U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 09:35 AM

11,521 posts, read 10,902,991 times

Advertisements

The expert searcher.

As McCarter recounts:
“I just finished reading the paper and was watching and listening to the storm for over an hour when the telephone rings. The call is from Chief Ranger Snedden who tells me about the Martin boy and asks me to report for duty tomorrow at 5:00 A.M. at the Bote Mountain Trail. I do not say so to him, but I know the rain storm is a major complication to the search, greatly diminishing the chances of finding Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:09 AM

127 posts, read 46,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

What I would like to find out first, is if Special Forces were truly involved in the search.
If I recall correctly, at that time there was at least one Army training base somewhat near the area. Some of the Appalachian Trail guidebooks used to warn hikers that they could come upon fully-outfitted military members in the forest. I don't know about this case specifically but I believe they have asked for volunteers from the military base during some of the other missing person searches. This case was long before my time.

I have spent a lot of time on the trails in the Smokies and believe me, if you walk more than two or three feet off some of the paths you will have a hard time finding your way back, even as an adult. A frightened child... I can't imagine. My guess would be that he got lost, then tumbled partway down a mountain, and got severely injured and could not respond to the searchers. Then he died of his injuries or exposure/starvation. But I cannot figure out why no trace of his clothes or remains were ever found.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM

82,517 posts, read 75,544,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I see that we have again a child going missing with parents only feet away and then a Thuderstorm rolls in and 2.5 inches of rain comes down.
Same scenario in many missing cases.
That's what I don't understand. The info said, that the kids were playing together, then all but Dennis went off in one direction, while Dennis went off on a different trail alone. But the parents were "only feet away"? I missed that part, but why would they let a 6-year-old wander off on his own? Or maybe they started to call to him immediately, to get him to turn around and come back to the group? That was the fateful moment. It seems like a weak link in the story.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
If I recall correctly, at that time there was at least one Army training base somewhat near the area. Some of the Appalachian Trail guidebooks used to warn hikers that they could come upon fully-outfitted military members in the forest. I don't know about this case specifically but I believe they have asked for volunteers from the military base during some of the other missing person searches. This case was long before my time.

I have spent a lot of time on the trails in the Smokies and believe me, if you walk more than two or three feet off some of the paths you will have a hard time finding your way back, even as an adult. A frightened child... I can't imagine. My guess would be that he got lost, then tumbled partway down a mountain, and got severely injured and could not respond to the searchers. Then he died of his injuries or exposure/starvation. But I cannot figure out why no trace of his clothes or remains were ever found.
This is what crossed my mind, too. As to why no trace of clothes or remains; maybe an animal carried him off to its den?

Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 AM

11,521 posts, read 10,902,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what I don't understand. The info said, that the kids were playing together, then all but Dennis went off in one direction, while Dennis went off on a different trail alone. But the parents were "only feet away"? I missed that part, but why would they let a 6-year-old wander off on his own? Or maybe they started to call to him immediately, to get him to turn around and come back to the group? That was the fateful moment. It seems like a weak link in the story.
That many kids and that many people in a supposedly safe place.
I see they did nothing wrong.

William Martin said, “that between 3-5 minutes after last seeing Dennis he became concerned and began calling for the boy.” Moments later the others were calling for him as well, and as the adults began to move up the hill in the direction Dennis was last seen

Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM

12,576 posts, read 21,184,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Parents used to do that. I was raised in the 60s, and it was very common for me to get on my bike in the morning and come back in late afternoon to help mom for dinner. Me and my friends would just go out riding bikes and hanging out and playing. She had no idea where we were, trust me she didn’t wanna know. We were out exploring and we had a great time and nothing happened.

And when something did, on occasion, there was always an adult around and everybody knew everybody and peoples mothers were in the phonebook.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 PM

366 posts, read 94,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Parents used to do that. I was raised in the 60s, and it was very common for me to get on my bike in the morning and come back in late afternoon to help mom for dinner. Me and my friends would just go out riding bikes and hanging out and playing. She had no idea where we were, trust me she didn’t wanna know. We were out exploring and we had a great time and nothing happened.

And when something did, on occasion, there was always an adult around and everybody knew everybody and peoples mothers were in the phonebook.
We would have got in trouble for being around the house all day. We behaved because if one of the neighbors had to give us a whack for misbehaving we knew we would get another when we got home because the neighbor had to give us one.

My only question is how by any stretch of the imagination did this became a bigfoot abduction story/post. With all that searching they didn't find a bigfoot either.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Riding bikes around the neighborhood and neighboring areas is very different from allowing a small child to wander off into the wilderness, where it could be easy to mistake an animal track for the trail, and get lost. Parents who let their kids ride bikes around town freely (and I'm not sure if that was allowed for 5- and 6-year olds) tended to be very careful when taking small children on a hike or picnic out in nature.
Similarly, they were very careful to keep little kids close by, even hand-in-hand, when venturing into crowds, like in big department stores, zoos, and other attractions. They don't seem to do that anymore, and sometimes tragedies or near-tragedies narrowly averted result. Allowing a 6-year-old to wander off alone on a trail in anything but a city park -- I can't imagine.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:13 PM

9,144 posts, read 2,296,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
I

This is what many people believed happened to Jaryd Atadero, a three-year-old who disappeared in the Colorado mountains.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...c-a1c6e17c467a

Old 02-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is what many people believed happened to Jaryd Atadero, a three-year-old who disappeared in the Colorado mountains.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/c...c-a1c6e17c467a
There's very little info in this article. Is there more info elsewhere? That discusses details regarding his clothes being found, possible speculation based on that, details of how/where he got separated from his parents, etc.? Or did I miss part of the article--seemed like a short one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal