U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 PM

701 posts, read 614,119 times

Advertisements

I saw a video on YouTube recently that depicted an eyewitness account of a "mile-long" ufo as seen by a pilot of a small passenger airplane. Why would such a massive UFO come to Earth, I mused? Why would a jumbo jet fly from New York to London? To transport passengers, of course. Humans have airports.
There are places out of sight of humans where aliens could land and unload alien travelers. A mile long vessel full of them is truly a scary thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 06:46 PM

11,118 posts, read 10,717,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Im pretty sure they are among us. Lots of people who seem to be living in another world.
I was a Legal Guardian for a buddy I grew up with. A great guy that became a Chronic Paranoid Schizophrenic.
I read to be around a Paranoid Schizophrenic; it would have a Profound Effect on your life. It did.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:35 PM

7,705 posts, read 4,267,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I saw a video on YouTube recently that depicted an eyewitness account of a "mile-long" ufo as seen by a pilot of a small passenger airplane. Why would such a massive UFO come to Earth, I mused? Why would a jumbo jet fly from New York to London? To transport passengers, of course. Humans have airports.
There are places out of sight of humans where aliens could land and unload alien travelers. A mile long vessel full of them is truly a scary thought.
Scary? Maybe they're scientists coming to cure cancer and initiate solutions for climate change. Superb artists and musicians, experts in providing pure food and water and individuals who can lead the way in ending political conflict.

And a dozen NFL placekickers who are mostly consistently decent.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 PM

5,275 posts, read 8,278,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they are among us, they would be NOTHING like those images above, they would blend in and probably look like your neighbor or boss at work, they would not act or dress in a way that draws attention to them.

The old B Movie, 'They live' is probably a realistic depiction of how they would look and act. (indistinguishable from normal humans).
There are at least a couple of excellent classic movies that are even better than that: 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' (1978) and 'The Thing' (1982). They imitate their victims.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 AM

701 posts, read 614,119 times
I also question why a UFO the size of a mothership
would fly that close to the ground anyway. They are
usually above Earth"s atmosphere and send smaller
craft down to rendezvous according to Ufologists.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM

15,399 posts, read 12,430,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Scary? Maybe they're scientists coming to cure cancer and initiate solutions for climate change. Superb artists and musicians, experts in providing pure food and water and individuals who can lead the way in ending political conflict.

And a dozen NFL placekickers who are mostly consistently decent.
Think of what humanity did when we were technologically advanced and sailed to other countries that were primitive.

If aliens are fleeing an exploding sun or imminent planetary collision and are technologically advanced to the point that our defense systems would poise no problem; do you think they would come to teach? Of course, in a way, you could say they would end political conflict!

Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM

3,268 posts, read 1,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Your definition of life is too narrow --- and rejected by most astro-physicists.

I think my definition is pretty inclusive-- the thing has to be able to influence it's environment. Even growing crystals would b covered by that.

I feel a little like Plato's Prisoner in the Cave. Nothing I can say will make sense if you're not familiar with probabilistic physics and The Minimum Principle-- pretty tough to explain in a short, poetically concise post in an internet forum.

Another point: there may be many ways to skin a cat, but only one MOST efficient way. Convergent evolution shows us many examples how independent tracks all lead to the same solution. Study the math of biology and you'll see how the minimum principle even applies to the evolution of body structure.

BTW- why should astro-physicists have anything meaningful to say about "life?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Because in this universe there are only so many ways quarks can combine to form protons and neutrons, and only so many ways electrons, protons, and neutrons can be combined to form stable elements. And we know what elements are present in the universe because of a century and a half worth of spectrographic analysis of light from the stars and other objects.

Not true. You might have different laws of physics in other universes (assuming the multiverse exists), but not in this one.

Spot on. Can't rep you again yet.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:06 PM

7,705 posts, read 4,267,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Think of what humanity did when we were technologically advanced and sailed to other countries that were primitive.

If aliens are fleeing an exploding sun or imminent planetary collision and are technologically advanced to the point that our defense systems would poise no problem; do you think they would come to teach? Of course, in a way, you could say they would end political conflict!
I kind of think that we have learned something from our history; perhaps your spacemen have as wall.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM

15,399 posts, read 12,430,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I kind of think that we have learned something from our history; perhaps your spacemen have as wall.
Not if the only reason they are here is to find a new home world!

Why would somebody come this far if they had everything they ever needed so far away? Of course it is possible you might be right and they are benevolent? I would be very suspicious of their motivation if they did state: "I Come in Peace":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk

Old 01-14-2020, 02:23 PM

17,461 posts, read 21,470,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I think my definition is pretty inclusive-- the thing has to be able to influence it's environment.
So fire is alive? Stiff breezes? Snowflakes?

Quote:
BTW- why should astro-physicists have anything meaningful to say about "life?"
Because they study this stuff for a living. I'll take their word over Internet messageboard commentators any day --- myself included.

Quote:
Another point: there may be many ways to skin a cat, but only one MOST efficient way. Convergent evolution shows us many examples how independent tracks all lead to the same solution. Study the math of biology and you'll see how the minimum principle even applies to the evolution of body structure.
On Earth, yes. On planets orbiting other stars, life may have evolved along different lines. Or not. Or both. And life that evolved millions of years before ours may have evolved beyond all the usual rules --- by natural evolution or design.

It's a gigantic cosmos out there, and for us to think we've got it all figured out based on a few centuries worth of study is the height of arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal