Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times

Advertisements

I don't know, it looks suspiciously "alien" to me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 04:03 PM

18,763 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I understand, but it could seem larger depending on perspective. The photo shows the diver approaching from behind. I had to watch the video again. My guess is based on the measurements given. I don't understand all the written language at the end of the video, but it seems to say that the diameter of the mass is about 100 centimeters. That's about 39 inches or a bit more than 3 feet. Circumference would be about 10 feet 3 inches (I think, unless my math is wrong).

The article says, "The southern shortfin squid, found in the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, is between 8 and 16 inches long (not including their legs). They can somehow lay a giant sphere, around one meter (3 feet) in diameter, that's filled with eggs."

The photos and video seem to make it look gigantic, much larger than the diver. It's pretty weird looking and large, a bit larger than typically found. It's probably not as vastly larger than the divers. I think a lot of that is due to the perspective. What we don't know is how far or near the camera is from the sac, and how far or near the divers were to it. I don't think the divers would want to get too close to it in order to avoid the risk of accidentally puncturing it. That said, it's certainly not a tiny object. It's not a perfect sphere, so its shape can probably distort due to mild ocean currents on the ocean floor, sort of like a giant wobbly soap bubble.
Did you play the video in the original link? It is actually the third picture of the egg as you move down the article. In the video it looks as if the diver is approaching from the front right side of the egg. I am more than aware of perspective; I am a also a fisherman and we know how take pictures of our catch!

The article mentions that it is a giant squid egg; but we do not know how they are using the term 'giant'? Then it goes on to talk about smaller squid eggs. What we really need is another article. Perhaps the National Geographic will use some of this film (with permission) and fill in the missing pieces? It would be interesting to find out if one squid produced this 'egg mass' or if more than one come together to form one?

By the way I just found this article on The Daily Mail :https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...med-squid.html. In that they state: "The orb was a massive 13-feet wide and contained millions of squid eggs according to National Geographic, who highlighted the find at the time." But then they were also talking about another blob that was found in Turkey; so that could also use clarification. Plus the Daily Mail is a little prone for exaggeration; so I don't know.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:40 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,613,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Did you play the video in the original link? It is actually the third picture of the egg as you move down the article. In the video it looks as if the diver is approaching from the front right side of the egg. I am more than aware of perspective; I am a also a fisherman and we know how take pictures of our catch!

The article mentions that it is a giant squid egg; but we do not know how they are using the term 'giant'? Then it goes on to talk about smaller squid eggs. What we really need is another article. Perhaps the National Geographic will use some of this film (with permission) and fill in the missing pieces? It would be interesting to find out if one squid produced this 'egg mass' or if more than one come together to form one?

By the way I just found this article on The Daily Mail :https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...med-squid.html. In that they state: "The orb was a massive 13-feet wide and contained millions of squid eggs according to National Geographic, who highlighted the find at the time." But then they were also talking about another blob that was found in Turkey; so that could also use clarification. Plus the Daily Mail is a little prone for exaggeration; so I don't know.
First of all, I have to apologize for not including links to my post. Yes, I did see the video. Some of the information I used for the size was also included in the link in your original post. I saw a few other articles about it as well, including ScienceAlert. I agree, some of the different articles seem to vary in information. We need something a little more reliable.

From the Daily Mail link you posted, the impression I got is that had to do with a different type of squid, thought to be from the Red Flying Squid with millions of eggs off the coast of Turkey in 2015. That was presumably from a National Geographic article, as you mentioned. The recent discovery (shown in the video), cited in the MSN article, indicates it was off the coast of Norway. I also read where this (as in the video) was one of about 5 discovered in the area of Norway, this one being the largest. I agree the Daily Mail can exaggerate things. National Geographic has done that as well or word things that aren't clear. Was National Geographic talking about the Southern Shortfin Squid? Or other types of squid?

One of the articles indicated that the mass is suspected to be from the Southern Shortfin Squid which are found in the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. This blob had not been genetically tested but it looks similar. Others (I assume around Turkey) had been tested and were determined to be Southern Shortfin Squid. So it's not really certain that this recent one is the same squid or another type. Regardless, seeing it is a rare encounter. As I understand it, the gelatinous layer collapses and sinks to the ocean floor where it quickly dissolves.

It would be interesting to know if all those eggs came from a single female or from many. If it was a single female, I suspect it takes a fair amount of time to excrete that much material, although it appears to be very thin. Another article mentioned egg numbers of other gelatinous globs can range from 50,000 to as many as a million or so eggs, while another drops the figure to around 43,000 from a single squid. That's close to 50,000 though. I don't think anyone was making a nose count other than to indicate there were an enormous number of eggs inside these things.

One thing I just discovered is that male squids usually die shortly after mating, and the females die of starvation after releasing the eggs. That's similar to the octopus. Reproducing is a one-time thing for these creatures, so they lay a large amount of eggs to ensure that some will survive long enough to reproduce. Once the eggs begin hatching, many will become food for fish and other sea creatures, including other squids.
https://sciencing.com/life-cycle-squid-5813188.html

According to this link, females can potentially breed more than once. Perhaps with different males? They're also said to have around 800,000 eggs. The whole thing is confusing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illex_coindetii

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/shortfin-squid-0

Old 10-30-2019, 05:21 AM

18,763 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Thank you an interesting post and great links! Unfortunately some of our questions are still not answered.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,613,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you an interesting post and great links! Unfortunately some of our questions are still not answered.
I came across the National Geographic video of an egg sac found in Turkey in 2015. It's a big one. It shows a diver shining a flashlight on it, and the light beam is pretty close giving a much better idea of the size scale. The divers were much closer to it than what is shown in the Norwegian video. You can see the flashlight, the beam and the light reflection on the surface of the egg sac. The description for the video says the Turkish sac was 13 feet wide and contained millions of eggs. But it also says it was most likely from the Red Flying Squid. The C/Net article says "The egg mass looks big enough to swallow several people." That might be a bit dramatic on the part of C/Net. Nils Baadnes took part in the Turkish dive and Ronald Raasch filmed it. I guess I can scratch off my "perspective" suggestion. But again, are these things from a single squid, or from several? I think we might have to assume the answer is still unknown.

https://www.cnet.com/news/you-must-t...quid-egg-ball/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU99GZpuJF4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal