Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 07:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter where viruses originate, what matters is being able to find them and then eradicate them before they can mutate or attach onto hosts. Some people such as Bill Gates has been work on getting all harmful viruses discovered so we can prepare for a cure before it infects animals and humans.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.

I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.

Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?

I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.

Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol

Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
My theory is you are either clueless to what is going on or can't face reality!

Not sure where you live, maybe a small town? But most of the U.S. has many confirmed cases and this is only the beginning! Schools here are closed for at least a month, all stores are closed except grocery stores, all restaurants are closed and most are working remotely. I'm 35 miles from Chicago, btw.

The problem is that people are not taking this virus seriously and going about like it's no big deal and that is what will contribute to more cases and deaths as people can have this virus and spread it up to 14 days before they show symptoms. It's not isolated, it's global!!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My theory is you are either clueless to what is going on or can't face reality!

Not sure where you live, maybe a small town? But most of the U.S. has many confirmed cases and this is only the beginning! Schools here are closed for at least a month, all stores are closed except grocery stores, all restaurants are closed and most are working remotely. I'm 35 miles from Chicago, btw.

The problem is that people are not taking this virus seriously and going about like it's no big deal and that is what will contribute to more cases and deaths as people can have this virus and spread it up to 14 days before they show symptoms. It's not isolated, it's global!!
I live about 9 miles outside of Cincinnati, OH, ( I actually live in Northern KY), right across the border from OH.

I was out working today and my saw everything I posted in the earlier post! You would not believe how busy our stores have been this week, (large chain gas station/convenience store), I walked into my first store today, there were 15+ people waiting in line for the cashier, many had coffees, sodas, drinks, etc. I could not believe these people didnt mind being so close to one another!

Most of the restaurants are still operating, but only drive thru or take out, again, driving past McDs, KFC, Taco bell, lots of cars in the parking lots, lots in the drive thrus, I also drove past other gas stations and convenience stores, they were just as busy as we are!

Whats strange about it, people can pay at the pump for gas, they dont actually have to come in the store, but Im guessing the stores want to keep their doors open, so they can continue selling sodas, coffee, candy, snacks, cigarettes, beer, etc.

One of our stores is right off I-75 expressway, and since all the rest stops are closed people are stopping in our store to use the bathroom, when I walked into this store, there was a waiting line of about 20 people to use the bathroom, people were standing about a ft away from each other!!! Its like they were oblivious to it, many even had their kids with them in line. LOL

I had to stop by Target on the way home, here too, they were fairly busy, about like a sunday evening. Like I said in the other post, around here, its hard to tell anything is going on, there is slightly less traffic on the roads, thats about the only big difference Ive noticed.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
I live about 9 miles outside of Cincinnati, OH, ( I actually live in Northern KY), right across the border from OH.

I was out working today and my saw everything I posted in the earlier post! You would not believe how busy our stores have been this week, (large chain gas station/convenience store), I walked into my first store today, there were 15+ people waiting in line for the cashier, many had coffees, sodas, drinks, etc. I could not believe these people didnt mind being so close to one another!

Most of the restaurants are still operating, but only drive thru or take out, again, driving past McDs, KFC, Taco bell, lots of cars in the parking lots, lots in the drive thrus, I also drove past other gas stations and convenience stores, they were just as busy as we are!

Whats strange about it, people can pay at the pump for gas, they dont actually have to come in the store, but Im guessing the stores want to keep their doors open, so they can continue selling sodas, coffee, candy, snacks, cigarettes, beer, etc.

One of our stores is right off I-75 expressway, and since all the rest stops are closed people are stopping in our store to use the bathroom, when I walked into this store, there was a waiting line of about 20 people to use the bathroom, people were standing about a ft away from each other!!! Its like they were oblivious to it, many even had their kids with them in line. LOL

I had to stop by Target on the way home, here too, they were fairly busy, about like a sunday evening. Like I said in the other post, around here, its hard to tell anything is going on, there is slightly less traffic on the roads, thats about the only big difference Ive noticed.
This is what has been happening in your State and it doesn't sound as if it is 'business as usual': https://governor.ky.gov/covid19. It does look like the virus is just getting started and that might give one the appearance that you have no problems: https://govstatus.egov.com/kycovid19.

When you look at the world map of the corona virus (https://www.bing.com/search?q=world+...lvar=0&PC=NMTS) and have been following its progression from day to day; it is only a matter of time until the reality hits.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is what has been happening in your State and it doesn't sound as if it is 'business as usual': https://governor.ky.gov/covid19. It does look like the virus is just getting started and that might give one the appearance that you have no problems: https://govstatus.egov.com/kycovid19.

When you look at the world map of the corona virus (https://www.bing.com/search?q=world+...lvar=0&PC=NMTS) and have been following its progression from day to day; it is only a matter of time until the reality hits.
Well, I know for a fact our stores are NOT complying with the 6ft social distancing rule, all the stores I was in yesterday had long lines for the cashier, people were standing less than 1ft from each other, and this was all day long, LOTS of people coming and going thru out the day...that is VERY dangerous.

Imo, they should make people pay at the pump for gas, so there is no need to come inside (but then, the stores would loose money on soda, snacks, beer, cigarettes, etc sales), so they are not about to do that.

My job would not be impacted, even if the stores closed, I would still have to visit different stores every day, ( I have a master key though).

Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It doesn't matter where viruses originate, what matters is being able to find them and then eradicate them before they can mutate or attach onto hosts. Some people such as Bill Gates has been work on getting all harmful viruses discovered so we can prepare for a cure before it infects animals and humans.
It is impossible for anyone (even a Bill Gates with tons of money to throw at the problem) to discover "all harmful viruses" that cause pandemics because of antigenic shift in the viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm

Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:

The drawback of shutting so many things down is that the things that are open are crowded with long lines! I'm not sure we are accomplishing what we really want by concentrating economic activity in fewer and denser points of contact.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Well, I know for a fact our stores are NOT complying with the 6ft social distancing rule, all the stores I was in yesterday had long lines for the cashier, people were standing less than 1ft from each other, and this was all day long, LOTS of people coming and going thru out the day...that is VERY dangerous.

Imo, they should make people pay at the pump for gas, so there is no need to come inside (but then, the stores would loose money on soda, snacks, beer, cigarettes, etc sales), so they are not about to do that.

My job would not be impacted, even if the stores closed, I would still have to visit different stores every day, ( I have a master key though).
I went to one of our larger grocery stores this morning at 6:00. It was out of fresh meat, fresh seafood, paper products, and cleaning supplies. Plus many of the other isles had limited supplies; like butter that had only about a dozen one pound boxes. I know that many people are hoarding; but the lack of supplies is troubling to say the least. It is amazing how fast our system has changed.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Things are not normal here. Nobody can buy toilet paper anywhere and the stores are out of other things, too, like chicken, celery, onions, bread, flour, water (most here have a well and cannot or do not drink the tap water). Churches are closed. Schools are, of course, closed. Some beaches are closed; they all should be, of course.

But no, it's not a worldwide conspiracy, OP. We have family in Europe and they are confirming everything you're hearing on the news. This is not a drill.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I don't prescribe to the doom and gloom forecasts. Obviously this reaction is unprecedented - the entire world is essentially shut down. However essentials remain - supply chain is intact, utilities remain, etc. The biggest impact frankly is financial not lethal. To control the virus we are essentially destroying the economy. If it saves lives, I'm on board. The virus itself will increase for a few more months, flatten out, then decrease...as it has in China. But finanically, it might take years to recover.

Back to topic - no suspicion of the outbreak. Yeah, China likes it's wet markets. I go to China all the time (not in the last few months obviously, but at least yearly). I've seen them in downtown Shanghai. As modern as it is, they are like the Beverly Hillbillies, faced with prosperity - cell phones and lexus all around, and they still crap in the street. Someone bought a live bat or something crazy at these markets and ate it - boom - coronavirus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal