U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you believe?
Yes 66 69.47%
No 29 30.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2020, 12:00 PM
 
8,348 posts, read 3,067,517 times
Reputation: 6743

Advertisements

Here is one to start off everyone's week. I remember posting this story many years ago. My parents' first home was a very old Victorian type home - it even had an attic but we never went up there because there might have been a family of mice living there. I was about six and my sister three when we moved here but we only lived in the house about three years and moved to another house. In this house, I used to notice shadows out of the corner of my eye, I didn't know what they were and it didn't bother me. When my sister and I were in our beds going to sleep, if our legs were uncovered we would feel slight touches, and we remember this. Once when I was asleep in the afternoon I awoke to tickling, but strangely I could not see who was tickling me, there was just no one there. Also, my toys that I had in my bed would go missing when I awoke in the morning and be found in other areas of the house (no my parents did not remove them). I loved that house though. It has been sadly torn down. When the Internet came on the scene, I googled the house and found out that a young mother died giving birth to her baby (late 19th century), the baby also died. As was with the custom in those days (before widespread use of funeral homes) the visitation and funeral were held inside the family's home. Victorian homes are frequently haunted. A friend of my sister also lived in one and both she and her father used to see a little girl in old fashioned pinafore dress jumping rope down the long hallway. Homes absorb energy and sometimes there is residual (I forget the term) remnants that play out like a quirk of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2020, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
2,892 posts, read 3,656,601 times
Reputation: 1892
I will believe something if I see it...since I've never seen them, then nope, I don't believe in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 08:56 PM
 
17,174 posts, read 4,683,660 times
Reputation: 10770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I will believe something if I see it...since I've never seen them, then nope, I don't believe in them.
Ive never seen a Bigfoot or Dogman, but I believe BOTH DO EXIST!


Why?...because of how many credible reported sightings and encounters there has been over the years, many going back centuries, families passing down stories to each other, this is pretty common in some cultures, plus the Native Americans speak of creatures like this in their history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 AM
 
107 posts, read 10,943 times
Reputation: 159
Here are my experiences-

* I lived in extremely haunted historic home for about 4 months. My friends owned the property & were well educated in the history of the place. They were also used to the weird activity there so we all just laughed it off. Seriously. We thought it was funny, no one had any sort of "Scary Movie" experiences. We never even bothered to use a Ouija Board to get more info about what was going on. In our view, the "ghosts" belonged to the property and enhanced the value of the place.

* My dad lived in a home that was about 100 years old & was a house occupied by good kind people (we knew the family that owned the place.) I once awoke to the sound of children playing (keep in mind this was at 3 AM in a rural area next to a major roadway, so no kids were present.) I like to think a lot of the happy energy from that house's history still remains there.

* I stayed in an older apartment building for about 2 years altogether (work related) and saw many strange things in that building. Sadly these apparitions had more to do with people who came and went from this building. I never personally experienced anything negative from the oddness present in that place, but I did believe people when they said they felt too uncomfortable to stay there.

I've had other experiences much too personal to share on a public forum. My advice, don't fear death, and those you love are with you always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
16,009 posts, read 8,810,064 times
Reputation: 57802
Do I believe in ghosts? Well that would depend on what the definition of a ghost is. I do not believe in life after death and can't wrap my head around having a conscious thought once your brain dies and you no longer have a vessel to produce a thought. So if a ghost is a dead person, then no, I can't believe in ghosts.

Okay, here's the what the........was that.

Through the years beginning in my childhood strange things have happened to me. They follow me from place to place. One of my earliest memories was around 5 when I saw hooded figures walk single file through my room. A plausible explanation? Just a dream. Okay I can accept that.

I was roughly around ten and at a sleep over at a friends house. The bedroom was in the basement and I was sleeping on a cot. The doorknob to the door kept turning, and we thought it was just one of the brothers trying to scare us. I stood by the door and flung it open, but no one was there. Later that night I felt and heard scratching on the bottom of the cot. I got up, turned on the light and looked under the cot. There was nothing there.

It was at the same house where the UFO hoovered right over the tent we were sleeping in. Neither of us will ever forget it and it was the first thing we talked about after reuniting some 30 years later as friends again. (I still think they're military.)

We move into our house that was built in 1911, and the first night I was alone taking a shower something ripped the towel off of the towel bar on the shower door. There was a loud kaboom against the door and I waited for some intruder to find me in a very vulnerable position. Nothing happened and I finally got brave enough to look. The towel was in the middle of the bathroom. It hadn't fallen straight down. Is was as if someone ripped it off of the towel bar. What the....... To this day there must be a clear shower curtain around the antique claw foot bathtub we put in when we gutted that bathroom.

At work in one hospital a Therapist and I had just sat down to lunch in our break room when these stethoscopes hanging on the door knob started moving like in slow motion back and forth about 3 times. We just looked at each other. It was bizarre. At the same hospital I was talking to a family about my strange house when a tub flew off of the nightstand and landed on the floor. Nobody was near it.

At a different hospital someone left the water running in a patients room so I turned it off. I watched it turn itself on again, so I turned it off again. In the same room, a clipboard crashed to the floor that was sitting on the heater. I was on the other side of the bed and no one was near it. There was a family member sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed. It was strange.

In that same room I was setting up for a new patient with another therapist and I was telling him about what happened in the room. We went across the hall into the break room to finish report and this banging started in the cabinets over our head. He said "You're doing that." I laughed and said but I'm sitting right here.

In the same hospital in another wing we were working on settling in a new patient when the light switch turned itself off leaving us all in the dark. No body was near it. We were all at the bedside. Our room was the only one that went dark because I asked if any other rooms on the floor went dark. None had.

I have a ton of stories about our house, and strange things have happened with the kids here as well. Who or what walks up the stairs? I don't know.

By far the strangest experience happened at a house in Maine. As soon as we walked in I told my husband the house was occupied. He said who is here and I said ancestors, meaning more than one. I was exploring a bedroom upstairs with a tandem room. I couldn't go in that room. I had this overwhelming feeling that I was intruding, so I left.

My husband took pictures of the house and I was going to throw them away when something in the window of the bedroom caught my eye. I took the magnifying glass and looked and just about jumped out of my skin. I could see two faces. When we blew up that section of the window, there are more.

Again what the.......Are they dead people's spirits? That goes against everything I believe. Are they just random images produced by reflections? That sounds more plausible, but that weird feeling in that bedroom?

So do I believe in ghosts? No, not in the sense that they are dead people. How do I explain the many strange experiences? Well I can't other than it may be some strange anomaly in my brain that produces them? Perhaps it's just something environmental that we just don't yet understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,749 posts, read 3,632,997 times
Reputation: 3469
I grew up in a house that was built in 1635 in the UK. Unfortunately, there was never, ever anything strange that happened there and there must have been many people who died in that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Rose capitol of Texas
65 posts, read 14,562 times
Reputation: 158
When my son was 3, the waiting list for our
apartment was being held up in limbo. So
I moved us temporarily into a very nice family
shelter that was located in a very old Victorian
neighborhood. The building we stayed in had
been a maternity hospital originally. This was
1999, my son was about to turn 4.

One night, my son told me he was afraid to go
to sleep. I asked him why, he said that was
when "The Hand" came out. I tried to reassure
him the hand was mine. He insisted that he
looked at me when he felt a hand press against
his back in the darkness and someone speaking
to him. He said I was asleep and not touching
or talking to him. I asked him what the voice
said, he told me this mysterious hand would
touch him on his back shoulder area and ask
him questions.

I asked my son what questions, he was only
three so he just shrugged and implied simple
questions that you would ask a child such as
what is your name, etc.....Nothing specific.
My son told me that the reason why he
was scared was because he never saw
what was touching him. He said he tried
to look, but saw nothing.

That same timeframe, in that same place in
our same room....I happened to look up and
see the tv. Entertainment Tonight was interview
ing a then popular tv show actress. The reporter
mentioned that it was Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's
favorite program. Instantly, I said to myself,
"She is gone. It was obliteration. Catastrophe."
I did not get why, or anything about JFK jr, etc.
Just her, and she was gone.

I woke up the next morning to the news that they
were searching for the lost plane. I was in Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,115 posts, read 4,109,405 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
eeling in that bedroom?

So do I believe in ghosts? No, not in the sense that they are dead people. How do I explain the many strange experiences? Well I can't other than it may be some strange anomaly in my brain that produces them? Perhaps it's just something environmental that we just don't yet understand.
Except in one of your instances someone heard what you heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
16,009 posts, read 8,810,064 times
Reputation: 57802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Except in one of your instances someone heard what you heard.
Yep that's true. I've read that poltergeist activity comes from a living person and is just an energy form. That sounds bizarre too, but more plausible to me than a dead persons spirit walking around. I had some psychic ability when I was younger. It surfaces from time to time but it's not as prevalent as when I was younger.

Another witnessed instance occurred in our attic. When the neighbors boys were young they would come over all the time and we'd play hide and seek in the house. We no sooner got up to the attic when the door knob did the same thing it did at my friends house when I was young. I opened the door but no one was there. It scared the crap out of the kids.

Fast forward about 10 years. The same boy was here with his girlfriend. We were playing hide and seek in the house with all of the lights off. His girlfriend and his brother were hiding in the attic. She texts him and asked where are you. We heard you come up and the door knob turn, but no one came up to find us. He texted back that we were all downstairs and nobody was up there, which is true. They both came running out and down the stairs. They were pretty scared. So what was it?

In the same attic with the same teenagers I was telling them stories about the weird things that happened to me in the house and at the hospitals. We had a candle lit and the attic was decorated for Halloween. I no sooner finished the story when a black light fell off of a ledge and hit the plastic Halloween scene I had between the attic and the stairs. I watched the scene crumble all the way down as if someone was touching it. Just the corner where the black light hit it came loose. The rest stayed up. It was just weird.

The kids all ran out but I insisted that we go take pictures. One cell phone captured a green orb in two frames that moved from the floor and up in the second frame. If you blow up the orb on the phone it looks like some kind of bird or reptile face. That black light had been up there for years and never came down before, or since.

For decades I've looked for explanations as to why these things happen to me other than relating to life after death. So far I've come up with one that suggests that I have a hyperactive electromagnetic field. Telekinesis seems just as unlikely as a dead persons spirit walking around the planet, so the quest to scientifically understand these strange occurrences continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,115 posts, read 4,109,405 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yep that's true. I've read that poltergeist activity comes from a living person and is just an energy form. That sounds bizarre too, but more plausible to me than a dead persons spirit walking around. I had some psychic ability when I was younger. It surfaces from time to time but it's not as prevalent as when I was younger.

Another witnessed instance occurred in our attic. When the neighbors boys were young they would come over all the time and we'd play hide and seek in the house. We no sooner got up to the attic when the door knob did the same thing it did at my friends house when I was young. I opened the door but no one was there. It scared the crap out of the kids.

Fast forward about 10 years. The same boy was here with his girlfriend. We were playing hide and seek in the house with all of the lights off. His girlfriend and his brother were hiding in the attic. She texts him and asked where are you. We heard you come up and the door knob turn, but no one came up to find us. He texted back that we were all downstairs and nobody was up there, which is true. They both came running out and down the stairs. They were pretty scared. So what was it?

In the same attic with the same teenagers I was telling them stories about the weird things that happened to me in the house and at the hospitals. We had a candle lit and the attic was decorated for Halloween. I no sooner finished the story when a black light fell off of a ledge and hit the plastic Halloween scene I had between the attic and the stairs. I watched the scene crumble all the way down as if someone was touching it. Just the corner where the black light hit it came loose. The rest stayed up. It was just weird.

The kids all ran out but I insisted that we go take pictures. One cell phone captured a green orb in two frames that moved from the floor and up in the second frame. If you blow up the orb on the phone it looks like some kind of bird or reptile face. That black light had been up there for years and never came down before, or since.

For decades I've looked for explanations as to why these things happen to me other than relating to life after death. So far I've come up with one that suggests that I have a hyperactive electromagnetic field. Telekinesis seems just as unlikely as a dead persons spirit walking around the planet, so the quest to scientifically understand these strange occurrences continues.
Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top