U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 AM

115 posts, read 48,523 times

Advertisements

What is your take on the 'wet markets'? Will there be pressure inside China to close it down? Should it be closed down?
Since you mentioned that you "do think it is going to change the way we do things", can you please provide your perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Spoken like a true agency man!

Yes, even I do not think there is a conspiracy here in this event. But..I do think it is going to change the way we do things and a lot of people will be affected - either through loved ones dying, by the stock market taking a plunge, or by their business going downhill. Many people will lose their income and we will see how the people react and how the government reacts to that. I suspect it will mean the anti-gun crowd with have their way.

In other areas of China, and in large cities, we are not so badly affected as they were in the Wuhan areas. We had voluntary 14 days confinement if you had come back from abroad and we still have that now, although there are more people going out on the roads and more back at work than there were. The local community organizations keep an eye on who comes back from travelling abroad and who has to self-quarantine. So, things are slowly getting back towards normal, but I think there will be many changes which will never be the same again. Everyone wears masks and keeps their distance from others, we also wipe down with 70% alcohol, everything we bring into the house. Body temperatures are taken of everyone going into public spaces(parks) and the apartment compounds have restricted access to those who live there. So, it is not over for us yet.

The people here are used to following along with what the government say, and this might have saved many - I dont know, but looking at other countries the Chinese may have done it better than some other have. For example, the UK government has said they are not prepared for this number of people to be treated in hospitals and so they have to basically stick it out by themselves. There will be deaths, but do what British people do best - "grin and bear it." That, I think, is very brave and probably unprecedented for a government to say.

That view is a harsh reality because governments have to save the most people with the limited resources they have.

In a democratic society, that means the money you have from tax returns and other income. At some stage in the progression of this pandemic, the governments have to make a choice of who lives and who dies, who gets treated and who does not. This is what they do not want people to realize, that life is an economic choice, and that's why they keep the top-level CORV19 meetings secret behind closed doors.

Of course, there are political pressures too. Someone will accuse those who manage it of this and that, but it is not something we will ever be well prepared for. Why spend money on something which may never happen on your watch? What are they to do when they only have limited resources?

This thing is going to play out over an extended period of 6 months+ I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 AM

7,214 posts, read 12,987,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
BINGO! You can blame the media on that, not some government conspiracy, or alien invasion! My wife is a nurse, had to do some C19 training yesterday, She said in the training, they were told the C19 has been around in the US, and really world wide since last late October, early November, but it was just misdiagnosed as a bad cold.
It is a shame the media really cannot be counted on for accurate and factual information. Unfortunately they can be counted on for creating panic and hysteria. They definitely knew how to take this Virus, and turn it into the end of the world panic we have going on now. This current virus could have been handled much more calmly and professionally. What this Covid19 does do in the USA anyway, is bring to light how woefully unprepared for difficulties that a society may face. Such as an inadequate and unfair health care system, and workers with no sick leave benefits. Thats just to name a few. i also think this virus has been around longer than we are led to believe. I also believe there is more going on than Coronavirus.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 4,072,672 times
Latest info - the death rate is going down in South Korea as they do more testing. The true mortality rate appears to be between 0.3% and 0.65%:

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/c...timate-817752/

You get higher mortality rates when you sample mostly the sickest individuals (surprise, surprise).

This is comparable to the mortality rate during the 1968 Hong Kong Flu epidemic (under 0.5%):

The 1968 Hong Kong Flu

Everyone I know survived the Hong Kong Flu just fine. Reason for concern? Yes. But not a reason to panic or destroy the economy. By contrast, the mortality rate in the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic is estimated at 10% to 20%:

The 1918 Flu Pandemic (The Spanish Flu)

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but -- one has to wonder why the media (or whoever's prompting the media) are whipping everyone into a panic over this.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:17 AM

260 posts, read 62,079 times
Nothing more needs to be going on. Ask Italy. This ain't the flu. The evidence is abundantly clear at this point.

While I agree we are unprepared - in regard to sick leave - at the individual level, you aren't any more unprepared than you were last year. You either had money saved for a serious situation - or you didn't. That seems cold, for sure, but it's not like anyone just found out this month they have no sick leave. I don't either. I blame myself for not saving up sooner. I've known for 25 years I have no sick leave. I don't blame Clinton/Bush/Obama/Trump. I blame myself for not saving.

There is no amount of "calm handling" of this that would have changed the course of events.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 AM

15,254 posts, read 10,009,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
What is your take on the 'wet markets'? Will there be pressure inside China to close it down? Should it be closed down?
Since you mentioned that you "do think it is going to change the way we do things", can you please provide your perspective?
I don't think you should just shut it down, it needs to have better standards for handling any food. A virus or germ can become deadly from anywhere if it mutated and evolved. There are tons of Americans that hunt wild animals, any of those animals can contract a deadly virus we have never seen before.

Did you know that lyme disease is actually caused by humans? Deers and ticks often are not close to humans but because of human hunters and many animal activists that decided to move animals to different areas it allowed ticks to migrate to different states.

The best thing to do for wild game and animals in general is enforcing standards of handling the meats and animals. I know that someone is gonna mishandle them but there's no way to stop that completely.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:53 AM

17,965 posts, read 13,466,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak.
Good thinking, kidding - by way of China and Italy and Australia -- to get to the USA?No.

I believe if I were capable of coming up with a virus on purpose for the USA ---it would be easier
for a one RT plane ticket to spread it in NYC.
If you had the time and money then go all around the White House and let it fly.

So no. I don't believe it is a conspiracy.
Now did the Chinese Gov suppress that first MD's alerting of them?
Oh yeah.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 AM

115 posts, read 48,523 times
I beg to differ. There should be thoughtful and consequential actions. There have been 2 recent instances of pandemics, SARS in 2003 and now COVID-19, that both seem to have been originated from the 'wet markets' in China. The human loss and economic effect of allowing it to go on, is disastrous enough to call for action against the wet markets. And we live in a connected world today where people travel across borders in no time, spreading the viruses affecting the humankind negatively in matter of weeks. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think you should just shut it down, it needs to have better standards for handling any food. A virus or germ can become deadly from anywhere if it mutated and evolved. There are tons of Americans that hunt wild animals, any of those animals can contract a deadly virus we have never seen before.

Did you know that lyme disease is actually caused by humans? Deers and ticks often are not close to humans but because of human hunters and many animal activists that decided to move animals to different areas it allowed ticks to migrate to different states.

The best thing to do for wild game and animals in general is enforcing standards of handling the meats and animals. I know that someone is gonna mishandle them but there's no way to stop that completely.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 1,228,060 times
Quote:
I do admit, there seems to be a big difference between how its impacting China versus in the US, Im not sure on todays totals, but it hasnt been fatal for THAT many people in the US.
The mortality rate for people who catch it is 15 to 25 times higher than the flu. It probably will continue to increase the rate of infection for at least a couple of months, following the pattern it has taken in other countries. So far we really don't know anything because so few people are getting tested. Most likely many people have it without symptoms, but they can pass it to others. Limiting social interaction is the best that they know how to do. If everyone was exposed to it it could kill 10 million Americans. The Spanish flu in 1918 killed 600,000, less than 1% of the population.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:47 PM

17,965 posts, read 13,466,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The mortality rate for people who catch it is 15 to 25 times higher than the flu.
I know and agree and yet 45 million have had the flu - thousands upon thousands have died.

All stats online...

Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 PM

13,091 posts, read 5,425,057 times
Quote:
Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol

Anyone care to comment or add a theory?

Getting everyone to stock up and hunker down sounds like basic preparedness for a global calamity.

Maybe the wheels have been set in motion for an inevitable nuclear war or attack?

Or maybe an asteroid was detected hurtling towards earth with an impact by end of March?

Or maybe they know this is a biological attack and phase two is about to be released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or