Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM

48 posts, read 25,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What kind of "witchy" things do you own?

A black cat named Barney.
And I have owned numerous black cats through out my life.
None for witchy purposes.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:32 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Books on the subject.

Tarot cards.

Pendulum.

Various stones.

A pentacle necklace.

Some herbs and roots.

A Green Man plaque.

Probably some more stuff too, that just isn't coming to mind....

Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Books on the subject.

Tarot cards.

Pendulum.

Various stones.

A pentacle necklace.

Some herbs and roots.

A Green Man plaque.

Probably some more stuff too, that just isn't coming to mind....
I googled "green man plaque"

I guess it would look cute as decor in a green house or enclosed porch area with lots of plants.

What witchy purpose does it have?
I would have never known it was witchy decor if I saw that some where before reading your list.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I have crystals because I'm a rockhound, at least third-generation.

If I had an Indian tapestry (I'd love one), it would be because I think they're lovely and because to me, they're more of a "hippie" thing than a "witch" thing.

If I had a Buddha statue it would be because I have a slight interest in Buddhism and have lived in a Buddhist country.

I've had black cats because they were the ones who chose us and because black cats are beautiful, sometimes need more love because some people are jerks about them, and because many people feel they're super-lovey-dovey.

I've had a salt lamp because someone gave it to me as a gift; I wasn't that interested in it and gave it to my mom, who was interested in it because some people say they're good for your health (also she just liked the gentle pink glow).

I have lots of herbs and essential oils because I'm interested in herbs and essential oils.

I have long skirts because I like long skirts (see also "hippie").

None of these things are "witchy" to me, probably because I'm not a witch nor inclined to be one. Maybe some people might see it that way; that's fine; doesn't really matter what they think of me (especially if they don't know me well enough to know what I am or am not), and there are worse things they could assume me to be.

Many of these things can cross over into other cultures/subcultures (especially goth or hippie) so you can never make assumptions about someone who has them or say they belong only to one subculture.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I have crystals because I'm a rockhound, at least third-generation.

If I had an Indian tapestry (I'd love one), it would be because I think they're lovely and because to me, they're more of a "hippie" thing than a "witch" thing.

If I had a Buddha statue it would be because I have a slight interest in Buddhism and have lived in a Buddhist country.

I've had black cats because they were the ones who chose us and because black cats are beautiful, sometimes need more love because some people are jerks about them, and because many people feel they're super-lovey-dovey.

I've had a salt lamp because someone gave it to me as a gift; I wasn't that interested in it and gave it to my mom, who was interested in it because some people say they're good for your health (also she just liked the gentle pink glow).

I have lots of herbs and essential oils because I'm interested in herbs and essential oils.

I have long skirts because I like long skirts (see also "hippie").

None of these things are "witchy" to me, probably because I'm not a witch nor inclined to be one. Maybe some people might see it that way; that's fine; doesn't really matter what they think of me (especially if they don't know me well enough to know what I am or am not), and there are worse things they could assume me to be.

Many of these things can cross over into other cultures/subcultures (especially goth or hippie) so you can never make assumptions about someone who has them or say they belong only to one subculture.
My budha situations were the result of childhood art projects etcetera. I have no interest in Buddha but I love to see Buddha statues. It's a personal thing.

I've had plenty of people refer to my tapestry printed shirts and long skirts as hippy shirts/skirts.
Neither are true.
It's just casual wear.
If I like something I like it. It's not a "hippy" thing.
I would always be amused if some one would call my shirt a "hippy" shirt when I was wearing one from the GAP. (I don't even really like the GAP. I just liked those shirts)
It's crazy to me when people call clothes from the GAP hippy clothes and clothes that look like GAP knock offs hippy clothes. Because when I think GAP I don't think hippy.
And I don't like being called a "hippy" based on some of my clothes because to me a hippy is a person that protested the Vietnam war. And I wasn't around for that so I shouldn't be called that. It's just how I feel. But I have no problem with people that call themselves hippies. I just don't want to be called a hippy because in my opinion that's not what I am.

So the hippy thing as far as Indian tapestries go is not a surprise to me.
I saw how my GAP Indian tapestry printed shirts were referred to as hippy clothes so I'm aware that Indian tapestries carry a hippy stigma.
I just wasn't aware that they also had such a witchy association as well until recently.

If I don't think it's appropriate to dress like a "hippy" some where I won't wear anything like that.
Because even though I'm not viewing it as hippy attire others will and it's not always appropriate in certain settings.
But there are also situations where it may be appropriate to dress like a "hippy" but not appropriate to dress like a witch.
So it's good to know everything that your clothing/ jewelry choice might say about you.
It's not about caring what people think.
It's about being respectful.

Same with the decor.
I saw a gay guy get really uncomfortable when he saw an intricately designed Celtic cross.
The cross was considered to be Irish art and nothing else.
But he got uncomfortable and thought that he could be judged unfairly in a radical Christian way when he saw it.
So I think that in some cases people may have decor that makes people uncomfortable because it gives off the wrong impression.

I get the supposed health benefits with the salt lamps because of the salt room saunas.
I just find it hard to believe that a little lamp can do anything compared to a room made out of salt.
So I'm having trouble believing that there are any kind of actual health benefits to them. I like them for the same reason your mother does. I think they are pretty and I like the little pink glow.
But I don't think that's why people that practice witchcraft etcetera have them.
Which is why I'm so curious as to why they are "witchy" decor.
I know some people use them for supposed health benefits but I want to know why "witchy" people use them.
In case it's in a way that can make a person uncomfortable if they see one.

Last edited by DCST; 05-21-2019 at 12:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Over my lifetime I've owned, then given away, discarded, had stolen or lost in floods/fires/other assorted mishaps a treasure trove of books, crystals, oil/fairy pendants, salt lamps, Buddhist/Hindu statues, CDs, homemade oils/resins/salts/sulphurs/sage/smudge sticks, theme lamps & wind chimes, incense with a collection of incense pots, hundreds of candles, stones, art work, angel decorations, Celtic crosses & those types of metaphysical store trinkets, varying other assorted accessory-type decorations, an entire collection of yoga & Reiki gear (some consider that & a few of the other things I mentioned witchy, although I wouldn't claim that about any of it, as I'm not a wiccan/pagan) & also owned 2 black cats... 1 was a monster, so I'm pretty sure she was a high priestess or witch of some sort.

I own nothing but clothing atm & doubt I'll replace anything of the above or anything else in the home goods range after losing everything last year... I've decided to go the minimalist path of late... bed, clothing, coffee pot, fork.

However, a couple of days ago, as I was placing a pic on the wall, I did drop the hammer on my bare foot & spoke in tongues for a few minutes. I may have conjured up something, given the continual bangs inside the apt I heard all night long... I'm actually being serious about the aforementioned, with a bit of humor tossed in... but I have no fear of anything in any realm.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCST View Post
I collected "rocks" as a child.
Crystals and stones that I would get at museum gift shops.
And they were also sold all across the southwest at gift shops.
But in those places "rose quartz" for example is just a pretty pink rock you can buy and the description on the box/container it's in will just say "rose quartz"

But in "witchy" stores rose quartz isn't just rose quartz but it's a special stone to attract love and blah blah blah.

I kind of think it's a great way to sell those rocks.
If the rocks have "special powers" people can justify buying them as a joke even though they just want them because they are pretty. It's better to give them a purpose. Otherwise you just bought a rock and if you are an adult it doesn't make sense unless it has some sort of use.

The budha thing is weird.
I have also had budha statues/figurines growing up but not for any kind of religious purposes (witchy or not)
I was watching a video on YouTube of a fortune teller (tarot card reader) and then i was inspired to click on more to see their decor.
Most have budha statues.
I googled and some how the budha statue aids tarot card readers.

I have now realized after watching those videos that I have owned lots of "witchy" stuff in my life by accident.
And some very questionable jewelry.
And it all come from gigft shops.
So people might see things and think "witch" but really I just like gift shops.
Including "witchy" gift shops.
I love them all.
Gift shops are happy places.

Gift shops are fun.

I used to go to rock and mineral shows with my dad, when I still lived at home. And I have a big chunk of amethyst quartz in my kitchen window. I'm guessing the thing weighs about 10lbs.

I forgot...I have a couple of sugar skulls, and a bunch of tshirts and hoodies with sugar skulls, Day of the Dead decorations, or skeletons or pirates, or combinations...and I have a tshirt from Tater Reds, in Memphis, with a voodoo style skull on it. But I don't really assign special meaning to any of them...I just think they're cool.

But I have a friend who's Wiccan, and considers herself a kitchen witch. She's always got various herbs up and drying in her house.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Witchy things?

Does a full size talking witch in one of my closets count?

I have tarot cards that someone gave me but I don't know how to use them.

I have a psychic circle Ouija board that someone gave me that I used for Halloween parties.

I had a spell book but I donated it.

Monsoon is my black cat, but he's one of my children
I've had too many really strange uninvited things happen to me without delving into the black arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal