U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM

17,755 posts, read 21,695,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Not having read the book Mark S. cited earlier, I'd venture a guess and say that most "werewolf" legends cite the supernatural, or some kind of witchcraft, as an origin for most Werewolf/Skinwalker myths.
It depends on the era and the region, but yes. I would say "mystical" rather than "supernatural," since it originally had a heavy religious element. But I'm just splitting semantic hairs.

In hunter/gatherer cultures where wolves were usually admired and respected, the werewolf was seen as beneficial, the heroes of the tribe.

But once humans turned into farmers, they mostly had a much lower opinion of wolves, and the werewolf started to be seen in a more malevolent light.

But really, 90% of what you think when you think "werewolf" is pure Hollywood, not myth and folklore.

You want to see a movie that gets shapeshifting right in terms of the folklore? It has to do with selkies, not werewolves, but this movie nails it:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 10:33 AM

691 posts, read 413,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You want to see a movie that gets shapeshifting right in terms of the folklore? It has to do with selkies, not werewolves, but this movie nails it:
Excellent! I haven't seen it, and I'm a John Sayles fan! I'll see it I can find it streaming this weekend!

--

Old 03-06-2020, 11:05 AM

3,504 posts, read 2,611,236 times
Quote:
So, I would say (not being a believer in Werewolves) that if you are going to believe that Werewolves exist, and that the human body undergoes that kind of transformation, you'd almost have to believe that that kind of transformational capability would have to be of supernatural origin. So it kind of misses the point to argue that the human body couldn't really do that.

Not having read the book Mark S. cited earlier, I'd venture a guess and say that most "werewolf" legends cite the supernatural, or some kind of witchcraft, as an origin for most Werewolf/Skinwalker myths. I know most Navajo Indians believe in "Skinwalkers," or humans who can turn into animals, and they think witches (and black magic) are the cause.

--
Do you believe theres a supernatural force that can change the human body? I dont. As far as witchcraft and black magic, I do believe that people can controlled to believe that its real, when in fact its all in their mind. (Although I sometimes wonder if someone has put a curse on me with some of the luck I have had)

Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM

691 posts, read 413,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Do you believe theres a supernatural force that can change the human body?
I haven't seen any evidence to support that contention. But then again, I can't say I've a believer in ANY supernatural force....so, there's that..... But I'm open to the possibility.....

--

Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM

14,744 posts, read 3,924,454 times
This is from NYC in 1911...
NEW YORK — No sign remained in the Broadway theater district the next morning following the scenes that were enacted there one night when a maddened beast charged up and down, spreading terror and consternation, causing handsomely gowned women to faint and strong men to leave their cocktails untouched and flee for safety. That lion with the burning tail that broke loose during the Coney Island fire last spring was a tame affair in comparison with the Broadway monster.

The beast is described in the police blotter as a large terrier, but it is evident that the police were anxious to minimise the seriousness of the panic. Hundreds of the witnesses will testify that the animal was at least eight feet tall its foaming mouth and wicked fangs were too terrible for description.

As they reached the alley-way, a tall hairy beast ran out onto Broadway and towards 40th Street. Neither patrolman could believe what they saw. An eight-foot tall wolf with human-like arms and legs, running with skill and speed down the middle of Broadway.

The beast was seen first at Broadway and Forty-second street. With a blood-curdling "Bow. wow!" it rushed up to a beautiful woman as her companion rushed to her assistance and fearlessly planted a kick in the monster’s hind-quarters. 'Ki yi' screamed the wild thing, as it tore off down Broadway. At Fortieth street, two boys, with the foolhardiness of youth, tried to seize the animal by its tail. The beast turned upon them and bayed horribly.

On to Thirty-ninth street, scattering pedestrians right and left, raced the great dog. If dog indeed it was. At the corner it emitted a whine that was even more terrifying than its growl and turned back the way it had come. As the beast ran back, Patrolmen McNamara and Dobbins drew their revolvers. Dobbins shot straight and true, and the monster keeled over in the gutter.

The police have offered no further statements.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is from NYC in 1911...
Source...?

Honestly, that reads like a bad penny dreadful.

With a blood-curdling "Bow. wow!" it rushed up to a beautiful woman as her companion rushed to her assistance and fearlessly planted a kick in the monster’s hind-quarters. 'Ki yi' screamed the wild thing, as it tore off down Broadway.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Excellent! I haven't seen it, and I'm a John Sayles fan! I'll see it I can find it streaming this weekend!
It was on Netflix ages ago. Not sure if it still is. But it is available on DVD.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Source...?
Found it. See page 2: http://news-archive.plymouthlibrary....1-12-29-PM.pdf

Note the subject header on that page? It reads SERIAL STORY. And the header over this "article" reads: TALES OF GOTHAM AND OTHER CITIES. "Story." "Tales." Meaning fiction.

It isn't a news article.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
In an hours time, I could mutilate my body enough to make you think Im crazy as hell too! But I don't think I could grow claws, more hair and a snout in that length of time. And I agree with whoever said it, an hour and noone took pics. Please. I may believe in Bigfoot, but a werewolf, nah!
Well, the one person that saw this, it was in the 1980s and they were young teens (no cell phones), the other was from the late 90s, early 2000s, (not many people had cell phones yet)...

and really, even if the one from New Orleans had taken a picture of this person kneeling on the ground, 'transforming'...a picture is not going to depict that, it would show a person kneeling, and if the quality was great, it may show some of the 'details' of the transformation...(but it would be just as easy to glue plastic claws to fingertips or some hair to the face, etc to fool the camera).

So a picture would be useless imo.

What has me re-thinking this, is EVERYTHING combined together...the old reports of this, all the Dogman reports, and the local report that happened here, if this was just a normal incident where 4 people thought they saw a 'monster' and a police report was created, that should be very easy to obtain and read at the city building, no crime was committed, so no ongoing investigation...and yet a higher agency takes the case over?

Do you understand what Im saying...this is not normal.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Source...?

Honestly, that reads like a bad penny dreadful.

With a blood-curdling "Bow. wow!" it rushed up to a beautiful woman as her companion rushed to her assistance and fearlessly planted a kick in the monster’s hind-quarters. 'Ki yi' screamed the wild thing, as it tore off down Broadway.
I guess you didnt read that part that stated the police tried to make this out to be just a 'big dog'...naturally they would use a bit of humor in doing that.

Read the description of what was seen...Do you honestly believe a person would walk up to it and kick it in its butt, or kids to grab its tail? Cmon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal