Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe?
Yes 116 69.46%
No 51 30.54%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 10:47 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My husband died 10 months ago, I have yet to have any signs, any differences like he’s moving stuff at night, no cat weirdness, nothing.
I even slept in a cemetery in the hope of seeing one, but no ghost or spirit made an appearance. You would think they would show up to shoo me away from their resting place. What about the million of victims of murder? Their spirit could certainly help the police catch the killers. Wouldn't that be a better reason to hang around than haunting a house, turning the light on and off at night, walking around in white attire, etc.? What about the people who died in abusive nursing homes? Me the ghost would certainly come back and scare the crap out of those who abused me. With so many important things ghosts can do, it's such a waste of time for them engage in useless activities.

Another thing, how come they are never active during the day? Do they sleep during the day and only come out at night? Is it against ghost laws to hang out during the day?

Last edited by davidt1; 07-18-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 09:39 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I have a mystery from childhood.

I had a favorite book. King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. When I had searched everywhere that it would be and couldn't find it I asked my mom if she knew where it was. She said she didn't.

The next morning when I woke up there it was laying on my bedside table. I went down for breakfast and thanked her for finding it for me. She said she hadn't!

The only other person who lived in the house was my dad who was at work when I asked her about it and when he came home he said he didn't even know I was looking for it.

My parents were fun people but this isn't the sort of thing they would have done for a joke. If they played a joke eventually they would have wanted me to know it was a trick. But it was never brought up again.

The only solution I've been able to come up with is that my subconscious knew where the book was and that I walked in my sleep and went and got it.

But that's just about as creepy as having a friendly supernatural being go fetch it for me. Yikes.

Truth be I don't believe in using the word "supernatural." What ever happens with us is within the realm of experience. I just wish all those folks studying physics and the brain would speed it up and start explaining when seemingly normal people occasionally have seemingly abnormal experiences.

Maybe it has something to do with the theory of the multiverse?

Old 08-06-2021, 09:49 PM

346 posts, read 445,386 times
In 2015 I came home from working the midnight shift. I found my wife slumped over in a chair with her eyes wide open in the bedroom. I attempted CPR but was unsuccessful. My wife had been a prescription pill abuser for several years. The coroner report came back multiple drug intoxication. 8 mos later I married the woman of my dreams. One night while sleeping in the bedroom where my ex wife died my wife heard a womans voice say get out. We never again slept in that bedroom. We only use that room for storage.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:44 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
As in 'Casper the friendly ghost', I voted no. I believe Einstein proved that there is no energy lost, and from that root I would say I believe in spirits.

Apparitions are tricky. There are many reasons for them that may have absolutely nothing to do with a spirit - swamp gas is just one of several examples of things that can cause glowing apparitions.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:59 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I tend to be suspicious of ghost sightings. It's no different than UFO or bigfoot sightings really. 99% of them are probably explainable or made up, but there is usually a small portion of those that may be legitimate.

A friend of mine works in the construction industry. When a new school gets built, his company would bid on the job, and build it.

This particular job was refitting an old state hospital into state offices. They won the job, and this was the initial regulatory meetings with local and state officials.

This story is a bit paraphrased and leave out some nonessential details. He walks into the meeting and it's the usual stuff for 1-2 hours. As they are winding down, he told me one of the state reps turned to him and said "So what is your plan for contractor retention given the reported haunting of the site?"

"Wait a minute.....what?" was essentially his reply.

He said he thought it was a joke but everyone in the room was serious. Apparently it was an ongoing issue and there were a number of "sightings" (even by some of the folks in the room) and creepy events that occurred in the basement of one particular building. It caused a number of contractors who were working in that area to walk off and not return which created a ton of project delays.

My buddy told me the room was full of some senior state/town politicians and this topic was brought up no differently than discussing environmental impact, or infrastructure needs.

He actually ended up working up a work schedule around this "haunting" to avoid putting 1-2 contractors alone at a time in this particular place. Guess ghosts don't like to appear when there are 20 men making a ton of noise. Still an ongoing project for him and i just sent him a text asking for an update.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:08 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Funny. I represent psychiatric patients and for about seventeen years I was working at a very old psychiatric hospital, which had at one time held 1800 patients, and where there is a burial ground for patients who died there. I spent time in all the wards, all the tunnels, many of the offices that had been hospital space.

Never the slightest sighting of a ghost or any other supernatural or undead entity. For that matter, I never heard a patient, staff member, or psychiatrist talk about any such sighting.

I understand that some people think it's fun to believe in these stories, but I'm afraid they're all either misinterpretations, misperceptions, or just made up.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:42 PM

215 posts, read 144,595 times
when a person has fear , the mind can play tricks with your imagination , why do ghosts wear clothing? probably because thats how you imagine how a ghost looks, a civil war ghost always appears in his uniform , or the ghost seems to always be seen wearing period clothing from 1850 , etc

how come it's always a ghost from a very long time ago? why not modern day, if ghost exists , the world would be full of ghosts from every living person , creature that ever lived, why only humans, why not a horse, cow , dog , etc

Old 08-18-2021, 02:38 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
As a kid I believed in Casper the Ghost. But as I matured and became an adult I got over it.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"The only solution I've been able to come up with is that my subconscious knew where the book was and that I walked in my sleep and went and got it."

One time I lost my lanyard with the ID I need to get into the work office. I ALWAYS put things like that including keys in the exact same spot. I've never wasted a second "looking for" things like that because I always know exactly where they are.

One morning leaving for work, I couldn't find the lanyard. The wife and I did a thorough search, double checked every movement I made etc. I even went to work and looked for it on the off chance that I lost it there. No dice. Since the ID card would be expensive for me to replace, I called the wife and asked her to check the garbage, in case I had accidentally put it on the counter and it got mistakenly tossed while cleaning the kitchen. She told me she had already looked for it in the garbage having the same idea.

When I got home I took the garbage out and in the process searched through the entire bag of trash. The ID was at the VERY BOTTOM, which means it was underneath garbage that pre-dated me losing the lanyard by at least 3 days. The wife only looked at the top of the garbage. It also meant that for it to get there, somebody had to fish around nearly shoulder deep in the can to put it there.

The only rational explanation is that one of us threw the lanyard away, taking time to get it to the very bottom of the trash so it would be unlikely to be found.

At the time, I was having an especially rough time with work stress, and I have a history of sleepwalking. The conclusion I came to was that my subconscious tried to solve my work stress problem by hiding my work lanyard from me in the middle of the night. I also believe that I had the idea to double-check the garbage after the wife had already searched it was that some of that knowledge leaked from my subconscious.

At least, it makes a lot more sense to me than blaming ghosts. I think that most of the time, the ghost is in the machine, and the machine is between our ears.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:21 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Funny. I represent psychiatric patients and for about seventeen years I was working at a very old psychiatric hospital, which had at one time held 1800 patients, and where there is a burial ground for patients who died there. I spent time in all the wards, all the tunnels, many of the offices that had been hospital space.

Never the slightest sighting of a ghost or any other supernatural or undead entity. For that matter, I never heard a patient, staff member, or psychiatrist talk about any such sighting.

I understand that some people think it's fun to believe in these stories, but I'm afraid they're all either misinterpretations, misperceptions, or just made up.
Just because YOU did not experience anything does not mean they are "misinterpretations, misperceptions, or just made up". It is rather arrogant to assume you are the judge of this for everyone else in the world.

It could be that your brain is not the kind which accepts those things as real. You remember the gorilla which sneaks onto the stage and steals the banana while the whole audience is watching the performance. Not many of the audience see that gorilla (consciously). I forget where that happened but I know the Derren Brown has done it with his audience, twice in the same show and after pointing it out many of the audience still did not see it the second time. This is EXACTLY how you cannot see ghosties.

For some people it is not fun to see ghosties. It is scary and traumatic, and some phenomena are also physical and produce physical results too. There must be something else going on which does not fit into your rather mundane version of life.

There is a statistic which is bandied about about aliens too - that about 1-2% of the population are abducted, but I bet you are not one of those 1-2% either. Try telling those people who have been poked and prodded and probed that they are making it up and are imagining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut
why do ghosts wear clothing? probably because thats how you imagine how a ghost looks, a civil war ghost always appears in his uniform , or the ghost seems to always be seen wearing period clothing from 1850 , etc
How come it's always a ghost from a very long time ago? why not modern day, if ghost exists , the world would be full of ghosts from every living person , creature that ever lived, why only humans, why not a horse, cow , dog , etc
From what I have read, (ie: a belief) it seems that folks who have died like to associate with their last life and tend to go with what they did then and just continue doing what is familiar to them. That would include clothes, actions, habits, etc. There is no linear time either so lives can be slotted into any time period which suits the purpose of the lesson that spirit needs to learn. The impression I get from my reading is that the spirit is in a continual state of growth from (in our reality) the smallest to the most developed and the other species have their own progression path. When they get to be "enlightened" then they go up a level and start at the bottom of the next rung of the ladder - just as we do. I explain it to myself this way, so a dog or cat can become incarnated as a human next time around and then starts learning the long list of human lessons. Of course, I might have got it totally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal