Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 AM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Reputation: 14005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
On average I believe maybe about half of everything I read, I go with what my guy says for the most part.


You say their goal is to convince a very small number of enthusiasts, but how do they benefit from this...Im not buying any books, Tshirts or coffee mugs, if their goal is simply to trick someone else...that is pointless, the latest statistic I saw on people that believed Bigfoot existed..was around 11%.
If I'm following the thread right, you are asking about why would Expedition Bigfoot want to try and convince a very small number of enthusiasts, because they are selling a TV show!

I'm sure many non-believers, or ones on the fence, watch just for entertainment purposes, basically for a good laugh, but the true believers will eat this stuff up, I don't know what their ratings are. How many episodes are they up to over 2 seasons, 21 or so, I'm sure the people on the show can easily make $10,000 or more per episode, not a bad gig if you can get it.

If it doesn't make it to a 3rd season, take the money you made and move onto something else, maybe Expedition Chupacabra or Expedition Dogman, rinse and repeat.

If something is on TV, it is to make money, for the cast, crew, network, etc., plain and simple, it doesn't matter how crazy, off-the-wall, or utterly absurd it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2021, 09:13 AM
 
2,458 posts, read 1,724,315 times
Reputation: 5815
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If I'm following the thread right, you are asking about why would Expedition Bigfoot want to try and convince a very small number of enthusiasts, because they are selling a TV show!

I'm sure many non-believers, or ones on the fence, watch just for entertainment purposes, basically for a good laugh, but the true believers will eat this stuff up, I don't know what their ratings are. How many episodes are they up to over 2 seasons, 21 or so, I'm sure the people on the show can easily make $10,000 or more per episode, not a bad gig if you can get it.

If it doesn't make it to a 3rd season, take the money you made and move onto something else, maybe Expedition Chupacabra or Expedition Dogman, rinse and repeat.

If something is on TV, it is to make money, for the cast, crew, network, etc., plain and simple, it doesn't matter how crazy, off-the-wall, or utterly absurd it is.
You explain this stuff so much better that I do. ^THIS^ all day long. Yes, it is hilarious to watch these very obvious fake reality shows and do the same when people refer to them as factual or real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 AM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
You explain this stuff so much better that I do. ^THIS^ all day long. Yes, it is hilarious to watch these very obvious fake reality shows and do the same when people refer to them as factual or real.
Thanks Sam!

I have a cousin who has been in reality TV for 20 years now, he started off as a production assistant/camera operator and quickly moved up to supervising director or lead director and now producing.

He doesn't do these types of alien/ghost/supernatural/big foot shows, but you can click on the links below to see the various types of shows he worked on:

Mark Seliga
Executive Producer


Mark Seliga

He's basically freelance and jumps from show to show, sometimes only doing a few episodes here and there or he does the entire season or multiple entire seasons.

The stories he has about the reality TV industry are some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard about what really goes down making one of these types of shows and the types of people that are on them. I'm sure he might know people that have worked or work on these other alien/ghost/supernatural/bigfoot shows.

Next time I see my cousin, I'll have to ask him about these shows (alien/ghost/supernatural/bigfoot) and how fake and scripted they really are!

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-31-2021 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:38 AM
 
28,122 posts, read 12,716,492 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Thanks Sam!

I have a cousin who has been in reality TV for 20 years now, he started off as a production assistant/camera operator and quickly moved up to supervising director or lead director and now producing.

He doesn't do these types of alien/ghost/supernatural/big foot shows, but you can click on the links below to see the various types of shows he worked on:

Mark Seliga
Executive Producer


Mark Seliga

He's basically freelance and jumps from show to show, sometimes only doing a few episodes here and there or he does the entire season or multiple entire seasons.

The stories he has about the reality TV industry are some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard about what really goes down making one of these types of shows and the types of people that are on them. I'm sure he might know people that have worked or work on these other alien/ghost/supernatural/bigfoot shows.

Next time I see my cousin, I'll have to ask him about these shows (alien/ghost/supernatural/bigfoot) and how fake and scripted they really are!
If its true that only 11% of people believe in the existence of Bigfoot, have to wonder why TV networks would even bother producing 'searching for bigfoot' type reality shows?


Either that 11% figure is actually much higher or TV networks are creating shows that only a very small number of people will be interested in...which sounds more likely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:47 AM
 
2,458 posts, read 1,724,315 times
Reputation: 5815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If its true that only 11% of people believe in the existence of Bigfoot, have to wonder why TV networks would even bother producing 'searching for bigfoot' type reality shows?


Either that 11% figure is actually much higher or TV networks are creating shows that only a very small number of people will be interested in...which sounds more likely?
Or option C, most of the people watching them watch them as a comedy because they are that silly. It is the only reason I ever watch them. I watch a lot of reality shows that I know for a fact there is no reality in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:57 AM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Reputation: 14005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If its true that only 11% of people believe in the existence of Bigfoot, have to wonder why TV networks would even bother producing 'searching for bigfoot' type reality shows?


Either that 11% figure is actually much higher or TV networks are creating shows that only a very small number of people will be interested in...which sounds more likely?
It's ENTERTAINMENT, the same reason people LOVE watching all those Marvel movies, people know Iron Man, the Hulk, Captain America, etc. are not real, or watching professional wrestling, it takes their minds off of their everyday problems, issues and mundane lives and lets them escape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:58 AM
 
28,122 posts, read 12,716,492 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Or option C, most of the people watching them watch them as a comedy because they are that silly. It is the only reason I ever watch them. I watch a lot of reality shows that I know for a fact there is no reality in them.
IDK...I think many people that watch those shows, are on the fence (in regards to their belief)...they are hoping one of these shows hits the jackpot and proves it to the world.


Ive mentioned my dad before...he is a diehard skeptic...actually he is not even skeptical, HE DOES NOT believe any of these things exist, he wouldnt waste time watching any of these shows, (because he doesnt believe)...


Ive also asked him if he thought it possible, if he was out in the woods and saw what appeared to be 'something strange', is it possible he would misidentify a known animal...he said Absolutely NOT...why would he 'misidentify' a known animal for a cryptid...when he doesnt believe any cryptids exist in the first place...he said he would chalk it up to some known animal in a strange position or weird lighting, and that would be the end of it. Ive brought that up before...in order to 'misidentify'...the person must first believe the cryptid could exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 08:52 PM
 
Location: PRC
7,034 posts, read 6,959,509 times
Reputation: 6615
I really dont see the difference between watching something and thinking its (partially) real, and believing in Bigfoot - it is still the opposite of those who think there is no such thing as Bigfoot.

There will be a whole range of people who believe - from those who think it MIGHT exist to those who believe they have experienced one themselves.Then on the other side there are those who think it is all fantasy, hoaxes, make-believe like the tooth fairy. Whats the difference? It certainly doesn't hurt anyone by believing in Bigfoot or not believing in Bigfoot. So, if a TV show gets viewers because some think it is fun, some think it is real, then who cares? Do we only watch TV programs that are accurate and scientific now?

It seems to me there are a lot of people who are trying too hard to push the "it's not real" narrative, which puzzles me. It is easier to prove something does exist than prove it does not exist, and who cares if there is enough proof to convince the skeptics? Science will get there eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,774 posts, read 18,265,716 times
Reputation: 14786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I really dont see the difference between watching something and thinking its (partially) real, and believing in Bigfoot - it is still the opposite of those who think there is no such thing as Bigfoot.

There will be a whole range of people who believe - from those who think it MIGHT exist to those who believe they have experienced one themselves.Then on the other side there are those who think it is all fantasy, hoaxes, make-believe like the tooth fairy. Whats the difference? It certainly doesn't hurt anyone by believing in Bigfoot or not believing in Bigfoot. So, if a TV show gets viewers because some think it is fun, some think it is real, then who cares? Do we only watch TV programs that are accurate and scientific now?

It seems to me there are a lot of people who are trying too hard to push the "it's not real" narrative, which puzzles me. It is easier to prove something does exist than prove it does not exist, and who cares if there is enough proof to convince the skeptics? Science will get there eventually...
At one time I believed in most of this; but I grew up. Many of our children believe in Santa Clause at an early age, but they grow up. I am 74 and our world has changed since I was young. Science and technology has changed and our world is considerably smaller that it was back then. What you see, if you post it from your cellphone, the rest of the world can see instantly. There are also more cellphones than people, not like the one camera that P&G had to make that Holy Grail video.

Today it is not the skeptics that are trying too hard to push "it is not real". It is the believers that are failing tp produce evidence to support their claims! It isn't that science will eventually get there, it already has and it passed you by!

That said, I do agree that we do not know everything. What we don't know today, we will tomorrow. Just look at the innovation we experienced in my one short lifetime. The pace is not slowing down, if anything, it is speeding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 PM
 
Location: PRC
7,034 posts, read 6,959,509 times
Reputation: 6615
The point is IT DOESN'T MATTER if it is not real, or if people just watch the program because they want to. Stop trying to say you are all superior to those who think it is even 1% real. It just doesn't matter.

Or should I say WHY does it matter to you?

Its like "Oh poor ignorant peasants, they dont realise it is fake, but we know differently, dont we? We are educated, so we know haha."

If it is not that, they WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top