Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Back in the 1970's, I moved into a furnished apt complete with TV. Every night at 3:15 am the TV would turn on full blast.
I called the TV repairman (back then they made house calls) and he adjusted something in the back of the set, charged me $20, and left. That night at 3AM, same thing. The next night I wised up and unplugged the set. At 3:15 that morning, same thing. I was moved out of that apartment daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,032,885 times
We all have the same ISP so my neighbors remotes turn off/on my tv if my front door is open. Sometimes my garage door opener opens theirs too.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Calories View Post
I have a Samsung as well! It's been many years that I had it. Maybe it's the IR receiver going bad?

Update on the situation: So it happened again last night. This time it was at 2:30am-ish and had to tinkle. Turned it off, back to bed I go and woke up at 7:45am. As I lay there, I see it on. Now as I rise and about to get out of bed it turns off. The remote is not near me. I leave it on my dresser.
It's likely a chip going bad intermittently. Years of use and heat and something starts shorting internally - unpredictably.

In the early days of mine acting up, I went out of town for several days and it was on when I walked in my door upon return. I think that's when I plugged it into the outlet strip.

Everything is electronic now and very complex. Back in the day, the on/off switch for a TV or radio was a physical interruption of the power connection to the rest of the circuitry. I fixed many and they were simple. For many years now though, it's all done electronically with ICs and capacitors that are very difficult to isolate. They're repaired by replacing entire PC boards - if even available - that can easily cost $100 before you even talk about labor.

Bottom line is that you'll pay more to fix it than for a brand new, much better set. I absolutely love my new Insignia and now realize that my years of resistance to buying an "off-brand" set was unfounded. It's great and has more/better features than anything else I could find near it's size and price.

If yours still turns on at your command (mine didn't toward the end), you could just plug it into a switched outlet and possibly get another year or two out of it. But eventually it's probably going to bite the dust.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
My first paranormal related experience! Not sure when this actually started, but it wasn't prior to this summer. The only thing I could think of who would ever come through is my grandfather (passed 2018). My TV has been turned on a couple of times during my sleep, but usually happens past 3AM. Why that time frame? Randomly I have gotten up to use the bathroom or blow my nose due to allergies, but never woke past that time.

I wake up, finding the screen on, but there is literally no other device connected to it. Only the TV is plugged in. No timer is set on it. It's bizarre, because like I mentioned it hasn't happened last year, or during the earliest months of this year. Throughout the recent 2-3 months it has been done. There is no consistency with it. A week or two could pass by and then it may happen. Keep in mind I rarely watch TV or use it for anything else.

Pull the plug on the TV and leave it out. If it comes back on, then you really have something to worry about !

Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Some devices, like set-top boxes and Blu-Ray players, that connect to the TV with HDMI cables, have the ability to turn the TV off and on. I have an Amazon Fire TV box connected to my bedroom TV, that enables me to lie in bed and say "Alexa, turn on the TV" to turn on the TV. That box can also control some of the TV's features.

OP, could something connected to your TV be turning it on?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
I have a Samsung as well! It's been many years that I had it. Maybe it's the IR receiver going bad?

Update on the situation: So it happened again last night. This time it was at 2:30am-ish and had to tinkle. Turned it off, back to bed I go and woke up at 7:45am. As I lay there, I see it on. Now as I rise and about to get out of bed it turns off. The remote is not near me. I leave it on my dresser.
I forgot to ask you - what model is yours? I'm just curious because I remember googling mine with the "turns itself on" problem and got multiple pages of hits with others having gone through the same thing with theirs. By no means, though, is the problem limited to just one model or to just Samsung.

Anyway, just curious as to whether you may have the same set I had. This was mine....

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-LNS324.../dp/B000ELSXZE

Old 08-22-2019, 11:47 AM

67 posts, read 68,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It's likely a chip going bad intermittently. Years of use and heat and something starts shorting internally - unpredictably.

In the early days of mine acting up, I went out of town for several days and it was on when I walked in my door upon return. I think that's when I plugged it into the outlet strip.

Definitely had it for at least 10 years. Could be so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Pull the plug on the TV and leave it out. If it comes back on, then you really have something to worry about !

Might as well give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Some devices, like set-top boxes and Blu-Ray players, that connect to the TV with HDMI cables, have the ability to turn the TV off and on. I have an Amazon Fire TV box connected to my bedroom TV, that enables me to lie in bed and say "Alexa, turn on the TV" to turn on the TV. That box can also control some of the TV's features.

OP, could something connected to your TV be turning it on?

As mentioned in the original post, I have nothing connected to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I forgot to ask you - what model is yours? I'm just curious because I remember googling mine with the "turns itself on" problem and got multiple pages of hits with others having gone through the same thing with theirs. By no means, though, is the problem limited to just one model or to just Samsung.

Anyway, just curious as to whether you may have the same set I had. This was mine....

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-LNS324.../dp/B000ELSXZE

My model is the UN46D6003 / 46".

Old 08-22-2019, 11:47 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Right after my mother died in 2010, our home theater system started doing the same thing. It would turn on in the middle of the night and default to the fifth disc which was the Venture Brothers. And then play the theme over and over and over like DVDs do. I’d come home at 4 o’clock in the afternoon, the Venture Brothers would be playing. Since my husband kept the volume down at night it was all ways low. Like a bad horror movie.

After about a month and a half of this, and the requisite jokes of it being my mother letting us know she was OK, which was crazy because she wouldn’t do it with the Venture Brothers, we were sitting one night with the home theater system on, and there was a pop and a sizzle and it went dead.

Since the system was about 9 or 10 years old, husband just decided to open it up and see what was going on. We disconnected it completely, and reset up the tv/dish thing because the way we had it set up if it wasn’t on the TV and the satellite were dead.

On opening it, we discovered it was filled with cat hair. Like a cat carpet. That was when we brought home the tv stand with the glass door on it so we could use the remotes through the glass, in the unit but protect the electronics from the cat hair. It’s worked, it’s been over 20 years no problems.

Moral of the story is just because something weird happens doesn’t mean it’s paranormal. Chances are it’s just something weird happening.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
Could be a power supply issue. Another post mentioned a voltage spike, especially if it's happening around the same time of night. If your power company is switching generators it may cause either a spike or dip your device's power supply board is overly sensitive to and turning itself on.

I had an IBM (Acer) Aptiva 2138 that had that issue with the crappy stock HIPRO power supply unit sometimes. I'd get up in the morning or come home from work and the computer would be on. It wasn't often connected to the Internet, in fact most of the time the modem was unplugged so intrusion was ruled out. A power supply swapout later with a name-brand one (a 500-watt Corsair, back when that was considered huge) and it never did that again.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:13 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I have dealt with several paranormal . one of which turned on water at the kitchen sink i the middle of the night. the person finally moved and the issue quit happening.
Another turned on the gas flame on the stove in the middle of the night , they too moved away.
the turning on of appliances is not uncommon I am aware of those as well ,many personal friends enduring this phenomenon .
One friend was physically pushed out of a house and things thrown at her .

Events that I have been directly assaulted ,I have dealt with by demanding they leave in the name of Jesus , and they leave.
Some times there is a reoccurrence but it may be a different entity .there are thousands of them world wide .
There are interferences of both worlds demonic and angelic and possibly something in-between, God only knows .
God has intervened on my behalf many times, both by a physical interaction and or directly adjusted circumstances I had no influence with.
Just as you use maps and street signs that direct your way and advertising signs to draw you attention the spirit world uses certain signs created to attract their attention both man made and identified by character and speech . Just as signs are used to attract, some remain with things that may have influence or connected to something that has influence. .
With in the spirit world there is no private thought life . so they do/implant thoughts to get a reaction . Even a negative response is a response . Suspicions leading one to believe they are being judged by other is a common one.

It is not necessary to believe in them . they only care if you are flowing their recommendations or you are a person of interest to them.
99.999 % of the time they are trouble eventually. very subtle and beguiling , they befriend with an ulterior motive .
People have been distracted with their influence promising wealth and ending with bondage.
On the very rare occasion people have been physically rescued ,but again this action is not that one should pivot their life on.
I speak from experience.
As a christian I know the difference between good and evil most of the time .Doesn't mean I can't be fooled but I pray for God's intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal