Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times

Advertisements

My fathers first wife was killed by the flu in 1917 according to family tree book,his second wife my mother died of strep in 1935 with a 107 temp,they tried to save her with blood transfusions,sixteen pints of blood by sixteen people according to the news article I have.
In 1940 or so I had a burst appendix and was lucky,I got a shot of penicillum every 4 hours in the butt,saved my life I was told,probably would have saved my mothers life.
The interesting thing in book,covers 1812-1955 you can see various plagues by infants obituaries and other deaths and match them to history.

Last edited by DanBev; 03-17-2020 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 03-17-2020, 06:55 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Somewhat when events like this precede it
https://www.vigiliae.org/wuhan-a-cur...itary-meeting/

And the author of bioterrorism act has this to say (also see other interesting links)

https://www.activistpost.com/2020/02...ronavirus.html

Whether intentional, or accidental, the focus on what the resulting changes in behavior desired from the general public should be examined closely for the following:

1) Restricting individual rights (long term) - I have no problem with governmental actions for the good health of the populace, but am wary of the methods and legislation enabled to combat any incident / situation as they tend to increase and never get rescinded.
2) Burying non issue / incident relevant riders into emergency legislative actions to benefit an industry, provide self enrichment, crony capitalism boon doggles etc..

The reason being the mindset of the political leaders. To quote Rahm Emmanual "Never let a good crisis go to waste".

I do know better hygiene and protocols of cleanliness would be greatly appreciated by most everyone, so, If that was a goal, I'm all for it!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The Asian countries know how to wear a face mask! You look at Americans wearing face mask and none of us know how to wear one. Perhaps we feel uncomfortable wearing a mask?

In early January I had a chest infection and cough and went to the doctor's office. I wore a mask to prevent spreading the disease I had to other patients and health care professionals. But, even when sick, most of us do not wear a mask. Sometimes the receptionist will wear one at the doctor's office; but that is an exception to the rule.

It might just be because the Asians have very populated cities and that is how they learned to cope with disease and air pollution?
I see quite a few people thru out the day at work...I have seen VERY few wearing masks, maybe 1 out of every 500, its pretty surprising more people do not wear them.

I also noticed when I was Lowes the other day, they had a huge display of the whole body Tyveck suits on sale, they were around $30 a piece, included hood and face mask too, yet it looked like no one had even taken a single one off the display!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:44 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor
What is your take on the 'wet markets'? Will there be pressure inside China to close it down? Should it be closed down?
Since you mentioned that you "do think it is going to change the way we do things", can you please provide your perspective?
Life is different in China. There are government inspectors who go around inspecting markets, etc but...you have to remember China is a developing country and there are many many poor people who are trying everything to survive. You and I are probably fabulously wealthy compared to many people, so we cannot judge with the same 'eye'. There are also rumours that the animals from the bio lab in Wuhan were sold off to the market. That is as possible as anything else in China. I hope it is fake news. There is also a rumour that the virus was around earlier and the doctor who raised the alarm was not believed by his peers. That is definitely possible in ANY country I believe. Look at the witch hunts of 'quack' doctors in the USA who have been fully qualified and developed some useful non-drug remedies in the past.

Like others, I think this will allow governments to make changes (particularly USA, UK, Europe, etc) so that the legislation they wanted to bring in will now be easier to get approval. Gun laws(USA) in particular, ID cards perhaps(UK). For example, after 9/11 there were many security laws brought in which could be argued we dont need any longer or never needed then. Now they are with us forever perhaps. Scare the public and the government can 'offer' to protect them more. This is just additional controls which we dont need. This could be the impetus we need to change the way things work in government, in the financiala system, in the health care system, etc. We will see what it brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1
I also believe there is more going on than Coronavirus.
Possibly. It is a good diversion for anything the governments of the world want to slip under the radar. Keep an eye on the small short articles in the papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez
The mortality rate for people who catch it is 15 to 25 times higher than the flu.
Statistics can prove anything if you know how to present them. You could just present the percentage of deaths, or the actual numbers of deaths. Which will be more dramatic and which will back up your agenda better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62
I also noticed when I was Lowes the other day, they had a huge display of the whole body Tyveck suits on sale, they were around $30 a piece, included hood and face mask too, yet it looked like no one had even taken a single one off the display!
I would think something like a full body suit was something everyone should have in their emergency bag, but I guess you would need a trailer to take it anywhere if you had every item you wanted.

Bear in mind there is a lot of fake news and some people think it is funny to add to the panic. Be more careful to get your news from reliable sources and cross-check it if possible.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
However, now I am just becoming paranoid.

I have just thought of this - It could be to get most citizens to have "a vaccine against the Coronavirus". It would be mandatory of course, so that the virus does not spread...

What would be in that vaccine ? Could be anything. Absolutely anything.

And, we all know how good all governments are at testing stuff on their peoples, and how more and more control is coming down the line.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:21 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think you should just shut it down, it needs to have better standards for handling any food. A virus or germ can become deadly from anywhere if it mutated and evolved. There are tons of Americans that hunt wild animals, any of those animals can contract a deadly virus we have never seen before.

Did you know that lyme disease is actually caused by humans? Deers and ticks often are not close to humans but because of human hunters and many animal activists that decided to move animals to different areas it allowed ticks to migrate to different states.

The best thing to do for wild game and animals in general is enforcing standards of handling the meats and animals. I know that someone is gonna mishandle them but there's no way to stop that completely.
More ticks carrying Lyme disease are hosted by mice than by deer, even if they are known as deer ticks. No hunters and no activists have been moving mice. Your statement that the disease is caused by humans is ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
More ticks carrying Lyme disease are hosted by mice than by deer, even if they are known as deer ticks. No hunters and no activists have been moving mice. Your statement that the disease is caused by humans is ridiculous.
Maybe not deliberately.
It was caused, I think, by idiot humans eating things we
wouldn't dream of....and having them in crowded market places!
I'm no expert, tho!!

Old 03-18-2020, 05:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I see quite a few people thru out the day at work...I have seen VERY few wearing masks, maybe 1 out of every 500, its pretty surprising more people do not wear them.
No one in my town seems to be sneezing or even coughing!
I'm the only one with surgical gloves on so I don't touch my face. Works well!

PS -I read online the media and /or health care people did a bad thing saying, 'Don't wear a mask if you're healthy' -
cuz the public now distrusts them.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:49 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

What I said before is that we do not know how to wear a mask. I see pictures of people running around with the mask only half tied or their nose sticking out. We have not been programed to wear mask or how to properly use one.

I throw out maybe half a dozen or more Tyvek suits every night at work. They are a 'one use only' to usually go through an uncontrolled area. We also go through many surgical gloves, mask, booties, hairnets, beard covers - all the items that we think of necessary to protect us against a viral infection. It is one of my worries if we can continue to operate a critical industry when there is such a large demand on the items that are required to do our job.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:31 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The Asian countries know how to wear a face mask! You look at Americans wearing face mask and none of us know how to wear one. Perhaps we feel uncomfortable wearing a mask?
. . .
It might just be because the Asians have very populated cities and that is how they learned to cope with disease and air pollution?
The prevalence of face masks in Asia is a cultural thing, literally a hundred year old tradition. In Japan in particular it's tied to their strong tradition of social courtesy -- it's impolite to infect your fellow public transit passengers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal