Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Does anyone know if there have ever been any 'wild' Gorillas ever reported in the US?
It would have to be an escapee from a zoo. The United States' climate and ecology could not support gorillas. Too cold and not enough food in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It would have to be an escapee from a zoo. The United States' climate and ecology could not support gorillas. Too cold and not enough food in most places.
Plenty of deer year round, Im not sure whether Gorillas could come to tolerate the cold over a long period of time?

I know in my neck of the woods, there used to be traveling circuses that came thru town every year, I could see some of these having gorillas that may have escaped and eventually learned to live in the area.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Plenty of deer year round, Im not sure whether Gorillas could come to tolerate the cold over a long period of time?

I know in my neck of the woods, there used to be traveling circuses that came thru town every year, I could see some of these having gorillas that may have escaped and eventually learned to live in the area.
They are primarily vegetarians: https://gorillafacts.org/what-do-mountain-gorillas-eat/. Since they are not familiar with our land they would probably die from starvation.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:04 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if there have ever been any 'wild' Gorillas ever reported in the US?

I have a feeling if someone was out in a rural or heavily forested area, and encountered a 'wild Gorilla'...it would very easy to mistake it for a Bigfoot.
Orangutans and chimpanzees in Florida (feral, escaped from captivity), but as far as I know no gorillas. Some suggest there may actually be a breeding population of chimps in FL - and that might be the source of the skunk ape reports down there. It's been suggested the well-known Myakka skunk ape photo in particular represents a feral orangutan, but it looks more like a mature male chimp to me.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I suspect Florida's about the only state where gorillas could make a living. They're tropical/subtropical animals.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I suspect Florida's about the only state where gorillas could make a living. They're tropical/subtropical animals.
Some people have speculated that the richer drug dealers could have private zoos with their money to burn. If they were caught they might give orders to release their animals and that could account for temporary sightings of exotic beast.

Here is a case in Ohio where a zoo owner that fell on hard times released his animals before committing suicide: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-himself.html. They killed or captured most of them except for one macaque monkey and I presume they caught up with it by this time.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:

I have a feeling if someone was out in a rural or heavily forested area, and encountered a 'wild Gorilla'...it would very easy to mistake it for a Bigfoot.
Quote:

I have no idea what the rules are on gorillas. Weirdly buying a lion or tiger is super easy. My aunts husbands brother had a HUGE male lion for a few years. He got it as a baby and lived a few blocks from me. Luckily the thing never got out before he got rid of it.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have no idea what the rules are on gorillas. Weirdly buying a lion or tiger is super easy. My aunts husbands brother had a HUGE male lion for a few years. He got it as a baby and lived a few blocks from me. Luckily the thing never got out before he got rid of it.
Fisheye wrote: "...Some people have speculated that the richer drug dealers could have private zoos with their money to burn...."

There's a market for exotic pets - and those like drug dealers who have a lot of money to burn would have no qualms about buying a poached gorilla or two and smuggling it into the country.

https://www.africangorilla.com/infor...illas-poached/

Old 02-20-2020, 01:01 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Anything goes in Florida.
No doubt in my mind whatsoever that there are primates running loose and possibly breeding.
I'm doubtful about a breeding population because you would need multiple individuals of the same breed and of both sexes and able to, and willing to, uh, "hook up".
But yeah, 100% there are some escaped or intentionally released primates running around.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Fisheye wrote: "...Some people have speculated that the richer drug dealers could have private zoos with their money to burn...."

There's a market for exotic pets - and those like drug dealers who have a lot of money to burn would have no qualms about buying a poached gorilla or two and smuggling it into the country.

https://www.africangorilla.com/infor...illas-poached/
The only problem with the 'wild gorilla' theory...if a human happened to accidentally walk onto the gorillas territory, it would respond with violence, (most bigfoot encounters, the creature is docile and just walks or runs away), a wild gorilla would not do that if a human was on its territory, they are extremely territorial.

Plus, gorillas do not really have long legs or 'big feet' either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal