U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM

11,312 posts, read 10,790,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what crossed my mind, too. As to why no trace of clothes or remains; maybe an animal carried him off to its den?
Searchers and dogs should have found a six-year old boy. Any den no problem. The stink and torn clothing would be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 02:46 PM

12,470 posts, read 21,056,554 times
Quote:
Riding bikes around the neighborhood and neighboring areas is very different from allowing a small child to wander off into the wilderness, where it could be easy to mistake an animal track for the trail, and get lost. Parents who let their kids ride bikes around town freely (and I'm not sure if that was allowed for 5- and 6-year olds) tended to be very careful when taking small children on a hike or picnic out in nature.
Similarly, they were very careful to keep little kids close by, even hand-in-hand, when venturing into crowds, like in big department stores, zoos, and other attractions. They don't seem to do that anymore, and sometimes tragedies or near-tragedies narrowly averted result. Allowing a 6-year-old to wander off alone on a trail in anything but a city park -- I can't imagine.
I lived in the middle of nowhere... there was a small neighborhood, but the rest of the area was woods and vast farms. Some of them abandoned. And strip mines.

You cannot use today’s parenting styles to parenting in the 50’s and 60’s.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
We would have got in trouble for being around the house all day. We behaved because if one of the neighbors had to give us a whack for misbehaving we knew we would get another when we got home because the neighbor had to give us one.

My only question is how by any stretch of the imagination did this became a bigfoot abduction story/post. With all that searching they didn't find a bigfoot either.
You were the first person to mention Bigfoot. Although I can see why you thought that with the dogs comment — about the dogs not been wanting to search. However, if there were rains I can see maybe the dogs wouldn’t be able to hunt because the scent track would be gone. I know very little about dogs though.

It is however an unsolved mystery.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:03 PM

15,617 posts, read 12,529,672 times
Quote:
That's what I don't understand. The info said, that the kids were playing together, then all but Dennis went off in one direction, while Dennis went off on a different trail alone. But the parents were "only feet away"? I missed that part, but why would they let a 6-year-old wander off on his own? Or maybe they started to call to him immediately, to get him to turn around and come back to the group? That was the fateful moment. It seems like a weak link in the story.
To me that is how they justified their actions. My feeling was from that article that 'feet away' was a considerable distance. If the child was only feet away I would think they parents never would have lost sight of their child.

Even if the child was not far from the parents there is always a chance the boy slipped down an old mining shaft or well. Possibly too many people had trafficked through the area by the time dogs were brought in? How steep were the hills close to the path that they were on? Some of those hills could be very steep and extremely hard to search. I know that we are not talking about the same elevations as out in the West. But that National Park does have six elevations over 6,000 feet and that could be a challenge for any search party. Plus the Smoky Mountains are called the Smokey Mountains for a reason; fog can get thick and heavy. That can also make searching difficult and would confuse a child. One other way a child could disappear in a forest if there was a sharp drop-off; he could fall and his body could get hung up in a tree.

There was a semi truck that disappeared for four months going though the George on Route I-40, It went through the guardrails and down a steep ravine. The NC State workers even came out and repaired the guardrails and never saw the truck down below. Finally, months later, a hiker spotted the truck at the bottom. If a commercial truck can disappear for a long time I am sure a small child can also or disappear forever.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM

8,696 posts, read 2,132,549 times
Quote:
There's very little info in this article. Is there more info elsewhere? That discusses details regarding his clothes being found, possible speculation based on that, details of how/where he got separated from his parents, etc.? Or did I miss part of the article--seemed like a short one.
The problem is that this is 20 years ago and it happened to an "ordinary" family (not like the Ramseys of Boulder, for example) and although there was plenty of local coverage -- in fact, Jaryd's sister was in my son's kindergarten class and Mr. Atadero was a gym teacher at the local junior high, if I remember correctly , so I might have paid more attention to it than most people -- it did not make national news, so there is very little "detailed" coverage that I could find. However, the following article gives some more info. Just a very sad situation, like all missing (and murdered) children's cases are.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/winds...-sons-clothes/

Old 02-06-2020, 06:05 PM

13,214 posts, read 5,356,659 times
There are a LOT of cases of kids (seemingly almost always boys) who vanish forever in this manner. Out hiding with the family, and then in the blink of an eye they're gone.

We'll never know. If someone took him, that person has probably died, carrying the secret with him.

On the other hand, I find if REALLY odd that with the two families camping together - both named Martin - no one seemed to know whether they are related or it was just a coincidence that they had the same name. WHAT? How could that information not be a part of the investigation - the identity and relationship of the families camping together?

Also, the author of this article doesn't know what conspicuous means. Just sayin'.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There are a LOT of cases of kids (seemingly almost always boys) who vanish forever in this manner. Out hiding with the family, and then in the blink of an eye they're gone.

We'll never know. If someone took him, that person has probably died, carrying the secret with him.

On the other hand, I find if REALLY odd that with the two families camping together - both named Martin - no one seemed to know whether they are related or it was just a coincidence that they had the same name. WHAT? How could that information not be a part of the investigation - the identity and relationship of the families camping together?

Also, the author of this article doesn't know what conspicuous means. Just sayin'.
You have a point about the families names. A few years back, two Amish kids were arrested for I think it was meth. And their names were listed in the paper as Abner Yoder and Abner Yoder (not related). Ah, rumspringa.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:52 PM

304 posts, read 75,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You were the first person to mention Bigfoot. Although I can see why you thought that with the dogs comment — about the dogs not been wanting to search. However, if there were rains I can see maybe the dogs wouldn’t be able to hunt because the scent track would be gone. I know very little about dogs though.

It is however an unsolved mystery.
It is in the article linked to in the first post. Isn't that why it was posted in this section instead of a more appropriate one for missing people?

Quote from article: or even something akin to the legendary Sasquatch, might have been involved with the kidnapping.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 PM

11,312 posts, read 10,790,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Maybe the family didn't want to get into the family stuff. Dennis is missing that is what we are thinking about.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 PM

13,946 posts, read 3,690,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
If I recall correctly, at that time there was at least one Army training base somewhat near the area. Some of the Appalachian Trail guidebooks used to warn hikers that they could come upon fully-outfitted military members in the forest. I don't know about this case specifically but I believe they have asked for volunteers from the military base during some of the other missing person searches. This case was long before my time.

I have spent a lot of time on the trails in the Smokies and believe me, if you walk more than two or three feet off some of the paths you will have a hard time finding your way back, even as an adult. A frightened child... I can't imagine. My guess would be that he got lost, then tumbled partway down a mountain, and got severely injured and could not respond to the searchers. Then he died of his injuries or exposure/starvation. But I cannot figure out why no trace of his clothes or remains were ever found.
Its more complicated than that, the search dogs would not start looking once they got to the area.

This kid was only like 30ft away, if he had fallen or gotten lost somehow, he could have yelled, or heard his family calling him.

Very strange when people just fall off the face of the earth, especially this case, since he was SO close to his family when it happened, and for there to be NO evidence of any kind...that isnt possible, unless it was something extremely strange/bizarre.

* I dont know what to make of the weather contradiction, every weather forecast site Ive checked, says they had NO rain until the 23rd of June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal