Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 PM

15,635 posts, read 26,210,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, vaccines do not actually work on the virus itself. They train the immune system to recognize the virus and make antibodies to it which then attach to the virus and neutralize it so it can be eliminated before it can establish an infection.

Current coronavirus research is directed at using the whole virus or its spike protein.

As far as the lipid coat is concerned, you may be thinking about hand hygiene. Alcohol or soap and water disrupt the lipid coat.
I get this from my sister the nurse, and sometime she gets a little nursy on me. Most of the time she’s pretty good at doing nurse to English but not all the time. In short, I could’ve gotten it wrong.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:03 AM

18,768 posts, read 18,078,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, vaccines do not actually work on the virus itself. They train the immune system to recognize the virus and make antibodies to it which then attach to the virus and neutralize it so it can be eliminated before it can establish an infection.

Current coronavirus research is directed at using the whole virus or its spike protein.

As far as the lipid coat is concerned, you may be thinking about hand hygiene. Alcohol or soap and water disrupt the lipid coat.
There is one point our government leaves out of the discussion on disinfection and that is the dwell times. A dwell time is the time that we have to leave a contaminated surface 'wet' with the disinfecting agent. Here are dwell times for our disinfecting wipes and cleaners: https://cfpub.epa.gov/giwiz/disinfectants/index.cfm. You can see the times vary between the different disinfectants.

Many people think that simply spraying or a quick wipe will kill all the virus or bacteria and that is not always the case. Of course most are killed on contact; but to be 100% effective against these diseases you have to leave them wet for a specified period of time. That time is set by sampling/testing and environmental monitoring. Alcohol, while very effective against many of these organisms, dries quick and may not be as effective by itself as other disinfectants because of that quick dry time.

To many of us in the US all of this is new. Many do not know how to wear a face mask; which is obvious when you look at our news. It also makes it bad that it is an election year and nobody agrees on anything. We need leadership from both Parties that that seems to be missing when it comes to a united stand to fix our problems. Many on this forum love conspiracies. The biggest conspiracy right now comes from politicians that place our problems on the back burner only to promote their own issues.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:29 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,074,643 times
Well...so far we have focused on the virus itself. Argued about strains and variants, but mainly focused on the virus as if it is just random and has no purpose.

A lot of strange things have been going on with the planet - the weather, animal behavior, even human behavior...

Is it all tied together? I remember more than one person claiming - when Coronavirus first caught our attention - that the planet has had enough, and its doing a long overdue reset. At the time, I thought about it, and said, "Maybe..."

I am now watching a documentary presented by Michael Moore on YouTube. Its called, "Planet of the Humans" I'll put a link for anyone that is interested in spending an hour and 40 minutes watching it. I have been planning a beginning retirement that revolves around automobile travel using some solar to maintain a tech based lifestyle. I now find myself thinking about rethinking that plan.

My original plan used some solar panels and lithium-ion batteries to sustain a comfortable existence off-grid. Im now faced with doing what I want to do more primitively than first imagined. Heck, we all may end up with no choice one day than to return to a more intune with nature and primitive existence.

Anyway - here's the link. It's free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Im almost 48 minutes into it. It talks about how green energy doesn't really work. Even if you are able to generate enough power to do what you want, you still need an idling fossil fueled backup to kick in once the renewable energy fails...once the wind dies down...once the sun is blocked by clouds and weather... once there is more demand than the system ever could handle in the first place. Its interesting that on a much smaller scale, its just like a hybrid Toyota. The Toyota needs a fossil back up too, but for a hybrid it is more effective than an full out plug-in electric car, because at least that fossil fuel backup regenerates the batteries. The electric car is running off the same fossil based current that your electric company produces with nothing regenerated.

Then it covers what it takes to make the components of green energy. Like silicon. We all are told its made from sand. Turns out that sand is too impure, so we mine quartz and coal and cook it at close to 2000 degrees - releasing tons of carbon into the air and our water supply in the process - to produce our solar and computer components.

Then we go to how much nature is destroyed to place the solar mirrors and wind turbines - and the kicker, the destruction will last at least as long as anyone's lifetime, but that massive wind turbine and that solar mirror might last 27 years, or less.

Anyway, I'm at the point where it brings in uncontrolled population growth, and its unbridled and continuous demand for power. They talk about how every species that overpopulates eventually hits a wall, and is destroyed. Dinosaurs is one we can all quickly think of. Boom! Gone!

So here's where I bring it all back to the beginning. Perhaps the Earth is doing a reset, through this virus. Trying to control our population and destructiveness before we can completely destroy it?

I was raised to think of the Earth as a living entity all to itself. Why wouldn't it put the same effort into self-preservation as any other creature that lives upon it?

This virus has certainly put a dent in our worldwide population. Im not claiming to know if its done enough to save the planet or not, but Ive never seen anything like it in my lifetime, or my parents lifetime. My grandparents were alive for the Spanish Flu, but they were babies to little kids. It certainly qualifies as "strange" to me.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 07-05-2020 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-05-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is one point our government leaves out of the discussion on disinfection and that is the dwell times. A dwell time is the time that we have to leave a contaminated surface 'wet' with the disinfecting agent. Here are dwell times for our disinfecting wipes and cleaners: https://cfpub.epa.gov/giwiz/disinfectants/index.cfm. You can see the times vary between the different disinfectants.

Many people think that simply spraying or a quick wipe will kill all the virus or bacteria and that is not always the case. Of course most are killed on contact; but to be 100% effective against these diseases you have to leave them wet for a specified period of time. That time is set by sampling/testing and environmental monitoring. Alcohol, while very effective against many of these organisms, dries quick and may not be as effective by itself as other disinfectants because of that quick dry time.

To many of us in the US all of this is new. Many do not know how to wear a face mask; which is obvious when you look at our news. It also makes it bad that it is an election year and nobody agrees on anything. We need leadership from both Parties that that seems to be missing when it comes to a united stand to fix our problems. Many on this forum love conspiracies. The biggest conspiracy right now comes from politicians that place our problems on the back burner only to promote their own issues.
My hand sanitizer says to use enough to keep your hands wet for at least 15 seconds. And you must rub. Friction is an important part of the process, just as in hand washing.

But yes, my years of janitorial I got to sanitize a number of floors, and educated a number of residents. It doesn’t take much bleach to water solution to kill germs, but it does take time and maintaining a wet floor.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well...so far we have focused on the virus itself. Argued about strains and variants, but mainly focused on the virus as if it is just random and has no purpose.

A lot of strange things have been going on with the planet - the weather, animal behavior, even human behavior...

Is it all tied together? I remember more than one person claiming - when Coronavirus first caught our attention - that the planet has had enough, and its doing a long overdue reset. At the time, I thought about it, and said, "Maybe..."

I am now watching a documentary presented by Michael Moore on YouTube. Its called, "Planet of the Humans" I'll put a link for anyone that is interested in spending an hour and 40 minutes watching it. I have been planning a beginning retirement that revolves around automobile travel using some solar to maintain a tech based lifestyle. I now find myself thinking about rethinking that plan.

My original plan used some solar panels and lithium-ion batteries to sustain a comfortable existence off-grid. Im now faced with doing what I want to do more primitively than first imagined. Heck, we all may end up with no choice one day than to return to a more intune with nature and primitive existence.

Anyway - here's the link. It's free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Im almost 48 minutes into it. It talks about how green energy doesn't really work. Even if you are able to generate enough power to do what you want, you still need an idling fossil fueled backup to kick in once the renewable energy fails...once the wind dies down...once the sun is blocked by clouds and weather... once there is more demand than the system ever could handle in the first place. Its interesting that on a much smaller scale, its just like a hybrid Toyota. The Toyota needs a fossil back up too, but for a hybrid it is more effective than an full out plug-in electric car, because at least that fossil fuel backup regenerates the batteries. The electric car is running off the same fossil based current that your electric company produces with nothing regenerated.

Then it covers what it takes to make the components of green energy. Like silicon. We all are told its made from sand. Turns out that sand is too impure, so we mine quartz and coal and cook it at close to 2000 degrees - releasing tons of carbon into the air and our water supply in the process - to produce our solar and computer components.

Then we go to how much nature is destroyed to place the solar mirrors and wind turbines - and the kicker, the destruction will last at least as long as anyone's lifetime, but that massive wind turbine and that solar mirror might last 27 years, or less.

Anyway, I'm at the point where it brings in uncontrolled population growth, and its unbridled and continuous demand for power. They talk about how every species that overpopulates eventually hits a wall, and is destroyed. Dinosaurs is one we can all quickly think of. Boom! Gone!

So here's where I bring it all back to the beginning. Perhaps the Earth is doing a reset, through this virus. Trying to control our population and destructiveness before we can completely destroy it?

I was raised to think of the Earth as a living entity all to itself. Why wouldn't it put the same effort into self-preservation as any other creature that lives upon it?

This virus has certainly put a dent in our worldwide population. Im not claiming to know if its done enough to save the planet or not, but Ive never seen anything like it in my lifetime, or my parents lifetime. My grandparents were alive for the Spanish Flu, but they were babies to little kids. It certainly qualifies as "strange" to me.
It’s not a reset. The Black Death of the mid 1300’s ended feudalism. Killed one third of the population, had a 60% mortality rate.

That’s a reset.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It’s not a reset. The Black Death of the mid 1300’s ended feudalism. Killed one third of the population, had a 60% mortality rate.

That’s a reset.
Well, that's easy to say looking at the Black Plague from the view point of 2020. We aren't out of the woods with COVID, and we also have yet to see what the new H1N1 is going to do.

The new G4 swine flu strain is genetically descended from the H1N1 strain that caused a pandemic in 2009, according to the study, which was authored by scientists at Chinese universities and the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

G4 was observed to be highly infectious, they said, replicating in human cells and causing more serious symptoms in ferrets than other viruses. Researchers took 30,000 nasal swabs from slaughterhouse pigs in 10 Chinese provinces, allowing them to isolate 179 swine flu viruses.

And how soon it will be before yet another new virus emerges from China - or elsewhere.

Do you think we can continue to abuse the planet and even be mislead into thinking going green is going to save our planet - at least the way big business has it laid out for us to go green?

Even I know that if we cut down most of the trees on the planet, while loading up the atmosphere with carbon, we wont have air to breathe. Maybe COVID has us in training for permanent oxygen masks? We have been told from the get go that we have to get use to wearing them.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 07-05-2020 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-05-2020, 11:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,544,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm not suspicious about this virus; they happen in nature all the time. Science will eventually give us much more info than we have now as far as the origin(s), spread and cure/vaccine. In the meantime I will not be sucked under by the whirlpool of ridiculous conspiracy theories, like the one about the Event 201 planning conference.

Event 201 was just a typical exercise like the war-games we used to do when I worked for the Army. There were various conferences every year as they played various scenarios to figure out how to respond, be it a Soviet invasion of western Europe, general war in Asia or the Middle East or major national disaster. We did what-if drills and we practiced shipping troops and equipment to war game locations. This is all part and parcel of planning.

The Pentagon has the DUTY to consider threats to national security and plan how we would respond. These threat assessments are done for such events as pandemics, biological and chemical attacks as well as the more common military and economic threats. Pandemics are a recognized threat and we had a plan on the shelf, and people on-staff, for just such an event. Trump fired those people and disregarded OUR own plan.

FEMA does the same thing as they perform what-if scenarios around how a major hurricane or flood or volcanic eruption or earthquake will affect a certain region. The outcomes of these "war games" is to see what they need, how much they need it, where they need it, and then go and put the stuff into storage.

I'm afraid that some people see a conspiracy behind every shrub which sets their minds running wild and no matter how much common sense we try to pass on to them they just reject it and keep on panicking.

If there's a conspiracy here it's an accidental one, a conspiracy of dunces in the Trump White House.

There is no conspiracy to inflict a deadly virus on the world, or any part of it. Period.
I wonder if the Native Americans thought this way too, when the first European settlers came to their land?!

Why would they want to kill us off?

Scary!

The fact is, you do not know if there is any such 'conspiracy', there are numerous bio weapons R&D labs all over the world, in almost every country, they are all striving to create the perfect bio weapon!

We also have 'Psy warfare' divisions among the armed forces too.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:20 PM
SFX

1,626 posts, read 880,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
This virus has certainly put a dent in our worldwide population.
Around 70 million new people have been born so far this year. (all figure estimates)

https://ourworldindata.org/births-and-deaths

Normally 27 million died in the same time period. Add around 500,000 Covid deaths.

Not much of a dent. But you never can tell.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Around 70 million new people have been born so far this year. (all figure estimates)

https://ourworldindata.org/births-and-deaths

Normally 27 million died in the same time period. Add around 500,000 Covid deaths.

Not much of a dent. But you never can tell.
Thank you.

Its amazing how stressed I saw my local healthcare system become then to look at the worldwide death toll and realize that, at least as far as doing anything toward controlling population growth and the demands that population places on the planet, Covid-19 really hasn't done much.

I mean, my God, we didn't even have a stockpile of enough toilet paper, lol.

Don't get me wrong, 500K is a lot of people to die. I don't want to diminish that loss for anyone on a personal level. But considering that we still have a total world wide death toll that is less than half of the worldwide birth rate, its really showing that the virus hasn't done much - at least not yet.

We still haven't seen what G4 is going to do, and if anything new will pop up a few months after G4. We also don't know if the L form of Covid will rear its infectious head again sometime in our future. Seems strange that something touted to be 'superior' to the pandemic's S form seems to disappear into obscurity.

Yeah, you never can tell.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,043,290 times
For those who are naive to the state of coronavirus research in early 2020, this comprehensive review of the early work done to study the origin and transmission of SARS1 (2003) will be instrumental in informing and inspiring any line of research questioning:

https://t.co/iR99Aiw7cm?amp=1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vid-19-origins

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...aled-l5vxt7jqp

Last edited by JG183; 07-06-2020 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.