Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When I was taking the Cessna lessons in the 60's at $25/hour helicopter lessons were $200/hour. Plus one only needed 40 hours of instruction for the small plane and 200 hours of instruction for the helicopter. But that is from an old, possibly, foggy memory. So, if I am right, your figures could be right today.

But check with a local small airfield and see what they charge for either the lessons or a one hour trip. You could maybe even just go for half an hour to see what you can see from that height. My little time in the cockpit was with the four seat Cessna. It might have even been this model: https://www.aircraftcompare.com/airc...-172-skyhawk/? It has been manufactured since 1956. Today you can buy a new one for a little less that $200,000 - of course that might be FOB and with a few hidden charges? I think, with the cost of a helicopter, it is one of those things where if you ask you don't have the money to buy!

It's cheaper to become a drone pilot!

PS I believe that the cost of buying and maintaining the helicopters is what drove many of the local news stations into dropping their 'Eye in the Sky' with so many of us cutting the cable today.
In our area, I believe there is only one news channel that still has a helicopter, and they mainly use that to get reporters on the scene quicker, they all use drones for traffic reports now, or they have dedicated cameras mounted near the expressways, so they can watch the traffic at all times.

I rode in a helicopter one time, when I was about 13, my mom had won a free helicopter tour of Cincinnati, it was really cool, I got to sit in the front seat, and they flew over the OH river and over the city, It was about 45 minutes long, I do remember it was a scary feeling, the ride was somewhat bumpy, this was back in the mid 80s though, and I think the helicopter was an older one, it had 4 seats in the back and 2 up front.

A helicopter would not be good for searching the woods though, as they are so loud, you can hear them coming a mile away, so any Bigfoot or Dogman in the area has plenty of time to hide! I imagine they can blend in with their surroundings quite well, they may look like a tree stump if they stood still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 12:33 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In our area, I believe there is only one news channel that still has a helicopter, and they mainly use that to get reporters on the scene quicker, they all use drones for traffic reports now, or they have dedicated cameras mounted near the expressways, so they can watch the traffic at all times.

I rode in a helicopter one time, when I was about 13, my mom had won a free helicopter tour of Cincinnati, it was really cool, I got to sit in the front seat, and they flew over the OH river and over the city, It was about 45 minutes long, I do remember it was a scary feeling, the ride was somewhat bumpy, this was back in the mid 80s though, and I think the helicopter was an older one, it had 4 seats in the back and 2 up front.

A helicopter would not be good for searching the woods though, as they are so loud, you can hear them coming a mile away, so any Bigfoot or Dogman in the area has plenty of time to hide! I imagine they can blend in with their surroundings quite well, they may look like a tree stump if they stood still.
Regardless of how fast a creature can hide; they cannot travel as fast as a plane or helicopter. They might be able to dodge behind a tree or rock; but will never be able to out run a plane in the air.

Call a local airport and see how much it is to rent a plane or take a flying lesson.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:55 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
I had this thought as I was typing out a reply to Fisheye...

People that have sightings/encounters are ALWAYS out there for some other purpose, whether it be hunting, hiking, collecting mushrooms, LOL, etc.

Sightings/encounters NEVER happen when someone is SPECIFICALLY out searching for these cryptids!!

Is this just a coincidence or is it somehow significant?

Another detail Ive noticed, (although not as consistent as the above), a vast majority of the sighting reports Ive read, come from witnesses that did not believe in these things before they had their encounters, (or were indifferent/ didnt give it any thought)
And they always have crappy cameras.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And they always have crappy cameras.
Its not the quality of the camera.

The guys house I went to in Southern OH, he had numerous pictures of these things, the only problem was, they were ALL blurry and out of focus, only 1 was decent, and it looked like a big gorilla on all fours.(could not make out the shape of the head). he had tried over and over again to get decent pictures and video, using a few different types of cameras. Whats really strange about his pictures, they were all taken on his property, some were taken close to the house, and in some shots, you can clearly see the garden decorations in the yard, (but the creature was blurry, out of focus).

I honestly thought paranormal the first time I saw his pictures, there is no other explanation for everything else in the pictures being crystal clear, but the 'creature' is all blurry and undefined.

I dont know what it is, but there is something not quite normal with these things, I think there is more to them than just flesh and blood living things, Im not saying they are ghosts, but some similar perhaps.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:

The guys house I went to in Southern OH, he had numerous pictures of these things, the only problem was, they were ALL blurry and out of focus, only 1 was decent, and it looked like a big gorilla on all fours.(could not make out the shape of the head). he had tried over and over again to get decent pictures and video, using a few different types of cameras. Whats really strange about his pictures, they were all taken on his property, some were taken close to the house, and in some shots, you can clearly see the garden decorations in the yard, (but the creature was blurry, out of focus).

I honestly thought paranormal the first time I saw his pictures, there is no other explanation for everything else in the pictures being crystal clear, but the 'creature' is all blurry and undefined.

I dont know what it is, but there is something not quite normal with these things, I think there is more to them than just flesh and blood living things, Im not saying they are ghosts, but some similar perhaps.
While you look at a fuzzy picture and say 'paranormal'. The obvious explanation is that the photographer did not want a clear picture. Clear means that we can identify what we are looking at or make out the editing.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:58 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:

Interesting

Old 05-09-2020, 12:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
While you look at a fuzzy picture and say 'paranormal'. The obvious explanation is that the photographer did not want a clear picture. Clear means that we can identify what we are looking at or make out the editing.
Or they’re frightened, or they take terrible pictures.

I have a friend who is a photographer. She takes great pictures, and she can take great pictures on the fly with her phone.

When I get my phone out of my pocket and attempt to take a picture it’s a mess. Always. I have no shots of my cats in action, because I don’t have the ability to do that. It just doesn’t work for me. All my cat pictures are when they are asleep or resting, relatively calm, so I can take my time and take several photos most of which are garbage and pick the one that’s the best to share.

Even with phones being as prevalent as they are, and used in the way they are used by so many people, not everybody is an Ansell Adams.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
How can you explain a picture of this guys backyard, part of a landscape mulch bed is in the shot (this is crystal clear as you would expect in a picture), the picture also shows the wood line, (it too is crystal clear), but the 'creature', standing not 10ft away from the mulch bed looks blurry and out of focus?

Old 05-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or they’re frightened, or they take terrible pictures.

I have a friend who is a photographer. She takes great pictures, and she can take great pictures on the fly with her phone.

When I get my phone out of my pocket and attempt to take a picture it’s a mess. Always. I have no shots of my cats in action, because I don’t have the ability to do that. It just doesn’t work for me. All my cat pictures are when they are asleep or resting, relatively calm, so I can take my time and take several photos most of which are garbage and pick the one that’s the best to share.

Even with phones being as prevalent as they are, and used in the way they are used by so many people, not everybody is an Ansell Adams.
Plus, these sightings are usually SECONDS long, the witness doesnt have time to go for their phone and get a perfect shot of one of these creatures.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:55 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
Quote:
Plus, these sightings are usually SECONDS long, the witness doesnt have time to go for their phone and get a perfect shot of one of these creatures.
This is one thing we 100% agree on. This has personally happened to me even though my first thought was to get out my phone and take a picture because nobody was going to believe this. I never got a single picture taken.

I live about as close to the center of town as someone can. I seen the biggest buck deer I have ever seen standing in my neighbors front yard. Couldn't get a pic before it ran off and across the front lawn of the Court House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal