U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 AM

13,433 posts, read 3,543,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought it was a joke --- give him a week and he would make one, no?
It would be very easy to identify a 'homemade' crop circle (done with boards and ropes).

The real ones are MUCH different, in just about every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 10:03 AM

661 posts, read 368,378 times
Yes, I was joking. I have a hard time believing aliens (which I believe may exist), who have somehow traveled vast distances using technology we do not understand, are limited to communicating with us, or other aliens, through the use of crop circles...

Last edited by raggedjim; 01-10-2020 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM

15,385 posts, read 12,420,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It would be very easy to identify a 'homemade' crop circle (done with boards and ropes).

The real ones are MUCH different, in just about every way.
Did you read that link I posted before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle? Two pranksters, that claimed they were responsible for all the crop circles before 1987, with a wire and plank. Then, I quote: "To prove their case they made a circle in front of journalists; a "cereologist" (advocate of paranormal explanations of crop circles), Pat Delgado, examined the circle and declared it authentic before it was revealed that it was a hoax."

Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 PM

81,039 posts, read 74,189,372 times
I wasn't aware they had them in the US. The artists who started the fad are in the UK. But I guess there could be copycats here in the US, not to mention--Canada. I haven't kept up with developments "in the field", as they say (haw) .

Old 01-10-2020, 06:48 PM

11,093 posts, read 10,711,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Did you read that link I posted before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle? Two pranksters, that claimed they were responsible for all the crop circles before 1987, with a wire and plank. Then, I quote: "To prove their case they made a circle in front of journalists; a "cereologist" (advocate of paranormal explanations of crop circles), Pat Delgado, examined the circle and declared it authentic before it was revealed that it was a hoax."
He said it:

Can you deny RS62 that he says true circles are woven and he has been there?

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
He said it:

Can you deny RS62 that he says true circles are woven and he has been there?
Here is a good article on crop circles and explores all the bases: https://www.livescience.com/26540-crop-circles.html. That said, about a third down that link, you will find this statement: "While there are countless theories, the only known, proven cause of crop circles is humans."

Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 PM

3,364 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Here is what good old Wikipedia says about the history of crop circles: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle) "The concept of "crop circles" began with the original late-1970s hoaxes by Doug Bower and Dave Chorley. They said that they were inspired by the Tully "saucer nest" case in Australia, where a farmer claimed to first have seen a UFO, then found a flattened circle of swamp reeds."

The article goes on to state: "In 1991, self-professed pranksters Doug Bower and Dave Chorley made headlines claiming it was they who started the phenomenon in 1978 with the use of simple tools consisting of a plank of wood, rope, and a baseball cap fitted with a loop of wire to help them walk in a straight line." Then the article goes on to state: "To prove their case they made a circle in front of journalists; a "cereologist" (advocate of paranormal explanations of crop circles), Pat Delgado, examined the circle and declared it authentic before it was revealed that it was a hoax."

So it brings up the question of who are the 'experts' on crop circles and what proof do they have to offer that these are not simply the work of the local frat house and our young with too much time on their hands?
Tully is just over 200 k's north of Townsville where I live. Just a couple of hours drive. Several years ago while on a visit to Tully I was taken to the area where the original 'saucer nests' had been reported back in the late-1960's. The thing is, the 'nests' were discovered after the farmer had seen a silvery saucer-shaped object taking off from the area. In this case anyway it was assumed that the 'nest' had been the result of the 'craft' having landed and rested there. I must admit to having had a not unnaturally strange feeling when actually standing in that exact area where this alleged incident took place several decades earlier.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:37 AM

13,433 posts, read 3,543,521 times
Quote:
I do not know that crop circle investigator, it could have been he was over eager to declare it authentic, but from what Ive seen, its pretty easy to tell the difference, humans using boards and ropes to literally push the crops over, cannot weave the fallen crops, and the 'push over point' is different.

Ultimately I do not know what is creating these things, I do not believe an alien spacecraft descends to create them though. Wind under certain conditions may be able to weave the crops or make them look woven, but on the other hand, I doubt wind could produce complex shapes, patterns and pictures in the fallen crops...if wind did do this, it would be a whole lot stranger than aliens doing it imo, because then, you would have to explain why/how the wind (in itself) is creating intricate patters and pictures in crops (implying that wind has an intelligence).

Old 01-11-2020, 07:47 AM

3,364 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do not know that crop circle investigator, it could have been he was over eager to declare it authentic, but from what Ive seen, its pretty easy to tell the difference, humans using boards and ropes to literally push the crops over, cannot weave the fallen crops, and the 'push over point' is different.

Ultimately I do not know what is creating these things, I do not believe an alien spacecraft descends to create them though. Wind under certain conditions may be able to weave the crops or make them look woven, but on the other hand, I doubt wind could produce complex shapes, patterns and pictures in the fallen crops...if wind did do this, it would be a whole lot stranger than aliens doing it imo, because then, you would have to explain why/how the wind (in itself) is creating intricate patters and pictures in crops (implying that wind has an intelligence).
You're ruling out the faking of crop circles in at least some cases. You're ruling out alien spacecraft. You're ruling out the wind. So, what is left as being responsible for the creation of at least SOME of these crop circles?

Old 01-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Tully is just over 200 k's north of Townsville where I live. Just a couple of hours drive. Several years ago while on a visit to Tully I was taken to the area where the original 'saucer nests' had been reported back in the late-1960's. The thing is, the 'nests' were discovered after the farmer had seen a silvery saucer-shaped object taking off from the area. In this case anyway it was assumed that the 'nest' had been the result of the 'craft' having landed and rested there. I must admit to having had a not unnaturally strange feeling when actually standing in that exact area where this alleged incident took place several decades earlier.
Thank you! Interesting and it is great to have an eye witness. Of course the question is if we can trust our own eyes which have been proven to be wrong from time to time. I still remember the "Secret Power of Pyramids" https://www.pyramid-cafe.in/Power.html. It was a time when many believed that the pyramid shape was the key to a longer, happier, life. But I guess time and experience put those beliefs to rest. Maybe it was, that after lining up one's pyramid in a north/south direction, their razors still became dull? But we still have people that feel an energy when standing on the top of an ancient pyramid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal