Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

This is really strange, I recently became FB friends with this girl from my childhood, her mother was good friends with my mother. they met around the time me and this girl were about 11 or 12 yrs old, I vividly remember the first time my mom took me over to their house, it was in a nearby city, about 2 miles away from home...but here is where its gets weird...

The first time my mom took me there, I remember this lady had horses and acreage, as me and the girl saddled horses and rode thru the fields and forests for a few hours that day, but their house is in a spot that is not rural at all (there are NO farms, fields or forests in this area) and there hasnt been for decades.

I remember thinking about this about 20 yrs ago and i went to the house where my mom took me that day, the driveway, house, backyard, was all as I remembered it, but they did not have acres of land, it was in a regular subdivision, there are no fields or forests anywhere close to this house.

Another strange part about this, the girl remembers this visit when we rode horses, she said it was the first time she met me and my mom, I asked her to verify the address, just to confirm I was thinking about the same place...I was right, it was the house I thought it was, she said they had about 50 acres...but again, no houses on this street has large acreage, they are smaller residential lots that were built in the 1960s.

1984 or 1985 is the year my mom took me there the first time, Im not sure what to make of this. This has nagged at me since my teenage years, it doesnt make any sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
They could have sold off acreage to developers. If I told you about where I grew up, and you went there today, you’d think I was crazy or a liar.

If you know the address, using Zillow you can find out when the houses around her were built.

You also might not be remembering it correctly, maybe the barn and horses weren’t at the house, maybe the barn and fields were somewhere else. I know most of my friends who had horses, more often than not, the horses were boarded at farms away from the home. One of my friends had a number of horses at her barn, which was a drive from their house. Her parents bought a large plot of land, and built a barn, and they filled it with horses.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Your mind has a mind of its own. Everything that you've ever experienced is in there somewhere. It just doesn't always come out in a fashion that necessarily makes any sense. At least at the time.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is really strange, I recently became FB friends with this girl from my childhood, her mother was good friends with my mother. they met around the time me and this girl were about 11 or 12 yrs old, I vividly remember the first time my mom took me over to their house, it was in a nearby city, about 2 miles away from home...but here is where its gets weird...

The first time my mom took me there, I remember this lady had horses and acreage, as me and the girl saddled horses and rode thru the fields and forests for a few hours that day, but their house is in a spot that is not rural at all (there are NO farms, fields or forests in this area) and there hasnt been for decades.

I remember thinking about this about 20 yrs ago and i went to the house where my mom took me that day, the driveway, house, backyard, was all as I remembered it, but they did not have acres of land, it was in a regular subdivision, there are no fields or forests anywhere close to this house.

Another strange part about this, the girl remembers this visit when we rode horses, she said it was the first time she met me and my mom, I asked her to verify the address, just to confirm I was thinking about the same place...I was right, it was the house I thought it was, she said they had about 50 acres...but again, no houses on this street has large acreage, they are smaller residential lots that were built in the 1960s.

1984 or 1985 is the year my mom took me there the first time, Im not sure what to make of this. This has nagged at me since my teenage years, it doesnt make any sense at all.
The most logical answer is that land development does not happen all at once. Historical aerial views of the area or a visit to the historical society may be all that is needed to place the visit in context. Google Earth has some "back in time" aerials, but the aerial mapping done for geodesic maps and agricultural maps is much better.

A farmer would be most likely to sell off outlying parcels first, and keep the land closer to the homestead and barn. There are a few around here that are doing that currently. A horseback ride would go where there was quiet and less chance of sharp construction debris, enhancing the rural feel.

There is such a thing as an induced memory, but it commonly happens at a much younger age, and as the girl remembers the visit as well, that is less likely. (An induced memory can be created at a later age, such as in the adults made to believe that they were molested as kids in an infamous case in Connecticut.) An auto-induced memory may be difficult to untangle. I remember a visit to the family farm at around age three. The men were haying and I really wanted to help after I was shown a photo of a full hay wagon pulled by two draft horses. I went to sleep on that hot afternoon and so realistically dreamed about haying that it became a memory. It was only later, when I realized that the photo had been taken before I had been born, that I recognized it as an induced memory created by my wishful thinking.

Childhood memories are often landmines, as the brain re-wires constantly during childhood and memories get cross-connected, lost, or only segments remain. When there is a strongly remembered segment, the brain can work to put it in context by fabricating a new narrative consistent with the more developed personality of the older individual. Troubling events may be repressed and covered by a more pleasant false memory as a protection to sanity. It isn't uncommon for someone to run across their old diary and realize that what was written differs from current memories. The evolutionary purpose of memory is not as a remembering of history as much as a protection against doing dangerous stuff and a bonding into a tribe with a common myth. Perceptions and memories of a single event seen by dozens of people can be entirely different when you query members of that group. That is just part of the human condition.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They could have sold off acreage to developers. If I told you about where I grew up, and you went there today, you’d think I was crazy or a liar.

If you know the address, using Zillow you can find out when the houses around her were built.

You also might not be remembering it correctly, maybe the barn and horses weren’t at the house, maybe the barn and fields were somewhere else. I know most of my friends who had horses, more often than not, the horses were boarded at farms away from the home. One of my friends had a number of horses at her barn, which was a drive from their house. Her parents bought a large plot of land, and built a barn, and they filled it with horses.
Yes, Im familiar with Zillow, Ive looked at the area on their site, most everything nearby was built in the 1950 and 60s, I was there in the mid 80s.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I've experienced instances where I somehow took two memories and blended them to create a version that didn't really happen. I don't know how that works, but the mind is a complex thing.

It may also be a case where you did go riding in a large field, but forgot that you had to get to another location further from her home to do it. Or perhaps there were fields near her home that have now been filled with commercial enterprises. I think that may be more likely than anything else.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Hmm, my only logical guesses are:

- you thought the land was much larger than it really was because as kids, everything appears bigger than when we see them again as adults

- all that land was used to construct something else these days: More homes, other landscaping, etc.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Hmm, my only logical guesses are:

- you thought the land was much larger than it really was because as kids, everything appears bigger than when we see them again as adults

- all that land was used to construct something else these days: More homes, other landscaping, etc.
IDK what is was...everything around that house was built and developed in the 60s.

Im not saying it was something 'supernatural', its just a weird incident in my life that has always bugged me, if my mom was still alive, it would be easy to resolve this, unfortunately she died in 1988, and the girls mom died in the late 90s.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IDK what is was...everything around that house was built and developed in the 60s.

Im not saying it was something 'supernatural', its just a weird incident in my life that has always bugged me, if my mom was still alive, it would be easy to resolve this, unfortunately she died in 1988, and the girls mom died in the late 90s.
If you’re FB friends why don’t you ask her?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:08 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you’re FB friends why don’t you ask her?
I agree, what does she think the reason is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal