U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 PM
 
15,166 posts, read 4,038,019 times
Reputation: 9697

Advertisements

I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.


I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.


Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?


I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.


Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol


Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2020, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Gray Court, SC
3,539 posts, read 2,635,020 times
Reputation: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.


I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.


Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?


I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.


Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol


Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
You would be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,971 posts, read 12,764,171 times
Reputation: 12026
Right now we have 450 invasive pest that are poised to kill 40% of our forest. On my five acres I have already cut down about 40 good size trees that were killed by the hemlock wooly adelids, the emerald ash borers, or a combination of the gypsy moths and other pest. Many of these invasive pest were brought here to make our lives better and it simply did not work out. Some were hitchhikers because we have to buy products for less from other countries. Regardless; we are losing our forest slowly but surely.

Humanity is the same way. When the Spanish flu broke out in 1918 the world population was a little over 1.6 billion. The current world population is 7.8 billion. That is a lot of additional biomass. Then combine that with the fact, that in 1918, it could take a person months to reach the other side of the globe. Today the other side is only a day away. Besides having more of us; we mix and mingle. We love to see, explore, taste and feel everything. We are not content to stay home; we want to party and mix it up with everybody. Plus we are digging and exploring everywhere. Then we are experimenting with everything.

What I am saying is this is predictable. It is like we turned on the switch on the world blender and we were just waiting to see what we could make. I think we did everything possible to help a virus like this one start; it should be no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 06:26 AM
 
400 posts, read 105,317 times
Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I decided to put this on the 'unexplained/mysteries' board because of the theory being discussed.


I was out earlier today and to be honest, it looked like any other sunday around here, I stopped at work briefly, they were fairly busy, about normal for a cold sunday afternoon, I stopped by Lowes to get some lumber for a project, there were PLENTY of people shopping there, I also stopped at Walmart to get a few things, same thing, PLENTY of people out shopping, in fact, the cashier lines were LONG at walmart, (so Im guessing large retail stores will be the next to close down, since they want to target places where 25 or more people congregate). I also called in a pizza to pick up, they were business as usual for a sunday too.


Yet I keep hearing people from other cities saying their area is like a ghost town, no one eating out or shopping, Im not sure what to make of this?


I also heard today that OH gov ordered all restaurants to be closed starting at 9m tonight, I would bet, large retail stores are next to be closed, Im not sure if they will close gas stations or not, its possible, because we have ALOT of people coming and going thru the day.


Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol


Anyone care to comment or add a theory?
I will second the bold part.

I live in a small town of around 12K people. Have not noticed anything different. Except at WalMart but you have to expect that because of the type that shop there.

I went shopping at the grocery store and they had plenty of everything. Then I had to go to crapmart to get Parrot food because unfortunately it is the only place to buy it. There was NO toilet paper, paper towels, or bottled water. I heard people acting worried about the town being out of paper products and laughed to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Maine
17,777 posts, read 21,748,128 times
Reputation: 21066
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im starting to wonder if there is something else going on and the virus is a disguise...maybe this is a plan to devastate the US economy intentionally or 'cull the herd' so to speak. Maybe I am just distrustful of Govt, or maybe Im just too much of a conspiracy theorist?!! lol
You have more faith in the competence of the government than I do. A conspiracy of this scale would entail hundreds if not thousands of people being "in the know" and not one of them opening their mouth. That just doesn't happen.

Three can keep a secret, but only if two of them are dead.

My reaction over the past week or so: This is definitely serious and people should do what they can to limit their exposure, not necessarily for their own safety but so they don't spread contagion to those who are vulnerable. But in terms of other pandemics like the Spanish Flu or the Black Plague, this is not even comparable.

Yet people are still freaking out. You'd think zombies were roaming the streets and the only surefire defense is toilet paper and Purell.

So this current crisis doesn't frighten me. But what does frighten me is how people are going to behave the next time a really grave crisis does hit. THE WALKING DEAD may not be all that far wrong.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 AM
 
13,085 posts, read 19,262,128 times
Reputation: 21470
No mystery, just the usual media overreaction.

I mean, it is a serious situation, but no where near as bad. The media will stress the doom and gloom because, well, that's what they do for everything. You see the hurricane coverage that they do right? If there is one house damaged you will have all reporters taking films of that one house.

It's not only the media of course, even in this forum you will see people over- reacting or mis-representing the situation in their town for dramatic purposes because it makes them seem much more important (i.e. the "drama-queen" syndrome).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 09:08 AM
 
15,166 posts, read 4,038,019 times
Reputation: 9697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You have more faith in the competence of the government than I do. A conspiracy of this scale would entail hundreds if not thousands of people being "in the know" and not one of them opening their mouth. That just doesn't happen.

Three can keep a secret, but only if two of them are dead.

My reaction over the past week or so: This is definitely serious and people should do what they can to limit their exposure, not necessarily for their own safety but so they don't spread contagion to those who are vulnerable. But in terms of other pandemics like the Spanish Flu or the Black Plague, this is not even comparable.

Yet people are still freaking out. You'd think zombies were roaming the streets and the only surefire defense is toilet paper and Purell.

So this current crisis doesn't frighten me. But what does frighten me is how people are going to behave the next time a really grave crisis does hit. THE WALKING DEAD may not be all that far wrong.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro
Why would so many people need to be in on it? I disagree with that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 AM
 
15,166 posts, read 4,038,019 times
Reputation: 9697
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Those type of prophecies really make me laugh. Like 99.999999% of prophecies they are so vague they can literally fit any situation.
It doesnt match Corona Virus because its not even killing that many people. The greater problem is public response to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 09:24 AM
 
400 posts, read 105,317 times
Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It doesnt match Corona Virus because its not even killing that many people. The greater problem is public response to it.
I Have a LOT of family in China. It is a serious virus that really does kill people. The problem is it spreads very easily. My wife talked to her parents last night and things are finally starting to get back to normal there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,639 posts, read 11,618,063 times
Reputation: 14898
Relative just tested positive for the virus. In and out of the ER 3 times so far in one week and currently admitted. Plenty of other people there in masks coughing and waiting to get tested. I know 2 other people in process of testing and waiting on results

Traffic is much lighter, many events have been cancelled, grocery stores are slim pickings now. Restaurants are take-out only now. People are starting to get nervous about the virus. Neighborhood kids can't play together either.

I do see some people continuing on like business as usual, but that seems to get smaller each day. More and more people are starting to know someone who has it, or is getting tested for it. It's all hogwash until it shows up on your street. Then it's too late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top