Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 10:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I Have a LOT of family in China. It is a serious virus that really does kill people. The problem is it spreads very easily. My wife talked to her parents last night and things are finally starting to get back to normal there.
I do admit, there seems to be a big difference between how its impacting China versus in the US, Im not sure on todays totals, but it hasnt been fatal for THAT many people in the US.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do admit, there seems to be a big difference between how its impacting China versus in the US, Im not sure on todays totals, but it hasnt been fatal for THAT many people in the US.
The map of the spread is scary: https://www.bing.com/search?q=corona...lvar=0&PC=NMTS. You click on the infected countries and they tell you how many dead and how many 'recovered'. Of course you are using their statistics. In China it looks like a 4% death toll if you divide the number dead by the number recovered. If you do that to Iran you get an 18% death toll.

But there is a problem with any calculation like what is the criteria for recovered? We do know that this can damage the organs. So is it possible that people die after they have recovered from organ damage?

On a positive note, when you go to the CDCs web site and look at the number of new cases ( https://www.bing.com/search?q=corona...lvar=0&PC=NMTS) they appear to be going down since the beginning of this month. So, hopefully, the steps we have taken are helping?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:55 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.

I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.

Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?

I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.

Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol

Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
Oh viruses mutate, or they die. In the 1500s, there was a sickness going around England called the sweating sickness. You’d get chills in delirium and then you’d get hot hot hot and sweaty and then die within a matter of hours. There’s lots of theories as to what this is but it died out in 1558 after being around for about 100 years it was gone. To me that’s a clear indication that the people developed a resistance to whatever that was, and since for whatever reason the virus could not mutate it’s simply ceased to be.

Viruses have been around forever. The black death in the 1300s took 2/3 of Europe. When it came back around in the 1600s it didn’t take as many. Researchers discovered about 20 years ago that there was a gene mutation on a certain gene in the DNA. That made those people resistant to the plague. It’s also been used in HIV research. Do you remember the guy that had a bone marrow transplant and it cured his HIV? This was why his donor carried that gene. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-hiv-54468/amp

Coronaviruses are not new. This specific coronavirus is new. As such we don’t know a lot about it. And that’s the issue. That’s how science works. We know what we know, and we don’t know what we don’t know but there are things that we can surmise. The one thing we do know is that it appears to be showing a very high death rate in our older infirm people. One of the charts that I’ve seen is saying almost 15% of the people who are in their 80s and above will not survive this. That’s a big number.

Also the fact that this is normal cold and flu season, and in some parts of the country allergy season, there’s a lot of concern and fear. And in our economy telling people to stay home and not go out is messing with the economy. That sounds pretty normal to me.

This is not some sort of covert operation. It’s nature.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Post I'm not suspicious of the disease, just the reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You click on the infected countries and they tell you how many dead and how many 'recovered'. Of course you are using their statistics. In China it looks like a 4% death toll if you divide the number dead by the number recovered. If you do that to Iran you get an 18% death toll.
One problem with all these statistics is we don't know how many unreported mild cases there were, where people recovered without ever going in for testing. How many Americans got the flu this past winter or last year, and just stayed home and cooked chicken noodle soup?

Meanwhile Germany has an unusually low death rate compared to their total number of reported COVID-19 infections.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
One problem with all these statistics is we don't know how many unreported mild cases there were, where people recovered without ever going in for testing. How many Americans got the flu this past winter or last year, and just stayed home and cooked chicken noodle soup?

Meanwhile Germany has an unusually low death rate compared to their total number of reported COVID-19 infections.
We just really started testing in the US. So I am sure that we have had many cases that went unreported. Somebody could give it to another person and, as long as it was a mild case, nobody suspected the virus.

I have always been disappointed with our health system that we did not do a better job testing. For years they have scolded us for taking too many antibiotics. Then we go to them with an infection, they don't test to see exactly what that infection is, and they prescribe more antibiotics!

That link has all the statistics from around the world. It is interesting to see which countries are faring the best. The reason is if any one country was responsible for introducing this new virus; maybe they had quietly immunized their population against it or built it to attack certain characteristics that other countries had and they did not? So far it does not look like that is the case; but time will tell as this disease progresses.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times
This thing went from like 0 to 11 like overnight.
That's what's weird to me. It's been lingering around in the background for months and then BAM! mass hysteria.

Seems alotta misinformation going around as well. Like oh it's no big deal unless you are old or already health compromised. And then it's like oh how dare you make light of this! It's killing everyone we're all gonna die!
IDK.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
this thing went from like 0 to 11 like overnight.
That's what's weird to me. It's been lingering around in the background for months and then bam! Mass hysteria.

Seems alotta misinformation going around as well. Like oh it's no big deal unless you are old or already health compromised. And then it's like oh how dare you make light of this! It's killing everyone we're all gonna die!
Idk.
+1.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.

I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.

Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?

I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.

Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol

Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
What you are experiencing locally is inertia. People continue with routines until forced to alter them, and even then some will continue on as they have for years. The psych experiments of random reward and ritualistic behavior have shown that effect for years.

As for any U.S. conspiracy? Feh. I've had webcam views from around the world for years. The abandonment of St. Peter's Square alone is an obvious marker of international response, outside of media hype. This is not a U.S. problem, it is a global problem.

Historically, pandemics were largely local affairs or slow moving. Populations were isolated and travel to some locations extremely difficult. It was part of the way humanity survived, even while entire local civilizations disappeared. This is the first true globalization era pandemic. The scale of it is simply a byproduct of humanity trying to reach its single civilization into all parts of the globe.

The current scenario is one of the reasons why sci-fi authors and futurists were clamoring for years about colonizing other worlds. The New World of the Americas is no longer a month long ship journey from Europe. Australia is no longer unknown to the people of the Asia.

Even a single percent of a global population severely ill is a huge number, one that could easily overwhelm all standard health system responses. If up to 20% of those ill with this virus require medical intervention, and 40% of the population get it, the numbers become staggering as the infection rate progresses. Hope that it mutates into a less deadly form, hope that the ill don't all get ill at the same time.

Conspiracy? Governments and businesses have been operating on margin and credit and with "just in time" and short term profit mentalities for so long that there is little depth or resilience within their structures. If you want to claim conspiracy, that is about as close as you'll get in reality. It is a conspiracy of lack of foresight, in the pursuit of racing to the top and winning over others.

In wars, human lives are expendable. Fighting this disease into some sort of submission is, as the French PM said, a war. Typhoid Mary was imprisoned, you don't even want to know how some past civilizations dealt with such diseases and people who spread them. Responses around the globe so far are measured, even though they might appear draconian in the local inertia of the moment.

Know that the disease takes aim at the most social. It takes aim at the leaders of government and business who depend upon close ties and relations to exert control. The fear and concern at the top is real and personal, as the traits that make leaders also put them at risk, as does their age.

Pandemics such as this are and have been inevitable. They are part of nature. They are part of the game of life.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:03 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
Three can keep a secret, but only if two of them are dead.
Spoken like a true agency man!

Yes, even I do not think there is a conspiracy here in this event. But..I do think it is going to change the way we do things and a lot of people will be affected - either through loved ones dying, by the stock market taking a plunge, or by their business going downhill. Many people will lose their income and we will see how the people react and how the government reacts to that. I suspect it will mean the anti-gun crowd with have their way.

In other areas of China, and in large cities, we are not so badly affected as they were in the Wuhan areas. We had voluntary 14 days confinement if you had come back from abroad and we still have that now, although there are more people going out on the roads and more back at work than there were. The local community organizations keep an eye on who comes back from travelling abroad and who has to self-quarantine. So, things are slowly getting back towards normal, but I think there will be many changes which will never be the same again. Everyone wears masks and keeps their distance from others, we also wipe down with 70% alcohol, everything we bring into the house. Body temperatures are taken of everyone going into public spaces(parks) and the apartment compounds have restricted access to those who live there. So, it is not over for us yet.

The people here are used to following along with what the government say, and this might have saved many - I dont know, but looking at other countries the Chinese may have done it better than some other have. For example, the UK government has said they are not prepared for this number of people to be treated in hospitals and so they have to basically stick it out by themselves. There will be deaths, but do what British people do best - "grin and bear it." That, I think, is very brave and probably unprecedented for a government to say.

That view is a harsh reality because governments have to save the most people with the limited resources they have.

In a democratic society, that means the money you have from tax returns and other income. At some stage in the progression of this pandemic, the governments have to make a choice of who lives and who dies, who gets treated and who does not. This is what they do not want people to realize, that life is an economic choice, and that's why they keep the top-level CORV19 meetings secret behind closed doors.

Of course, there are political pressures too. Someone will accuse those who manage it of this and that, but it is not something we will ever be well prepared for. Why spend money on something which may never happen on your watch? What are they to do when they only have limited resources?

This thing is going to play out over an extended period of 6 months+ I guess.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:21 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This thing went from like 0 to 11 like overnight.
That's what's weird to me. It's been lingering around in the background for months and then BAM! mass hysteria.

IDK.
BINGO! You can blame the media on that, not some government conspiracy, or alien invasion! My wife is a nurse, had to do some C19 training yesterday, She said in the training, they were told the C19 has been around in the US, and really world wide since last late October, early November, but it was just misdiagnosed as a bad cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal