Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 05:05 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,190,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One of my friends tried to flip a couple houses years ago, when this became popular, She had dreams of selling for $80K more than she paid, and only putting $10K or so into it (yeah right! LOL)...

What we found in the houses was a lot of DIY 'rigging', shoddy work done quickly and wrong most of the time, and the problem with trying to clean all that up or give it a face lift, often you have to tear out the rigging and start over and correct what they did, BEFORE actually doing the upgrades. She only did 2 houses thankfully. it wasnt worth it in the end, too much labor and materials needed.
In the 1960s I worked for a man that owned over 500 houses. He had all the contacts to subs and suppliers to get the jobs done quickly and cheaply. Plus his wife was in real estate, so he had a heads up on all the deals. Maybe we do not have the same number of tycoon flippers today as years ago? But there are those with lots of experience and skills that new flippers must compete with. If somebody did not buy it, there could be a good reason why they did not buy the house.

When you look at the home renovation shows one has to keep in mind all the problems one can encounter today, especially with all the newer zoning laws and regulations. Sometimes the shows are renovating the homes 50, 100, years old, or older. Some had no insulation or poor insulation. Some had only 60-ampere service. some had no regulations on how they were built and just relied on the skill of the craftsmen. Also wood can rot in a very short time, not to mention insects and rodents or bats.

It sounds like your friend did not lose too much, but she did get a valuable education about home renovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 11:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,646,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In the 1960s I worked for a man that owned over 500 houses. He had all the contacts to subs and suppliers to get the jobs done quickly and cheaply. Plus his wife was in real estate, so he had a heads up on all the deals. Maybe we do not have the same number of tycoon flippers today as years ago? But there are those with lots of experience and skills that new flippers must compete with. If somebody did not buy it, there could be a good reason why they did not buy the house.

When you look at the home renovation shows one has to keep in mind all the problems one can encounter today, especially with all the newer zoning laws and regulations. Sometimes the shows are renovating the homes 50, 100, years old, or older. Some had no insulation or poor insulation. Some had only 60-ampere service. some had no regulations on how they were built and just relied on the skill of the craftsmen. Also wood can rot in a very short time, not to mention insects and rodents or bats.

It sounds like your friend did not lose too much, but she did get a valuable education about home renovation.
Oh yes, I agree about the older homes, Someone I know lives in a very old house, it was actually a generals home in the civil war, and also had some notorious cocaine cowboys living there in the 80s, (one of which who was gunned down by the Colombians in the house).

Ive done some minor work for them here and there and the basement is a nightmare, there is old electric service, old plumbing that was upgraded, but they left all the old in place, so trying to find which pipes/wires are which, is a real challenge. water cut off valves are almost non-existent, Ive tried replacing toilet supply lines, faucets, and its always tough to find the cut offs, most of the time, I had to turn the main off, and even that is very old, and doesnt stop the water completely, but its enough to swap out plumbing, if they ever needed it turned off completely, it would have to be done at the street. The main valve looks like its from the 1930s, its about 6" in dia and looks to be cast iron dial.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 631,172 times
Okay new here

I love this post! I've watched Expedition BF since the beginning, it's a love / hate thing lol.

All the points made here are super valid.

It is obviously superscripted and right on the edge of unwatchable because of it. Though not nearly as bad as Alaskan Bigfoot Killer, that show was just plain horrible and even I can't watch beyond 2 eps (that's saying a lot for me because I love the lore of cryptids).

I think the people in the show (except for the money man "leader") here are mostly honest in their belief of BF, though I imagine they compromise and dramatize for the show for the $$$.

As for the comments that eyewitness accounts are basically (confirmation) biased, or just really poor observations and misidentification of other animals or hobos (lol), I'm sure a lot of them are. But sometimes they interview really down to earth individuals that are experienced outdoorspeople or people who were diehard skeptics (hence no confirmation bias) and they know that what they saw was not a bear, wolf, coyote with mange, etc. It was something they cannot explain. In plain sight. In daylight, no blurs, not 400 yards away behind bushes.

They see a 9 foot huge hairy man standing there, smelling like a skunk (or something that died). Plain as day.

I can agree and dismiss probably 80 - 90% of many accounts. But the remaining accounts are just too hard to explain away.

A Sheriff, or police officer who is a skeptic has nothing to gain reporting that they saw a weird bipedal hairy man ape on the road that they were patrolling. Somebody who shows a practical, no nonsense, no bull**** attitude and states what he saw with no emotion on whether you believe him or not. I will at least think twice about the possibility when witnesses like these show up... and they do.

The way I see it is this... just because we don't understand it now with what we know now, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sure it could be explainable one day on why people are seeing what they are seeing, maybe there is no BF. But I consider it's equally as possible that there is a BF and we just don't understand the species or phenomenon.

I say keep an open mind (both ways). The ability to discuss our thoughts in a friendly, intelligent manner is always to way to advance our collective knowledge.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:27 AM

6,972 posts, read 6,901,297 times
They call themselves scientists yet they find a "nest" and take no samples. OK Russell took a long hair as a sample, but he has not taken any samples of the ground in the tunnel or the supposed footprints he has found. The other two just jokes. They mention the "nests" and then carry on doing nothing. Also, it is stupid to think walking around with a film crew in tow would not make a noise in the woods as well as bright lights being shone around. That scientist woman has sold her soul to the TV companies and lost all future credibility as a primatologist. Silly girl.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:49 AM

Lol. Like I said, way too much script and sometimes I wonder if the "nests" "whooping", etc is done by the producers or an extra grip with no other things to do.

The reality is that this is television, so all the producers want are viewers tuning in everytime. I suspect if nothing was scripted or "fabricated" once in awhile, then the typical show will be a bunch of ppl walking around a forest lol.

This show is like a Hollywood movie, where we watch and criticize all the illogical plot holes.

For me I'd like to know how much the people in the show are paid, if they are complicit in all the made up "evidence", or are they sincere and the producers are making all the "drama" to make the show watchable for the average viewer.

I think the BEST case scenario is maybe a You-Tuber BF enthusiast doing it, where there are no producers to tell them what to do. Granted a lot of the shows would be "nothing really happened", but at least it's honest, believable and if something happens it's 100x more pertinent and interesting.

And yeah, the nest thing is dumb. The new government conspiracy to buy up land because of the nests is super dumb. Once they start doing government conspiracy bull**** with zero evidence, I give them huge negative points.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:51 AM

Even Jane Goodall (spelling?) says she believes the big guy exists, and I can guarantee, she knows more about primates and Gorillas than anyone else on here.

The only reason our govt would conspire to keep Sasquatch a secret, was if they were connected in some way with UFOs, but like UFOs, the govt really doesnt have to do much to keep it secret, (the UFOs themselves take care of that), basically you are not going to experience one unless the UFOs want you to.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:47 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,329,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Even Jane Goodall (spelling?) says she believes the big guy exists, and I can guarantee, she knows more about primates and Gorillas than anyone else on here.

The only reason our govt would conspire to keep Sasquatch a secret, was if they were connected in some way with UFOs, but like UFOs, the govt really doesnt have to do much to keep it secret, (the UFOs themselves take care of that), basically you are not going to experience one unless the UFOs want you to.
I need to correct you on Jane Goodall and I have a huge amount of respect for her. She's open to the idea they exist, hopes they exist, has talked to witnesses that say they exist, and believes there's always a chance they exist. Does she say, they exist for certain, no she doesn't.

In her own words, "“I don't know. But I'm not going to say it doesn't exist and I'm not going to say people who believe in it are stupid.”

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/...about-bigfoot/

Old 05-27-2022, 11:05 AM

The fact that Jane Goodall says that she doesn't know is exactly my position too.

People are obviously observing something. Be it a real flesh and blood missing link, a multidimensional creature, an alien hiding in a gorilla suit (lol).

There are way too many sightings and experiences (all around the world too, Yeti's, etc) for it to be dismissed.

The fact that she says that believers are not stupid pretty much sums up her opinion that people should keep an open mind that BF can actually be real.

BTW, I kinda agree that the only reason the government would "conspire" to hide BF is if they were aliens. Think about it, if Roswell was real (or any other similar incidents) and they did capture alien technology, I doubt they would tell the general public. It would benefit them moreso to hide their findings. I'm pretty certain we only have smartphones because of the little green guys

Old 05-27-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I need to correct you on Jane Goodall and I have a huge amount of respect for her. She's open to the idea they exist, hopes they exist, has talked to witnesses that say they exist, and believes there's always a chance they exist. Does she say, they exist for certain, no she doesn't.

In her own words, "“I don't know. But I'm not going to say it doesn't exist and I'm not going to say people who believe in it are stupid.”

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/...about-bigfoot/
That is still a very significant statement for someone like her to make.

Look at all the skeptics on here, and the reasons they give for their disbelief...now look at Jane Goodall, (one of the top experts in this field) and she is making that kind of a statement?! That is a serious blow to skeptics imo.

Its strange that not more people do not seem to see the similarities with cryptids/bigfoot and UFOs? The similarities are many between the two, their behavior, only being seen by certain people, frequency, both have a long history of claims, etc,, even stranger, when the topic is cryptids, its not just Bigfoot sightings that are similar to UFOs, its pretty much all cryptids, whether its little gnomes, to 10ft werewolves, their antics/behavior is eerily similar.

If they are not connected in some way, that would be one huge coincidence.

Is it plausible that all these things is really just ONE thing itself, (that can disguise itself in many forms?)

Of course, Im thinking of the long history of these things though...where would this one thing get the idea for the forms it takes? (considering these things occurred long before motion pictures or any of that stuff made it all popular)...if this started AFTER the popular hollywood movies, that would make more sense, (this one thing got its ideas from our entertainment), if you had never seen a werewolf movie and someone asked you to describe such a thing...that would be tough to come up with a general description.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:11 AM

I agree, for someone like Goodall to chime in like that is amazing. Kudos for her to step up to the plate and having an open mind.

As for the link between BF and aliens, etc. That is relatively new to me (the last few yrs). I mean I guess it's possible?

For me I lean more towards a multidimensional being.

Heck for all we know we are all living in a complex experiment / matrix and eventually it will end :P

Maybe when we die, God will show us the answer and we will all say "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw okay I see".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal