Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
There was a guy on Youtube who did just that, hunt for Sasquatch. Had some thermal images, IR images, sounds, knocks, etc. He took them down several years ago.

Intentional or not, many animals do that.
Skunks are very good at sending our messages to scare people and it does not require any infrasound. If you see their butt facing in your direction you know it is time to back up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
There was a guy on Youtube who did just that, hunt for Sasquatch. Had some thermal images, IR images, sounds, knocks, etc. He took them down several years ago.

Intentional or not, many animals do that.
I would have liked to see those thermal images.

Imo, this technology is the future and will probably lead to these things being discovered, there is no way to hide from a thermal imaging drone, flying high above and the images they return are EXCELLENT quality, you could very easily differentiate between a human, a bear, etc with thermal imaging.

Ive looked into some of these drones, there are cheaper ones available, but the type that return the excellent images, and able to image large areas of land, are VERY expensive, the one used on the Skinwalker ranch was a $35K drone.

Im just wondering if anyone has ever tried looking for them thru infrared, or how they would show up under infrared?

Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
skunks are very good at sending our messages to scare people and it does not require any infrasound. If you see their butt facing in your direction you know it is time to back up!
Yup!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:58 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would have liked to see those thermal images.

Imo, this technology is the future and will probably lead to these things being discovered, there is no way to hide from a thermal imaging drone, flying high above and the images they return are EXCELLENT quality, you could very easily differentiate between a human, a bear, etc with thermal imaging.

Ive looked into some of these drones, there are cheaper ones available, but the type that return the excellent images, and able to image large areas of land, are VERY expensive, the one used on the Skinwalker ranch was a $35K drone.

Im just wondering if anyone has ever tried looking for them thru infrared, or how they would show up under infrared?
Not that I put a lot of faith in the show, but Finding Bigfoot did use a drone with a thermal imaging camera. Dont recall what, if anything, they saw.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You don't need inferred during the winter in the states that have many Big Foot sightings. I just Google "How low can small planes fly" and I got this answer:

"The FAA has rules about flying over populated areas. Except when approaching or departing an airport, a plane may not fly lower than 1000 ft over a populated area. Elsewhere, a plane may not fly within 500 ft of any person or building or vessel."

So you take a one hour trip over a suspected BF area in a four seat Cessna that fly's at about 140 mph and you can cover many miles in that one hour trip. You take the trip on a sunny winter's day when the leaves are off the trees and snow on the ground. That way, at 500 feet away, you can clearly see a very large human shape. You can even see tracks at that distance. You can take cameras and binoculars for a good view and to preserve any 'evidence' you see from a very safe distance. I think that an hour's trip would cost you about $200 today - but it might be cheaper with cheap oil. Also, if you take friends, you could share the cost. One of you might even get a free flying lesson if you rent a plane with the dual controls.

If you decide to do that; don't go up on a windy day since the small planes can have a rough ride.

If you do take that trip think of all the small planes that are in our skies at any given time and ask yourself why none of them have ever spotted a BF?

Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
You don't need inferred during the winter in the states that have many Big Foot sightings. I just Google "How low can small planes fly" and I got this answer:

"The FAA has rules about flying over populated areas. Except when approaching or departing an airport, a plane may not fly lower than 1000 ft over a populated area. Elsewhere, a plane may not fly within 500 ft of any person or building or vessel."

So you take a one hour trip over a suspected BF area in a four seat Cessna that fly's at about 140 mph and you can cover many miles in that one hour trip. You take the trip on a sunny winter's day when the leaves are off the trees and snow on the ground. That way, at 500 feet away, you can clearly see a very large human shape. You can even see tracks at that distance. You can take cameras and binoculars for a good view and to preserve any 'evidence' you see from a very safe distance. I think that an hour's trip would cost you about $200 today - but it might be cheaper with cheap oil. Also, if you take friends, you could share the cost. One of you might even get a free flying lesson if you rent a plane with the dual controls.

If you decide to do that; don't go up on a windy day since the small planes can have a rough ride.

If you do take that trip think of all the small planes that are in our skies at any given time and ask yourself why none of them have ever spotted a BF?
A drone is even better.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:

How many are actually looking? (probably not that many).

That is interesting though, Id never thought about doing that in a small plane, we do have some smaller airports around, Blue Ash, OH has one. Plus if its done in winter, chances are very low a black bear would be out walking around.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
How many are actually looking? (probably not that many).

That is interesting though, Id never thought about doing that in a small plane, we do have some smaller airports around, Blue Ash, OH has one. Plus if its done in winter, chances are very low a black bear would be out walking around.
I took eight hours of flying lessons way back in the 1960's. Then it cost $25 dollars for the one hour plane rental and instructor.

One time since then I took up my father and my son just to show them our area from the low elevations and how much our area has changed. I believe it was in the 90s and then I think it cost $100 for the hour and pilot.

As far as black bears going to their dens; it all depends on the weather. Keep in mind that bear season is usually around Thanksgiving and some are still out foraging - otherwise they would not have a 'season'.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I took eight hours of flying lessons way back in the 1960's. Then it cost $25 dollars for the one hour plane rental and instructor.

One time since then I took up my father and my son just to show them our area from the low elevations and how much our area has changed. I believe it was in the 90s and then I think it cost $100 for the hour and pilot.

As far as black bears going to their dens; it all depends on the weather. Keep in mind that bear season is usually around Thanksgiving and some are still out foraging - otherwise they would not have a 'season'.
Was that $100 per hour, for a basic single engine cessna type plane?

My younger brother is an attorney for a large corporation, and occasionally he gets to use their helicopter if they are in a hurry to get him somewhere, he also has more regular access to the company jet, his wife and him have used it to go on trips over the weekend, he told me the helicopter is more expensive to operate of the two, somewhere around $4200 per hour (with the pilot), not sure if thats accurate or not.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Was that $100 per hour, for a basic single engine cessna type plane?

My younger brother is an attorney for a large corporation, and occasionally he gets to use their helicopter if they are in a hurry to get him somewhere, he also has more regular access to the company jet, his wife and him have used it to go on trips over the weekend, he told me the helicopter is more expensive to operate of the two, somewhere around $4200 per hour (with the pilot), not sure if thats accurate or not.
When I was taking the Cessna lessons in the 60's at $25/hour helicopter lessons were $200/hour. Plus one only needed 40 hours of instruction for the small plane and 200 hours of instruction for the helicopter. But that is from an old, possibly, foggy memory. So, if I am right, your figures could be right today.

But check with a local small airfield and see what they charge for either the lessons or a one hour trip. You could maybe even just go for half an hour to see what you can see from that height. My little time in the cockpit was with the four seat Cessna. It might have even been this model: https://www.aircraftcompare.com/airc...-172-skyhawk/? It has been manufactured since 1956. Today you can buy a new one for a little less that $200,000 - of course that might be FOB and with a few hidden charges? I think, with the cost of a helicopter, it is one of those things where if you ask you don't have the money to buy!

It's cheaper to become a drone pilot!

PS I believe that the cost of buying and maintaining the helicopters is what drove many of the local news stations into dropping their 'Eye in the Sky' with so many of us cutting the cable today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal