Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 02:02 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

I think this AS14-66-9301HR is a strange one because it does not look like it can be an image artifact as there are two points within the blue cloud. There is another blue 'something' further over to the right too.

Any ideas what these can be?

NASA original image

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
What is NASA saying they are?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:39 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
The only thing I have been able to ever find on this was it was believed to be the brightest "stars", or simply dust particles on the lens of the camera. However these spots show up on several other photos of several missions, none of which were never explained, or really questioned (same with this one) by NASA. I did see something several years ago where the biggest one was blown up, and it appeared mechanical in nature.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Don't know what it is, but it's a beautiful picture.

If you go to the original picture in the link, then click on it to enlarge, you'll notice another blue point above and just to the right of the astronaut. It's much fainter than the double blue point of light.

I don't think it's a star because you'd also see other stars in the sky, and there are none, because the aperture is closed down with the relatively bright lunar surface. Whatever it is is pretty bright - or an aritifact or blemish in the film.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
The only thing I have been able to ever find on this was it was believed to be the brightest "stars", or simply dust particles on the lens of the camera. However these spots show up on several other photos of several missions, none of which were never explained, or really questioned (same with this one) by NASA. I did see something several years ago where the biggest one was blown up, and it appeared mechanical in nature.
Strange, normally they 'remove' these things before they reach the public, Im sure they didnt make a mistake or miss them, maybe intentionally allowing the public to see them?

Old 04-30-2020, 09:32 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
If there was just one point, then I would be more likely to believe it was a lens flare or some other camera artifact, but the fact there are two dots and even another blue something over to the right, suggests to me anyway, that this is actually there. Maybe the astronaut is taking a picture of it?

If this was taken on Earth, it would be explained as a missile launch and indeed, there have been some missile launches which look kind-of similar to this with a cloud and then a point in the center somewhere (like the one over Norway which was spiral). But, there is no atmosphere and no missiles on the MOon apparently so this is impossible.

It is sad we dont have someone who can explain this 'officially'. Anyone have any contacts in related academic circles who could suggest what it might be?

Old 05-01-2020, 04:20 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Don't know what it is, but it's a beautiful picture.

If you go to the original picture in the link, then click on it to enlarge, you'll notice another blue point above and just to the right of the astronaut. It's much fainter than the double blue point of light.

I don't think it's a star because you'd also see other stars in the sky, and there are none, because the aperture is closed down with the relatively bright lunar surface. Whatever it is is pretty bright - or an aritifact or blemish in the film.
When I read stars my first thought was something like maybe Venus bright. But nothing else is quite that bright in the sky on Earth, let along on the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Strange, normally they 'remove' these things before they reach the public, Im sure they didnt make a mistake or miss them, maybe intentionally allowing the public to see them?
Some stuff slips through cracks. I do think large portion of whats out there now though is just doctored up photos people have come to accept as the real deal. Ive been reading about this one since I was like 8 or 9 years old. We didn't ave photoshop back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal