U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 12:50 PM

17,755 posts, read 21,695,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess you didnt read that part that stated the police tried to make this out to be just a 'big dog'...naturally they would use a bit of humor in doing that.

Read the description of what was seen...Do you honestly believe a person would walk up to it and kick it in its butt, or kids to grab its tail? Cmon!
I think you have mistaken a bit of early 20th century bad fiction as a news report.

See page 2: http://news-archive.plymouthlibrary....1-12-29-PM.pdf

Note the subject header on that page? It reads SERIAL STORY. And the header over this "article" reads: TALES OF GOTHAM AND OTHER CITIES. "Story." "Tales." Meaning fiction.

It isn't a news article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 01:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,609,049 times
All of this stuff is on the internet, so it must be true!! Have fun and stock up on silver bullets and dont go out during a full moon.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:34 PM

11,511 posts, read 10,896,045 times
Wrong John. Not on the internet. OnLy on TV.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:59 PM

14,737 posts, read 3,918,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think you have mistaken a bit of early 20th century bad fiction as a news report.

See page 2: http://news-archive.plymouthlibrary....1-12-29-PM.pdf

Note the subject header on that page? It reads SERIAL STORY. And the header over this "article" reads: TALES OF GOTHAM AND OTHER CITIES. "Story." "Tales." Meaning fiction.

It isn't a news article.
The header was from the 'phantoms and monsters' page. I dont think people called NYC Gotham in 1911.

Care to comment on the local bowling alley case from my city?

I would like to hear one plausible explanation for a couple things...why police would call in the sketch artist in a werewolf sighting...LOL, why a higher agency would take possession of such a case, (remember, NO crime was committed).

Old 03-07-2020, 07:57 AM

356 posts, read 92,187 times
[quote=rstevens62;57505115]The header was from the 'phantoms and monsters' page. I dont think people called NYC Gotham in 1911.

I would like to hear one plausible explanation for a couple things...why police would call in the sketch artist in a werewolf sighting...LOL, why a higher agency would take possession of such a case, (remember, NO crime was committed).[/QUOTE]

Could have been a slow night an they wanted to see what the 4 come up with for a description so the sketch artist was called in. Absolutely nobody has any proof it was turned over to a higher agency. Since there was no crime the worthless file could have been thrown in the garbage.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 AM

15,891 posts, read 12,688,358 times
[quote=sam812;57506436]
Quote:
The header was from the 'phantoms and monsters' page. I dont think people called NYC Gotham in 1911.

I would like to hear one plausible explanation for a couple things...why police would call in the sketch artist in a werewolf sighting...LOL, why a higher agency would take possession of such a case, (remember, NO crime was committed).[/QUOTE]

Could have been a slow night an they wanted to see what the 4 come up with for a description so the sketch artist was called in. Absolutely nobody has any proof it was turned over to a higher agency. Since there was no crime the worthless file could have been thrown in the garbage.
When driving a big rig the most police cars I ever saw was when a horse got hit in Massachusetts. Our police are curious just like we are curious. Maybe it happened around Halloween and they thought it would get some attention if people thought they were interested? Maybe their sketch artist was drunk? Who knows? What we do know is that we do not have anything except another story.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:54 AM

17,755 posts, read 21,695,364 times
Quote:
Yeah, they did. It's where the Batman comics got it from. See: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-called-gotham

Quote:
I don't know anything about it. Before I took it too seriously, I'd like to see more evidence than Internet hearsay.

Quote:
...why police would call in the sketch artist in a werewolf sighting...LOL, why a higher agency would take possession of such a case, (remember, NO crime was committed).
Do you have any credible evidence that any of that actually happened?

Old 03-07-2020, 09:31 AM

5,365 posts, read 8,358,650 times
Quote:
New York City has had a lot of nicknames. The Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, and even Gotham. The nickname Gotham or Gotham City (as applied to NYC) goes back to an 1807 magazine by Washington Irving who authored such classics as Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. The nickname Gotham was meant as a satirical jab at NYC. Gotham is the name of an English village that feigned being stupid or insane to discourage King John from building a Royal Highway through the village. King John wasn't well liked. Madness was believed to be contagious, so the road was built to avoid the village. Gotham means "Goat Home". It has a current population of about 1600 people.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/big-apple-gotham/

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gotham

https://streeteasy.com/blog/gotham-n...called-gotham/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham,_Nottinghamshire

Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM

14,737 posts, read 3,918,213 times
[quote=sam812;57506436]
Quote:

We do know it was turned over to a higher agency, my friend worked for the police dept, and her dad was a Lt. in this dept for 20yrs, both of them said, whenever a police report is 'not accessible to the public', its either because the investigation is ongoing or a higher agency has taken the case over, (so in this case, it happened in 2008, and since there was no crime, there would be no investigation).

Furthermore, they cannot just throw files in the garbage, this dept has police reports going back to the 1970s, that are accessible to the public on request, she has even found a few calls for 'bigfoot sightings' years ago.

In addition, the sighting report vanished from the internet a few years after it happened, (previously it was listed amongst all the other cryptid sighting reports from KY. The picture is the only thing that remains online, it is referred to as being connected to the 'Erlanger werewolf', but the details of the sighting are not online anymore, anywhere.

There are a handful of other sightings from KY over the years, (the details of the sightings are listed online numerous websites), however the Erlanger incident is the only one where a police report was made, and oddly this is the one that gets erased? LOL

Old 03-07-2020, 05:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 12,688,358 times
Your information is still hearsay. Where are the hard copies; the links to back all of this up? Your assumption is that friends never lie or that the police never lie or make mistakes. If we tell you that our government says there is no such thing; you say they are lying and covering up. You pick and choose what you want to believe. Wanting something to be real does not make it real.

You said you were going to do make some additional inquiries; how did they go? Do you have additional evidence to back up these claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal