U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 02:54 PM

11,511 posts, read 10,896,045 times

Advertisements

All the news reporters got paid. etc etc on down the line. I understand the need for closure. Agreed many cases are probably still open. I think any info would be appreciated. Especially if the parent's facts were ignored. I might think he is trash, but I would want to hear what he has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 04:06 PM

82,453 posts, read 75,505,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If the govt is reluctant to provide information...there is probably a good reason for that, implying that Paulides is likely correct on SOME of these cases being more 'sinister' and involving things Govt prefer to keep secret.
Or that's what Paulides would like his fans to think, so he salts his stories with comments about how the government was uncooperative with him.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM

6,203 posts, read 4,617,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
There is a mystery that remains unsolved for decades. Multitudes of people have disappeared mysteriously in national parks referred to as the 411. A series of books have been written.The following is a map of all these cases. Refer to source https://downthechupacabrahole.com/20...ational-parks/

Oddly, the National Parks do not keep records of disappearances.

Check out YouTube also for documetaries about this.
It makes sense that there are so many missing in national parks. People are ignorant of what could happen.

People from all over the world who have never been in the bush, never been in hills/mountains, never seen a bear or a lion except for a zoo or wildlife sanctuary, never been off pavement, think it's okay to just go for a hike when they have NO clue what they are doing. They have no idea how easy it is to get turned around.

I'm not saying this isn't just plain weird. I'm just pointing a few things out that makes sense why people go missing in such rugged areas.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,770,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would be interested to know why US special forces were brought in ( I may be mistaken on this, but Ive read they can only be used in an incident like this if national security is somehow involved) and they cannot just be asked to help because they were nearby or were not busy at the time...Does anyone know anything more about this, (protocol?)

Another thing I think is strange, is the FBI lead investigator committing suicide.
While most Army Special Forces groups belong to the regular (active duty) Army there are two Special Forces groups under the Army National Guard. Like any other National Guard unit they can be called upon for disaster relief/humanitarian assistance. The 19th and 20th Special Forces groups are made up of National Guardsmen and both have sub units based within a reasonable driving distance of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, perhaps it was one of their training periods and they saw an opportunity to do some field exercises while looking for Dennis?

That said, it's also not unheard of for active duty military units to occasionally be called upon for search and rescue, disaster relief missions, or various technical rescue stuff. It's usually limited to Navy and/or Air Force assets ... Navy ships being asked to help the Coast Guard in a search & rescue mission, etc. Delta Force commandos were involved in 'assisting' the FBI's elite HRT in preparing to rescue BOP officers and civilian employees being held hostage by rioting Cuban migrants at USP Atlanta in 1987.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:03 AM

15,895 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It makes sense that there are so many missing in national parks. People are ignorant of what could happen.

People from all over the world who have never been in the bush, never been in hills/mountains, never seen a bear or a lion except for a zoo or wildlife sanctuary, never been off pavement, think it's okay to just go for a hike when they have NO clue what they are doing. They have no idea how easy it is to get turned around.

I'm not saying this isn't just plain weird. I'm just pointing a few things out that makes sense why people go missing in such rugged areas.
If you go to this link (https://www.micahhanks.com/history/d...oky-mountains/) and look at the mountain behind William Martin calling on a megaphone to his son; one can clearly see why anybody can go missing in one of these parks. People simply do not walk up and down terrain like that. Four and a half hours after the boy went lost there was a heavy thunderstorm and that made everything wet and slippery. The Smoky Mountains are called 'smoky' because of the blue haze or fog that is commonly seen hugging them. That also keeps the leaves and branches moist and slippery.

Noise, like a gun shot or a child's scream can also be deceiving. Sound will echo and it takes either a prolonged sound or repeated sound to finally establish direction.

The accounts of how the child was only 'feet away' or 30 feet away can also be deceiving. Think of 6 and 7 year old kids and how they think or don't think. The child could have thought he was still playing a game and ran deeper into the forest to hide. Even when the child realized he was in danger of being lost; he could have panicked and ran in the wrong direction from his father's calls. If he slipped down a hillside, like the one in the picture behind his father, his body could have been snagged against the trunk of a tree and never found or he could even have been snagged in some of the higher branches and his body never hit the ground.

It is dangerous to go off a trail; even for adults. I agree with you 100%!

PS I just want to throw in that about 12 people each year die at the Grand Canyon: https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/pa...h-grand-canyon. Most die from dehydration but falling is still a very real danger. When I was there we watched families play on the edge and I was amazed that more do not fall to their death.

Last edited by fisheye; 02-10-2020 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 06:33 AM

11,511 posts, read 10,896,045 times
I trust the Green Berets saying he wasn't there.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 AM

15,895 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I trust the Green Berets saying he wasn't there.
Green Berets are not supermen. They are great at what they do; but this was not a war mission where casualties are acceptable. They all wanted to return home to their families and friends safely and hopefully with the missing child. You cannot rescue anybody if you are injured or killed. It is also about resources; how much does one risk and where do they take that risk? They could have been looking in the wrong direction?

The one thing I did not see mentioned is that many cases of child abductions involve a parent or relative: https://www.parents.com/kids/safety/...duction-facts/. While that does not seem to be the case in this missing child case; I don't think parents and relatives were suspected as much 50 years ago as they are today.

Locally we do not have mountains as steep as the Smoky Mountain National Park. Our tallest 'mountains' are only about 3,000 feet high. Some of the Mountains in that National Park are 6,000 feet tall. In 2014 we had a man that shot and killed a State Trooper and was subsequently hunted himself for 45 days by up to a 1,000 police using four helicopters with thermal imaging. They did get him; but more by simple luck and a hunch to check out an abandoned building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Frein. In 1969 they did not have the technology we have today and the terrain was more difficult for the search teams. Regardless of how skilled they were; there was only so much they could accomplish.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:01 AM

7,169 posts, read 4,060,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well, I would bet two things on Paulides not getting info. First, a lot of these cases he’s looking into are probably technically still open, albeit cold cases. Second, as a parent or family of a person that has gone missing, can you imagine the pain? And now some guy wants to make money off my pain? How dare he. At least that’s my thinking. I know if I were in the shoes of those parents I’d tell Paulides to take a flying leap at a rolling donut off a very short pier, probably in language that would just show up as asterisks on this forum.
From what I've learned about missing persons cases it is of the utmost importance to keep the matter fresh in the public's mind or soon we move on to the next case of interest. Just look at the good that has come out of the "Missing Maura Murray" podcasts and campaign. All these years later it has generated a flood of tips from the public which are being followed up on. Her family has stated its gratitude for keeping the twenty-year-old case alive.

Unfortunately it costs money to publish books, run podcasts and travel to do interviews. Since Paulides could have chosen any number of subjects for his books and probably has a good government pension another way to look at his endeavor is creation of information and service to families of missing people.

Plus he provides subjects of interest for people like you and me to read. Maybe the family resents all of us nameless people for reading about the subject of their pain? Money was made providing it to us.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 AM

82,453 posts, read 75,505,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Green Berets are not supermen. They are great at what they do; but this was not a war mission where casualties are acceptable. They all wanted to return home to their families and friends safely and hopefully with the missing child. You cannot rescue anybody if you are injured or killed. It is also about resources; how much does one risk and where do they take that risk? They could have been looking in the wrong direction?

The one thing I did not see mentioned is that many cases of child abductions involve a parent or relative: https://www.parents.com/kids/safety/...duction-facts/. While that does not seem to be the case in this missing child case; I don't think parents and relatives were suspected as much 50 years ago as they are today.

Locally we do not have mountains as steep as the Smoky Mountain National Park. Our tallest 'mountains' are only about 3,000 feet high. Some of the Mountains in that National Park are 6,000 feet tall. In 2014 we had a man that shot and killed a State Trooper and was subsequently hunted himself for 45 days by up to a 1,000 police using four helicopters with thermal imaging. They did get him; but more by simple luck and a hunch to check out an abandoned building: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Frein. In 1969 they did not have the technology we have today and the terrain was more difficult for the search teams. Regardless of how skilled they were; there was only so much they could accomplish.
Hmm, 50 years ago...1970? I'm not sure exactly when, but I think it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's that some kind of study was done, and the public was first alerted to the fact you refer to; that many child abductions involve a parent, often a non-custodial one. So, suspecting parental involvement has been going on for several decades at this point, if not quite 5. But that generally wouldn't apply to these wilderness cases.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 AM

14,744 posts, read 3,924,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hmm, 50 years ago...1970? I'm not sure exactly when, but I think it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's that some kind of study was done, and the public was first alerted to the fact you refer to; that many child abductions involve a parent, often a non-custodial one. So, suspecting parental involvement has been going on for several decades at this point, if not quite 5. But that generally wouldn't apply to these wilderness cases.
I think its safe to say that NO HUMAN was involved in this case, its just not possible.

It can really only be 3 different things, he either fell into a hole or deep shaft that was not easily visible on the surface, an animal got him and VERY quickly subdued him (without making a sound or leaving a trace), or it was something 'unexplainable'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal