metal rack in my room. I never thought about haunted dolls back then & nothing creepy, etc. ever happened.

I also had 2 Cabbage Patch dolls (bought new too) & I don't know what we did w/ them. I had them back before we moved into the house my parents have now.

Re: my porcelain dolls, I don't know what I'll do w/ them. I've been in my room in the last few or so month, but haven't specifically looked at my dolls for about 5-6 yrs. I don't know if I'll eventually keep my favorites & sell the rest of just throw them all away or what.

Now, my dad died peacefully in his sleep at age 87 at my parent's house downstairs, so unless his spirit transferred into one of those dolls, then I wouldn't know how any of mine would be haunted.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM

855 posts, read 623,820 times
Even as a child I never liked dolls. I tried to like them, but,
ultimately, I just couldn't. Dolls and statues... nightmare
material for me, as a kid.

They don't bother me much now, as an adult. Awhile
back, I was given a collectible doll as a gift, and
she’s great, but I’ve got her hiding in the closet because
my cat wouldn’t stop trying to nibble on her flowers.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I have mentioned before that I definitely have "statue phobia." One example out of a few: my mother has this West African warrior statue which is only about a foot tall. He is made of ebony and carries a spear. No matter where she places him or in which direction, when she returns he is always facing west. I thought she was imagining things, so one day when I was home alone, I took the statue and laid it face down and turned it in another direction as a joke on my mom. About 30 minutes later (I was still home alone), I came back for a look because I was going to prove to her that she was being ridiculous. The statue was standing once again and facing west. I've played around with the little guy a couple of times after that and the little dickens was always back on his feet and facing west. I've not bothered him again.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
Dolls fit into my phobias along with Clowns and the Cheshire Cat.
no idea why. i guess it is a too early to understand childhood thing.
when i see them on TV, i change the channel, just as my wife does
when she sees snakes and spiders on the nature/science programs.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
Well, I admit being a little creeped by dolls after I saw "Chucky".. Some old dolls have teeth, and they are downright rights scary (seen on Antiques Roadshow)

Although I quite liked them as a kid, these days clowns give me the creeps

The ironic thing is I'm an atheist, and don't believe in the paranormal. I guess some of the gullible, superstitious Catholic still lingers

I've never really enjoyed horror films; they give me nightmares.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Fascinating! I didn't know doll phobia was so common.

I don't know about phobia, but I sure do have doll aversion. I have always thought they were very creepy and never had one. I really hate clowns too.

Now statues---that's a new one. My fantasy is for a statue to come to life (and I don't mean those awful mime-guys). There were a couple movies where mannikins came to life and that I like.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Yes one of the best scenes is in The Devil's Advocate when the Devil as Al Pacino (Milton the law firm mentor) is tempting (Connie Nielsen) and lecturing Keanu Reeves on all 'his' accomplishments and being a 'fan of man', while in the background the massive white sculpted mural (ex nihilo) all begins to come to life.

As for dolls, certain types always seemed creepy to me no problem with (IMO) obvious art (Russian nesting dolls, little porcelain figurine miniatures etc..) in old women's houses I recall as a youth either visiting with my mom or some such thing, but it was the more anthropomorphic they are they creepier they seem to me. One of my childhood friends mom had a doll collection in an upstairs room and it always seemed odd / creepy to me. Specially Talking Tina another Twilight Zone classic!

I have a few Rodin mini sculpture replicas: the kiss, the thinker, and another which never have bothered me. I wish the female would come to life as the famous mannequin in Twilight Zone episode (Ann Francis) or the full length fantasy movie with Ava Gardner as the sculpture (One Touch of Venus) who comes to life. My luck would be the approximately 9 inch tall ecstasy comes to life. There was the twilight Zone episode with Robert Duvall which worked in reverse (Miniature). Maybe I disappear as a new sculpture by her sort of a variation on The Kiss.

Best horror one I can think of off top of my head, was the Trilogy of Terror 70s movie episode with Karen Black being chased by the voodoo hunter doll.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Island of the Dolls is eerie.

[IMG] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Is...%27_Island.jpg [/IMG]

Last edited by TreeBeard; 04-17-2019 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal