U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you enjoy a thread for only Bigfoot/Ssaquatch believer posts and another sticky thread for non
yes 6 42.86%
no 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 AM
 
10,978 posts, read 10,678,947 times
Reputation: 4274

Advertisements

Just one sticky thread. Don't have to post your BF stuff there if you don't want. You can still post in a non sticky thread.

I think we will get more posters if they don't get laughed at or have to read the denials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2019, 10:51 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,112 posts, read 2,709,324 times
Reputation: 19262
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is what you have been saying all along; you don't want people to question you! If you are going to continue to claim that your seeing something, that most people will never see, somebody will question you - you cannot avoid it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Just one sticky thread. Don't have to post your BF stuff there if you don't want. You can still post in a non sticky thread.

I think we will get more posters if they don't get laughed at or have to read the denials.
I voted yes for you but I'm trying to say that if it were not for fisheye (see post 10); I wouldn't be a believer today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 11:13 AM
 
10,978 posts, read 10,678,947 times
Reputation: 4274
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I need dissenters to challenge me. I don't want to be wrong on something because I've been stuck in an echo-chamber.

For example; if it wasn't for Fisheye, I probably wouldn't really believe in Bigfoot. In fact, when I first argued with him I didn't actually believe in BF. I just felt bad for the people who did who did so I did the old 'pick the opposite opinion & try to argue that' trick. Oops, lol. Wasn't really prepared to learn something new but I did.

He motivated me to read hundreds of case reports. I am hyperlexic & that part was easy & I was able to identify patterns in the reports.

He is right about the lack of physical evidence. If I am going to state that BF is real; I have to have an answer to how is it alive? Eating, sleeping, moving, etc ...Is it above? Below? If it is real it must adhere to the same laws of nature that we do. Can I explain it's existence at a scientific level?

Can I incorporate the patterns into the science? Yes; actually. It is scientifically feasible for BF to be alive. There is a huge historical basis for BF. Understanding that the word 'BIGFOOT" was coined in the 1970's. Try searching archives for 'wild man' 'forest' 'hairy' 'giant' back as far as you can & the subject really opens up. I simply cannot fathom BF as alien. Nor primate. They are more like us than they are like anything else. If man can live, so can BF.

I wouldn't have taken it this far if everyone here agreed with me. I never would have found the Karst topography correlation that stopped a BF believers conference in it's tracks in September if they had. I shouldn't have been the one to find that. They should have but they didn't look because they hadn't been challenged to.

I understand the deal breaker is that at some point; some people just have blind faith in their government & I do not have that luxury.

That's why I debate on Respectful Insolence as an evil antivaxxer. If I stayed in the comfort of warrior-mamma FB pages that block dissenters I'll go soft. It would be too easy because It's so personal to me. My child died within 24 hrs of a vaccine. It's hard sometimes to stand my ground objectively. But if I can't what good am I?

No such thing as trolls. Just a challenge.

Look for passive-aggressive accumulation.

Once again. Please explain why it wouldn't be a good thing to try it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,270 posts, read 12,374,287 times
Reputation: 11506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Look for passive-aggressive accumulation.

Once again. Please explain why it wouldn't be a good thing to try it out?
What I am telling you is that our moderator will not go for it; even if you had 100% of the votes. As it was; it was not too long ago that she shut down all statements about Big Foot. That could happen again if we become too troublesome for her.

We do not own this forum; they can do whatever they want to do.

From Google this is the meaning of passive-aggressive behavior: "Passive-aggressive behaviors are those that involve acting indirectly aggressive rather than directly aggressive. Passive-aggressive people regularly exhibit resistance to requests or demands from family and other individuals often by procrastinating, expressing sullenness, or acting stubborn." Now you have a whole thread about how you do not want to be questioned - who is acting out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 12:47 PM
 
12,339 posts, read 20,937,183 times
Reputation: 20584
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What I am telling you is that our moderator will not go for it; even if you had 100% of the votes. As it was; it was not too long ago that she shut down all statements about Big Foot. That could happen again if we become too troublesome for her.

We do not own this forum; they can do whatever they want to do.

From Google this is the meaning of passive-aggressive behavior: "Passive-aggressive behaviors are those that involve acting indirectly aggressive rather than directly aggressive. Passive-aggressive people regularly exhibit resistance to requests or demands from family and other individuals often by procrastinating, expressing sullenness, or acting stubborn." Now you have a whole thread about how you do not want to be questioned - who is acting out here?
This, exactly. You can actually start a thread like this and simply add to it when you want, and I can have nothing to do with it. All you have to do is stop responding when someone “baits” you. I learned this as a moderator. The strongest response to somebody acting out is no response at all. They can’t fight back against that.

The first few times I infracted someone, there was a back-and-forth DM volley about me being mean and not understanding, then me explaining, then him responding about how still I was being mean and not understanding and so on. Now, if I infract someone and they DM me, I don’t respond. My word is law, and I don’t have to explain.

No, I don’t actually think that way. It’s just some people consider the wheedling part of the party. When met with complete stone face silence on the other end, there’s nothing to respond to so they stop. Think about the children you brought up. When they had a temper tantrum, what did you do in response. In my family when the kid starts having a temper tantrum, I make sure the area is clear of things that can hurt them, and then I walk away and continue doing what I need to do, whether it’s reading a book or watching television or sewing or whatever. Invariably when they figure out they’re not getting any attention, they stop. It’s the same technique.

I may have to change that technique, as I now have a grand nephew with autism. I may have to find a new technique.

Keep in mind, Versatile, if you do this you can’t report people who don’t believe in Bigfoot for posting in your thread. That’s not how this forum works. If you choose to create a Bigfoot believer thread, YOU will have to be the person that ignores people. If you start reporting people for not following your rules, which are not forum rules, I will shut down the thread.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 03:16 PM
 
10,978 posts, read 10,678,947 times
Reputation: 4274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This, exactly. You can actually start a thread like this and simply add to it when you want, and I can have nothing to do with it. All you have to do is stop responding when someone “baits” you. I learned this as a moderator. The strongest response to somebody acting out is no response at all. They can’t fight back against that.

The first few times I infracted someone, there was a back-and-forth DM volley about me being mean and not understanding, then me explaining, then him responding about how still I was being mean and not understanding and so on. Now, if I infract someone and they DM me, I don’t respond. My word is law, and I don’t have to explain.

No, I don’t actually think that way. It’s just some people consider the wheedling part of the party. When met with complete stone face silence on the other end, there’s nothing to respond to so they stop. Think about the children you brought up. When they had a temper tantrum, what did you do in response. In my family when the kid starts having a temper tantrum, I make sure the area is clear of things that can hurt them, and then I walk away and continue doing what I need to do, whether it’s reading a book or watching television or sewing or whatever. Invariably when they figure out they’re not getting any attention, they stop. It’s the same technique.

I may have to change that technique, as I now have a grand nephew with autism. I may have to find a new technique.

Keep in mind, Versatile, if you do this you can’t report people who don’t believe in Bigfoot for posting in your thread. That’s not how this forum works. If you choose to create a Bigfoot believer thread, YOU will have to be the person that ignores people. open source inventionsIf you start reporting people for not following your rules, which are not forum rules, I will shut down the thread.
Are you comparing me to an Autistic child?

Won't be my rules. Will be by your rules.: I can't make a sticky. If you start reporting people for not following your rules, which are not forum rules,

Thanks but I don't see how that will change anything.

Why not try one thread as I said and see if We get new posters? I see stickies in the political forum pop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 04:32 PM
 
12,339 posts, read 20,937,183 times
Reputation: 20584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you comparing me to an Autistic child?

Won't be my rules. Will be by your rules.: I can't make a sticky. If you start reporting people for not following your rules, which are not forum rules,

Thanks but I don't see how that will change anything.

Why not try one thread as I said and see if We get new posters? I see stickies in the political forum pop up.
Actually, I was more thinking out loud. I’ve never had to deal with an autistic child so now I have to find a new way to do that when I get back there.

I use speech to text, sometimes thinking out loud just happens.

You make thread, I’ll stick it.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 04:50 PM
 
10,978 posts, read 10,678,947 times
Reputation: 4274
Okay, I will. Thanks. An autistic grandchild will be a whole new learning experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,270 posts, read 12,374,287 times
Reputation: 11506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, I was more thinking out loud. I’ve never had to deal with an autistic child so now I have to find a new way to do that when I get back there.

I use speech to text, sometimes thinking out loud just happens.

You make thread, I’ll stick it.
Does that mean it will be the only BF thread that will be allowed? I also presume that thread will be for wolfmen, dogmen and others that are similar to?

In other words skeptics will not be allowed on that thread and believers will not be allowed to start other threads - correct? But then there is some grey area. Can skeptics start rebuttal threads when the claims are far too outrageous? Just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2019, 05:19 PM
 
12,339 posts, read 20,937,183 times
Reputation: 20584
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Does that mean it will be the only BF thread that will be allowed? I also presume that thread will be for wolfmen, dogmen and others that are similar to?

In other words skeptics will not be allowed on that thread and believers will not be allowed to start other threads - correct? But then there is some grey area. Can skeptics start rebuttal threads when the claims are far too outrageous? Just asking.
I’m only allowed two stickies. I know we’ve seen forums that have more than two, but they might have special reasons. I’ve tried to have three, I was told to ditch one.

This is an experiment.

I cannot regulate who posts where. In the title he may request that skeptics not post, but if skeptics do post, the OP has to ignore them. All the normal rules apply. Rudeness is not tolerated. Off topic not tolerated. If someone wants to start another Bigfoot thread, that’s okay.

I didn’t wanna get into what’s going on in my real life, but I have on other forums. Nine months ago my husband of 36 years was diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumor, six months ago he died, from a seizure. His heart stopped.

And bless him, he was a hoarder, and I want to sell my house and move. And it’s all on me. So to put it bluntly, I do NOT have a great deal of time for a lot of pussyfooting around here. If I have a repeat of the great Bigfoot reporting debacle of 2016, where in a 24 hour period I had 36 reports to deal with and I WAS ON VACATION, people are not going to be happy with what I do.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top