Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It would be impossible to predict what we could accomplish in our future. Right now our best scientist are more confident that we could travel ahead in time: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/d...me-travel.html. But according to that link and others I have found: "Time travel to the past is more difficult. We do not understand the science as well." Possibly we will at sometime in our future or maybe it is simply impossible?
Yeah, I'm much more skeptical about the ability to travel back in time. I never say never, but the physics just doesn't seem to work.

Traveling forward in time at an accelerated rate is not only possible but probable. Just difficult.

Unless, of course, the multiverse theory is true. Consider each timeline as a "thread," and every choice and action spawns its own thread. There would be an almost infinite amount of timelines with slight to huge variations. Perhaps it is not possible to travel "back" in time in our own "thread." But if we could "cross threads" so to speak, the possibilities would be almost endless.

All pure imagination by the way. There's no science to back any of this up. But hey ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It would be impossible to predict what we could accomplish in our future. Right now our best scientist are more confident that we could travel ahead in time: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/d...me-travel.html. But according to that link and others I have found: "Time travel to the past is more difficult. We do not understand the science as well." Possibly we will at sometime in our future or maybe it is simply impossible?
Look at our history...if you go back a couple hundred years, people at the time would have thought motorized cars, computers, cell phones, etc were impossible, heck just look at the MAJOR progress within the past 50 yrs!!

Point is, we are in NO position to speculate about whats possible in the future.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Point is, we are in NO position to speculate about whats possible in the future.
Speculate? Sure we are free to speculate. We can speculate about anything.

Know? No. There is no way we can know what science and technology will be like in 500 years. Personally, I suspect that unless we have a major change in behavior, we'll be a lot closer to sticks and stones than time travel.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Speculate? Sure we are free to speculate. We can speculate about anything.

Know? No. There is no way we can know what science and technology will be like in 500 years. Personally, I suspect that unless we have a major change in behavior, we'll be a lot closer to sticks and stones than time travel.
Yes, I should have worded my post in a different way, you are right about speculation.

What I find interesting about all those older 'this is what the future will be like' predictions from the 50s, 60s and 70s, they were not actually wrong about most of them, the only factor they didnt take into consideration back then, was if the govt/powers that be, would allow the public to be 'privy' to their existence.

They just assumed, the general public would have access to all these great new inventions and technology.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They just assumed, the general public would have access to all these great new inventions and technology.
Post WWII most people still had faith in government and social institutions. Watergate and the counter-culture pretty much ended that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal