U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 AM

15,336 posts, read 12,405,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You make valid points, Fisheye. We must look at these stories and take them with a grain of salt. Look how the story of the benevolent St Nicholas has morphed into the story of Santa Claus with all the details of the North Pole, elves, flying sleighs, reindeer and even the red nosed Rudolph added in thru the yrs.

It would be natural for an ancient with no concept of human flight or inhabitable planets (they described the planets as "wandering stars") to describe an alien vehicle as a "chariot"- something they had knowledge of- and it's hot exhaust as "fire".:...But does anyone really think an advanced alien technology would be traveling light-year distances in a conveyance that had to rely on a combustible, quickly depleted fuel & oxidation for its power? Highly unlikely.

But it still makes you wonder.
I am all about wondering; I love the idea of aliens. I just do not see convincing proof they are here. That does not mean that we should give up looking; it is in our best interest to always look. As I have stated before; it is in our best interest to explore or colonize other planets and it would be in their (the alien's) best interest to do the same - we have all of our marbles in one basket and they might have the same problem.

Ancient accounts are ancient accounts. We should always question where our distant realities got their ideas. But we also have to put it into perspective. Even today we cannot trust our eyes and sometimes the evidence or experts. Here is a good YouTube link about eyewitness testimony (about five minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0QHWPWx7QU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM

11,036 posts, read 10,699,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When an event happens today and people are immediately asked to describe what they just saw; they have a hard time. In ancient times they had no smartphones to record the events. They also had no concept of the cataclysmic forces that altered their world. There is evidence that they turned to human sacrifice after many of those events. They used word of mouth until they could finally write down what they thought they saw. Or they recorded events told by others many years later.

Because they could not fly or reach the stars and other celestial bodies; they imagined what was there. Of course many thought our world was flat or the center of the universe. We do not look at their writings and believe that they were telling the truth because so many believed the same. Of course we know better now.

The one thing that we think we know, that we believe separates humans from animals, is that we have an imagination. Each one of us can walk away with our own interpretation of what we just witnessed - sometimes based on our preconceived ideas. That does not make it the 'truth'.
Dogs seem to dream. Does that show imagination.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Dogs seem to dream. Does that show imagination.
I don't know. I do know that when I had dogs years ago that they would look like they were chasing rabbits in their sleep. The feet would move and sometimes they would even leave out a muffled bark. I do not know it that is true imagination? Have to ask the experts. Here is one link that says it is possible; but qualifies the statement: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...nimals-imagine.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 3,958,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I don't know. I do know that when I had dogs years ago that they would look like they were chasing rabbits in their sleep. The feet would move and sometimes they would even leave out a muffled bark. I do not know it that is true imagination? Have to ask the experts. Here is one link that says it is possible; but qualifies the statement: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...nimals-imagine.
Dreaming is related to memory processing, not imagination. It's likely all mammals dream because integrating memories into long-term memory has survival value:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ey-do-rats-too

It's likely birds dream, too, but their dreaming may be related primarily to the songs they sing:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...355-story.html

It appears the neural network that powers Google image searches also does something similar to dreaming when it processes images:

https://www.popsci.com/these-are-wha...s-dreams-look/

Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks Vasily! I cannot rep you again right now.

It was interesting that AI dreams white noise looks could look like a Japanese pagoda!

Apparently AI has a very good imagination just like humans!

Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,417,964 times
Quote:
I personally don't believe this planet has been visited by extraterrestrials. That opinion is based mainly on the extremely low probability that we could even be found by aliens-- not a disbelief in the existence of them....but these myths sure make ya wonder.
Zacharia Sitchin has done extensive research of Sumarian tablets and matched it all up with the Bible stories and he seems to think there were 'gods' in those days who came from the stars. In his books, the Bible matches pretty well as a historical document which backs up the ancient Sumarian tablet texts.

We know that ancient races knew about the planets before we discovered them in the current time period, so maybe this would be an explanation to consider. There are ancient Stonehenge-like stone circles across the globe which show someone was making these along similar lines to show when the equinoxes were in the year and where the constellations were placed in the heavens. I think that is amazing.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:42 PM

13,351 posts, read 3,523,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Zacharia Sitchin has done extensive research of Sumarian tablets and matched it all up with the Bible stories and he seems to think there were 'gods' in those days who came from the stars. In his books, the Bible matches pretty well as a historical document which backs up the ancient Sumarian tablet texts.

We know that ancient races knew about the planets before we discovered them in the current time period, so maybe this would be an explanation to consider. There are ancient Stonehenge-like stone circles across the globe which show someone was making these along similar lines to show when the equinoxes were in the year and where the constellations were placed in the heavens. I think that is amazing.
The Sumerians even claim some of their kings were either extraterrestrial themselves or offspring hybrids, that is pretty amazing in itself.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:10 AM

5,002 posts, read 3,138,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The Sumerians even claim some of their kings were either extraterrestrial themselves or offspring hybrids, that is pretty amazing in itself.
I love it when you talk to yourself. But just because people wrote about something does not make it true. There are lots of old stories for varying purposes across all cultures. So even if we believe the stories then that is the start. We then look for evidence to support it. There is no evidence and amazingly with the availability of camera's it seems UFO video's (except things like Starlink) have gone down over the last decade.

It seems the biggest thing to keep UFO's away is clear picture quality.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 AM

Today it is impossible for us to think like a Sumerian. We cannot even think like our parents thought because our world has changed in that short period of time.

Just picture seeing a volcano erupt and spewing a huge boulder into the sky through your ancient ancestor's eyes. Is it possible that would have looked like a chariot of fire? Sometimes those volcanic bombs can be very large: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_bomb. How would you describe what you just witnessed without modern knowledge of how volcanos work?

If we were visited in ancient times you would think that one of the aliens would have started a local dump for all the waste they created. We would find old spaceship parts and memorabilia from other planets they visited on their way to Earth. If they did become 'kings' of our ancient ancestors you would think they would want some of their amenities from back home; but we do not find anything other than objects that were hand made and not by a super technology.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 AM

3,230 posts, read 1,264,107 times
^^ Good post. Can't rep you yet.

Another point-- just because so many ancient cultures separated in time & geography all seem to have myths of gods coming from heaven, doesn't mean there must be a grain of truth in it.

...After all, many species of geese all fly south for the winter (I thought goose down was supposed to be so warm??)-- They don't know why. They just do it. Their nervous systems are programmed to do it. We don't need to hypothesize that there was an ancient alien goose god telling them to do it..

Maybe human brains are programmed to imagine gods....and they must come from heaven because we certainly don't see them living anywhere on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal