Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 01:09 PM

11,017 posts, read 9,646,254 times

Advertisements

And just like the game of "Telephone", the story will change a bit with every retelling until it's pretty much unrecognizable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 05:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,462,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And it is word of mouth history. It was passed down from one tribe member to another. Did every single tribe member get the story 100% right? I have told you over and over again about my one High School experience and how we could not get the information right even when we wrote it down immediately after it happened. Even if every tribe member had a photographic memory; I would still bet that some would get it wrong.
Isnt that part of the reason why those members of the tribe did cave paintings though...so the facts about their origins, customs, beliefs, are well known from generation to generation?

Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt that part of the reason why those members of the tribe did cave paintings though...so the facts about their origins, customs, beliefs, are well known from generation to generation?
So is that what modern graffiti is about: https://www.britannica.com/art/graffiti-art? Most of it surely isn't a representation of reality. It's more like scenting your territory.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
So is that what modern graffiti is about: https://www.britannica.com/art/graffiti-art? Most of it surely isn't a representation of reality. It's more like scenting your territory.
No, modern graffiti is just art work done by individuals, (although someone could create real historical graffiti that depicted real events), but if the human race were to ever die off and some other civilization came along, they would have our books, maps, etc to know what we were like as a people, what our beliefs were, our origins (in general). the tribes in those times didnt have the means to print books to leave behind, so they did what they could do, that would last the test of time.

A good example would be, if you or I went beneath some bridge and found a bunch of graffiti artwork...we would be able to determine right away if it was real historical details being depicted about our civilization, or if it was just art from an individual...this is just like the members of the tribe today, they claim these are historical depictions of their people...well, they would definitely be the ones to know that, just like we would know if graffiti under a bridge was real history or just someones artwork.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
No, modern graffiti is just art work done by individuals, (although someone could create real historical graffiti that depicted real events), but if the human race were to ever die off and some other civilization came along, they would have our books, maps, etc to know what we were like as a people, what our beliefs were, our origins (in general). the tribes in those times didnt have the means to print books to leave behind, so they did what they could do, that would last the test of time.

A good example would be, if you or I went beneath some bridge and found a bunch of graffiti artwork...we would be able to determine right away if it was real historical details being depicted about our civilization, or if it was just art from an individual...this is just like the members of the tribe today, they claim these are historical depictions of their people...well, they would definitely be the ones to know that, just like we would know if graffiti under a bridge was real history or just someones artwork.
Actually there is no way for us to know what the tribal graffiti artist were depicting. Of course some of their work does show the animals that they hunted and animals that hunted them. But modern graffiti is the same way, kind of. It depicts music artist, drug gangs, and people that simply want to be remembered by their name or preferred name. Some just want an enduring picture so they will not be forgotten. Like the old graffiti artist that used to carve a heart in a tree with their initials - they wanted to endure forever. Others simply like to deface anything; like children when they first learn what their crayons can do to a wall.

Some of those drawing could have been simply to tell other tribal members that this was their territory. That way, if they were out hunting and others found the cave, they would know they were in the right place. Or, if another tribe wandered into the cave, maybe they would be afraid of the things drawn on the walls and leave? It is very hard to say because there is no way that we can talk to the original artist. We can maybe talk to some groups of indigenous people about what they draw. But we will still never be able to communicate with the deceased.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Actually there is no way for us to know what the tribal graffiti artist were depicting. Of course some of their work does show the animals that they hunted and animals that hunted them. But modern graffiti is the same way, kind of. It depicts music artist, drug gangs, and people that simply want to be remembered by their name or preferred name. Some just want an enduring picture so they will not be forgotten. Like the old graffiti artist that used to carve a heart in a tree with their initials - they wanted to endure forever. Others simply like to deface anything; like children when they first learn what their crayons can do to a wall.

Some of those drawing could have been simply to tell other tribal members that this was their territory. That way, if they were out hunting and others found the cave, they would know they were in the right place. Or, if another tribe wandered into the cave, maybe they would be afraid of the things drawn on the walls and leave? It is very hard to say because there is no way that we can talk to the original artist. We can maybe talk to some groups of indigenous people about what they draw. But we will still never be able to communicate with the deceased.
And these people say the same thing, they were visited by 'sky people', there are some Native American indian tribes that claim this about their history as well.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
And these people say the same thing, they were visited by 'sky people', there are some Native American indian tribes that claim this about their history as well.
It is impossible for us to put ourselves in their shoes. Today we are sitting here debating many miles apart. We did not have to hunt and gather. Most of us are not in pain from untreated injuries sustained will gathering food. You and others try to interpret what we really cannot interpret.

I could say that they looked at the sky because it was impossible to travel there. But I would be speculating.

Stories are stories without evidence. We need some DNA or positive proof that we were visited. One would think, that somebody that could have traveled this distance and interacted with our primitive people, would have had some way to record or save information for the years to come. And I do not mean stonework. Where are the metal and exotic materials that helped get them here? Where are signs of their advanced civilization or spaceship graveyard?

You are probably well familiar with the Iron Pillar or Delphi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pillar_of_Delhi. Many, including "Chariots of the Gods" Erich von Däniken claimed that only aliens could have constructed it. Later he backed off the claim as more scientist were able to come up with an explanation as to why the pillar did not rust. That was cast about 300 to 400 years BC and many debates raged over the years. Then, with the primitive cave paintings we are talking about art drawn thousands of years before that. It is possible that some of our new tools might discover hidden meanings in those very old paintings; but lets wait and see.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:37 PM

32,801 posts, read 36,059,005 times
It is interesting. I wonder what those people saw long ago which caused them to create these paintings.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is interesting. I wonder what those people saw long ago which caused them to create these paintings.
I don't know; I am only speculating. Our kids start off drawing round heads and bodies. I suspect they simply drew what was easiest. But I was not there; none of us were. So any interpretation is only a interpretation. We will never be able to ask somebody that lived many thousands of years ago what they meant when they drew those pictures on the cave walls. Some of the pictures are obviously of the animals they hunted. But none of the pictures of other cavemen/women are grate representations of the real people. However some of their work, especially of the animals, is pretty impressive.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know; I am only speculating. Our kids start off drawing round heads and bodies. I suspect they simply drew what was easiest. But I was not there; none of us were. So any interpretation is only a interpretation. We will never be able to ask somebody that lived many thousands of years ago what they meant when they drew those pictures on the cave walls. Some of the pictures are obviously of the animals they hunted. But none of the pictures of other cavemen/women are grate representations of the real people. However some of their work, especially of the animals, is pretty impressive.
An interpretation by you or I would not be accurate...but when its the members of this tribe that interpret them, thats more credible.

BTW, its easy to see in the paintings, there are separate peoples, these particular 'sky people' look much different than the people of the tribe. They are also wearing different things too ,the tribal people in the paintings are easy to see, they are wearing what tribal members wear...the sky people though, WHO KNOWS what they are wearing, some say it looks like a space suit, some say a breathing apparatus, etc, point is though, the two peoples are depicted as being different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal