Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Guns are another great thing for when the economy has a down turn. A bunch of idiots that have never owned one and have no business owning one go out and buy them. When the economy comes back around like it always does hunters/gun enthusiasts can buy them for pennies on the dollar. I have bought several that way in the past.
Exactly. It exactly brings up two issues:
1.) I am all pro-gun as it gets, having quite a collection that will probably get me labeled as a "gun nut". But with gun ownership comes responsibility. You have untrained idiots that ran out to get a gun for the first time, never having even handled one or fired one before. Not good!
2.) But lucky for me. All these idiots will be selling their unused guns and hoarded ammo when this is over, at bargain basement prices. Opportunity time! Very good!

Old 03-27-2020, 01:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why are there not runs on the banks right now? Maybe thats because everyone is under the impression the economy is going to be able to come back from this?

I withdrew everything my account this morning, except for the $5. required to hold the account open.
Have you ever heard of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation?

Old 03-27-2020, 04:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Have you ever heard of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation?
I feel bad for the guy. He's going to lose all the money in the world that he has with one simple disaster -theft, fire, maybe he will accidentally throw it out in the trash, some guys bury it in the backyard and find out a few months later it turned to worthless moldy paper that falls apart in the hands, you name it...all because he listened to some doom and gloom internet forecast.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There is no panic, there is no pandemonium. A relative handful of people overreacting and attempting to corner the toilet paper market does not constitute a panic.

Yes, there has been Coronavirus around for years, but like the flu it comes in different flavors; this one, properly called COVID-19 (because it began in 2019) is particularly contagious and therefore particularly dangerous. It also has a lengthy period of incubation during which it can be transmitted while the infected person experiences no symptoms and no idea they are spreading it.

Any source claiming it began in January is wrong; China was dealing with large numbers of cases in December which indicates the origin was even earlier. It was at the early stages that more action should have been taken to notify people of its existence and accelerate testing to identify those infected. Doctor Fauci calls this a failure. We are now also finding out that our systems to assure a supply of protective equipment have failed and an inadequate supply of ventilators may cause many patients that need them to not have access.

I don't understand why anyone would call this a hoax of any kind.
I've heard Oct/Nov '19

If that's true, then we'll be looking @ about what, 6 months (?) of lockdown before this thing finally turns the corner-- that is, if China isn't lying about "no new cases".

Ugh..

Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I've heard Oct/Nov '19

If that's true, then we'll be looking @ about what, 6 months (?) of lockdown before this thing finally turns the corner-- that is, if China isn't lying about "no new cases".
If it started in China in Oct/Nov, it's probable there were people infected with the virus traveling from China to Europe and the Americas in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan before the first case was identified here in the U.S. Also, we didn't start testing until fairly late so we don't know how many deaths due to respiratory problems in nursing homes etc were attributed to colds or the flu before testing ramped up recently. Which means we may be fairly well along the curve.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
To the question... yes. In fact I clicked earlier on a "poll" thread about whether or not people thought this virus response is an overreaction and though it had 25 responses at the time it is no longer on the website that I can find at least so it looks like any thoughts contrary to hair-on-fire scenarios are being scrubbed.

Last edited by amil23; 03-27-2020 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714
Also if they are all powerful and all-knowing, why aren't they reaching out with there almighty power and silencing your thread? At least disabling the "bold" feature -
In fact I am asking this here, oh powerful and knowing Bill Gates, as a mere obedient sheep - please disable this posters bold feature. I pledge allegiance to your Illuminati if you grant me this one wish.
In the last few pages, the usual deniers are being attracted to this thread like flies to a body. This thread is obviously getting too long and too many "truths" are being suggested by the conspiracy type(enemies of the state). Too many people are reading it, too much "Fake News" is being spread. Needs to be shut down, the word has gone out. It is the "Everything is fine here folks, move along" brigade has arrived. OK well, Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk
...Did it come from animals, perhaps. Though there is no proof it came directly from bats. It is 96% of a bat virus, but there is no proof a human got it from eating a bat or being bit by a bat. There was likely an animal carrier or two that caused the initial case(s). However we may and very likely will never know the total truth.
At the end of the the Contagion, the 2011 film at 1:40:00 it shows a possible scenario of a fruit bat eating a banana piece. It goes to roost and eat the banana in a pig shed and drops the piece of banana on the floor, where the pigs eat it. The pigs all go off to market. Thats it... virus tracked from bat to human. 'nuff said - it is that simple.

America has now overtaken China in the number of reported cases confirmed. Although, how is that known? As I understood there was a shortage of testing happening.

One of the results of all this, after the 'game' has run its course, after it is all over, will be a change to the gun laws and when there are fewer guns, then more control taken by the authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi
And no seriously; your flu shot should be waning & that means you are LESS likely to get sick from covid. When I say your shot is waning it means hope for your health, not the other way around.
It's true, the flu vaccine has been reported to make it easier to catch the CORV19 virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Wolves in Snow
My question is: Why this time? Why now when not in the past?
...And why isn't the media, that we are supposed to be listening to, according to some, not telling us the whole story? They throw out a lot of numbers, but they don't tell us everything.
Now is the time for the reset 'kill' switch to be thrown, thats why. You watch, you wont have to wait long.

Think of the TRILLIONS spent on defence and yet we cannot divert some of that money into buying masks, and equipment for medical staff testing and treating patients with this virus. THAT must surely say something to you about what it is all about. The sickos have not got their priorities right. They prefer war and control over human health.

It really doesn't matter where the money goes - on US military equipment spending or on medical supplies - it still goes into the economy and makes the economy stronger. Folks who worry about spending large amounts of money on the poor people who do not have medical insurance, need to bear this in mind. The money does not just disappear into a black hole.

Still, it is up to us to change all of that money going into war - if we want to.

Run on the banks? Well, in the UK, the banks and insurance companies changed their 'rules' or 'terms' quite a while ago so I guess this was all planned to be this way. They included a clause which said in exceptional circumstances, they can keep your money and do not have to pay out until the situation gets better.

I do not think the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation will help you since they will probably have something similar in the small print to limit their exposure.

So...PLEASE all check your bank and insurance small print. As an example, this was received in, I think, 2015 from AXA which is a very large insurance group.

OK, this is an insurance company, but I bet the banks as well have this kind of clause in their Terms and Conditions.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 03-27-2020 at 11:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 PM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I feel bad for the guy. He's going to lose all the money in the world that he has with one simple disaster -theft, fire, maybe he will accidentally throw it out in the trash, some guys bury it in the backyard and find out a few months later it turned to worthless moldy paper that falls apart in the hands, you name it...all because he listened to some doom and gloom internet forecast.
I would like to tell you a story about what can happen when you don't trust the government or the banks. My father believed that because the U.S. is no longer on the gold standard, the monetary system would collapse someday and that legal tender, which is no longer backed by gold, would become worthless. He thought that hoarding silver coins and buying gold was the solution.

For over 20 years he collected every silver coin he could get his hands on and amassed a collection of gold bars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. When he died, he left it all to my stepsister, with whom he was very close. She stored it in her house and considered it her retirement fund.

Then she went through a contentious divorce. She left her husband and moved into an apartment building, taking the gold and silver with her. One day she was standing on her balcony having a heated argument with her husband about the divorce settlement. She must have mentioned the gold, and someone must have overheard her, because a day or so later her apartment was robbed and almost all of the gold and silver was stolen except for a few silver coins.

Now my stepsister has nothing. She's 66 but is still working because she cannot afford to retire. All because my dad didn't trust the banks or the stock market.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,059 times
Wow thats very sad....... I am so sorry........

Old 03-27-2020, 11:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hey sorry to hear about your situation man. It sucks indeed.

The government is going to infuse the economy with funding which will help temporarily, but of course the solution is to get people back to work - and buying and spending. You've heard the president saying he wants to get people back to work by easter, and is meeting resistance. The idea is to "have the curve flatten out" - we are already seeing this in some states - Washington, etc. The current hot spot is NYC. We also saw this in other countries - China, Korea, etc. So I agree with the presidents plan, get some states and areas back to work with minimal risk, other areas will take longer - obviously New York City.
Some politicians and groups fighting the president's plan are more interested in lives. That's a commendable thought - but yeah, the actual cure might be worse then the end result. America needs to get back to work. And I think it will soon regardless.

The economy will be in a mess for a few years, recession, all that. But the economy has been there before.
Some companies will go under, others will have to totally redefine how they operate. But the economy will survive.

There are some that are predicting all this doom and gloom, conspiracy. Hey that's what you find on the internet, it's just the nature of the internet. The media doesn't help either. Just ride it out.
It may not even matter if people in the US get back to work soon though...have to remember, this is happening everywhere, its on a global scale...that WILL impact the US economy GREATLY.

Trumps plan for Easter was just foolish talk, NO ONE is giving any kind of time line yet, and they cannot, because there are only so many people being tested for it, (only so many testing kits available), to have a definite time line, everyone would have to be tested so they know exactly how many people have it and then isolate...that clearly is not going to happen, its not even practical, because there are not that many test kits in the first place.

Thankfully I found some work to do for my company that will last a little bit, and that will keep me working, but it wont last for months. Im just going to do the best I can and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal