U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 04:32 PM

3,271 posts, read 1,275,559 times

Advertisements

I still wanna know how would they find us?

For perspective:-- if the Sun were a basketball, Earth would be 1/3rd a grain of rice located 100ft away. Pluto would be the period at the end of this sentence, located 3000 ft from the basketball Sun...And One Light Year would be about a billion miles in this scaled down model Universe... and the closet possible inhabitable planet (if Sirius has one) could be no closer than 4 billion miles away.

The only exoplanets we can find are the ones so big and close to their companion stars that they can effect a wobble in the star's position. We can only infer the existence of the planet because it's so large. Our Earth wouldn't afford an alien observer the same luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 04:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,147,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I still wanna know how would they find us?

For perspective:-- if the Sun were a basketball, Earth would be 1/3rd a grain of rice located 100ft away. Pluto would be the period at the end of this sentence, located 3000 ft from the basketball Sun...And One Light Year would be about a billion miles in this scaled down model Universe... and the closet possible inhabitable planet (if Sirius has one) could be no closer than 4 billion miles away.

The only exoplanets we can find are the ones so big and close to their companion stars that they can effect a wobble in the star's position. We can only infer the existence of the planet because it's so large. Our Earth wouldn't afford an alien observer the same luxury.
Here's a little more info from NASA: https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/alien-wo...find-a-planet/

Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 PM

15,400 posts, read 12,433,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Here's a little more info from NASA: https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/alien-wo...find-a-planet/
NASA is launching another mission next year to search out those exoplanets: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...webb-telescope. From that link: "When NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope launches in 2021, it will open a new window on these exoplanets, observing them in wavelengths at which they have never been seen before and gaining new insights about their nature."

Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 PM

7,711 posts, read 4,269,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not if the only reason they are here is to find a new home world!

Why would somebody come this far if they had everything they ever needed so far away? Of course it is possible you might be right and they are benevolent? I would be very suspicious of their motivation if they did state: "I Come in Peace":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk
I'm beginning to think you're serious about this stuff not just entertaining yourself.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Do you think that 1/3rd grain of rice passing in front of the basketball is going to cause noticeable dimming from 4 billion miles away?

I re-iterate: we can only find exoplanets very large compared to their star. "They" would never see us....Even if their technology is so advanced that they could pick us out, they must be able to find thousands & thousands of other small planets. Why would they focus on us over the others?

Not impossible, but very, very, very improbable.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 AM

11,131 posts, read 10,721,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Do you think that 1/3rd grain of rice passing in front of the basketball is going to cause noticeable dimming from 4 billion miles away?

I re-iterate: we can only find exoplanets very large compared to their star. "They" would never see us....Even if their technology is so advanced that they could pick us out, they must be able to find thousands & thousands of other small planets. Why would they focus on us over the others?

Not impossible, but very, very, very improbable.
Handheld Lazer heat guns weren't around that long ago and it spawned a whole new industry. They just have better gizmos and gadgets than you can imagine?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I'm beginning to think you're serious about this stuff not just entertaining yourself.
I am serious; I look at life and what life does to survive. I think of what we would do to survive if we knew our planet was on the verge of destruction. I look at what we have done in the past in our quest for natural resources and wealth. Look at what we are going to do to our onw unexplored sea floor shortly: https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ua-new-guinea/. We have countries, including our own, that have speculated about mining helium 3 from the moon. Some have speculated about mining Mars: https://bigthink.com/surprising-scie...mining-on-mars.

I am just saying that, when we place our gigantic machines on the ocean floor or in space to extract precious metals, we will not be concerned about any indigenous life. Money and wealth will be our driving principal and in most cases we do not even need those precious metals to survive. Think of what we would do if we did need them to survive.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 AM

13,470 posts, read 3,559,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am serious; I look at life and what life does to survive. I think of what we would do to survive if we knew our planet was on the verge of destruction. I look at what we have done in the past in our quest for natural resources and wealth. Look at what we are going to do to our onw unexplored sea floor shortly: https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ua-new-guinea/. We have countries, including our own, that have speculated about mining helium 3 from the moon. Some have speculated about mining Mars: https://bigthink.com/surprising-scie...mining-on-mars.

I am just saying that, when we place our gigantic machines on the ocean floor or in space to extract precious metals, we will not be concerned about any indigenous life. Money and wealth will be our driving principal and in most cases we do not even need those precious metals to survive. Think of what we would do if we did need them to survive.
I agree with you on this, there is NO concern for indigenous life, heck, look at the history of the western US for proof of that...at first, we played nice with the Native Americans, but when push came to shove, the US govt took what they wanted by force and violence.

I also agree on the mining of space, some claim there is gold chunks the size of vehicles floating around out there! Wealth like that would create a level we have never seen before on this planet.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree with you on this, there is NO concern for indigenous life, heck, look at the history of the western US for proof of that...at first, we played nice with the Native Americans, but when push came to shove, the US govt took what they wanted by force and violence.

I also agree on the mining of space, some claim there is gold chunks the size of vehicles floating around out there! Wealth like that would create a level we have never seen before on this planet.
They claim that gold is not valuable enough to bring back to Earth with current technology. The only thing with current technology worth mining in space is helium 3. But that will change as technology improves; where there is a will there is a way.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:47 AM

At today's prices, 2000 lb of gold is worth $48M...One trip to the moon costs $14B.

I know-- like the morons with the hot dog stand losing 30cents/dog-- they hope to make it up on volume.

The futurists who see the regularization of space travel are stuck in the paradigm of The Age of Exploration (1492- 1600) and of Manifest Destiny. That ain't gunna work for space travel. Those pioneers found familiar conditions when they got where they were going and no special technology to stay alive there. They didn't have to bring all their essentials with them. and the cost of their voyages were chump change to the monarchs they served.

Remember it only took about 60 yrs to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon...We haven't been back to the moon in 50 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal