U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 03:43 PM

18,599 posts, read 13,949,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I don't believe in spirits, but I could be persuaded to change my mind if someone showed me some evidence they exist.
With respect, I really think it's got to be experienced. I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think you have a misunderstanding of what an atheist is.
An atheist is someone that lacks a belief in a deity, it's a statement about "belief."
An agnostic is someone who says we can have no possible knowledge about something supernatural,
it's a statement about "knowledge", not belief.
You're right. Even being over in the Atheist area - I could not presume to understand
all the different takes on atheism or agnosticism.
I will add that in my sentences from now on.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
-Do you believe in unicorns, too? Lots of stories about them.

-Do you respect agnostics more than, for instance, fundamentalists, who have no openness?
-If you believe seeing is believing, have you seen spirits?

-Or god?
I think ur directing this to the op, me, right?
One at a time...yes, I respect agnostics WAY more than Fundies.

I haven't seen spirits. My uncle, my buddy - has come to visit me - and wow, in CO - the whole place or my car has filled with seagull/ocean smells maybe you have heard your gramma may fill the room with her rose perfume ---
or a father with his pipe and Old Spice scent?) Anyway, I feel his presence just dropping in.
But ONE time I was in an emotionally stuck place, darn relationships!
And I'll be darned if once he made his presence known if he didn't infused my mind with a profound, dawning realization of what the dynamics were that helped me outta the mess.

God? - You don't know me yet...Having done meditation for 47 years often 3-6
hours in complete silence and stillness...almost breathless - yes.
And He personally has visited me for decades...and may I say -WOW.
I am not quite the same for, say, 3 months afterwards.
I don't say this lightly, tho, online it seems trite, I know.

Unicorns - I believe they exist in another dimension and have 'bled through', like fairies and such,
to accidentally be seen by us.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
You insult atheists, and then ask for no insults.
I did?
I re-read it --I don't see it.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not really religious, but I do have a feeling, there is some kind of judgement after our death...
Aw, if you read a lot of NDEs there is a pervasive thread that we are not judged..
but rather understood and smiled at when in our Life Review) we did something full of love.
(One guy his whole life only did ONE loving thing!~ Hahahaha) It's as if you are surrounded by friends.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I simply do not believe in things that cannot be proven. I am open to changing my opinion if the facts were discovered. And I don't think you have to be an agnostic to have this point of view. I am atheist.

But people that believe in god and or the supernatural tend to discount the evidence or lack there of that their ideas are correct. More rigid than atheists.
Thanks - kept to the ques.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Because I am educated in the sciences.

I am also educated in Psychology...
Thanks you, also. you stuck to the topic's ques.

PS Sheena - ''cocksure''...that's funny.

Science - ok ---it's just so limited and not the 'end all, be all'...yet.
It's in it's infancy, as I see it.
Oh-oh ---is that going to be seen as an insult, too? I'm not meaning it that way ---it's just limited.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:51 PM

7,207 posts, read 3,224,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Basically, the more you understand science, the less likely you are to believe in spirits.

Science is the spirit killer, in a nutshell.
No, no no, I disagree. Science actually validates spirit.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:21 PM

16,386 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Very good post. I have similar trouble with atheists. How are they so cocksure that there is no supreme being?

These people also insist upon using scientific method to understand supernatural events. It can not be done. That's akin to attempting to judge art, music or literature by using scientific method. Different fields. Different criteria. Art, literature, music etc., also have a subjective factor.

When it comes to disbelief in ghosts, spirits, and other phenomena, I think that die, hard skeptics, are just uncomfortable with what they cannot control or manipulate.

That says more about them, and their mindset, than it does about those of us who believe.

I am comfortable not having an answer for everything, and open to learning new things and exploring different philosophies, possibilities, and viewpoints.
But most of us do not charge or try to manipulate others to believe as we believe. Most of us are not selling crystals and books or pyramids to strap on your heads. Many of us are constantly searching for answers just like the believers and we are "open to learning new things and exploring different philosophies, possibilities, and viewpoints".

The difference is that we like to see proof! We are not buying the Brooklyn Bridge without the title search!

Old 05-15-2020, 05:30 PM

8,822 posts, read 2,453,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Well its hard to think like this Oklazona Bound because the universe is not all on the same level! (realm)

We are on the physical realml (What we can see) but there is so much more...... You might be alarmed if you knew what might be in your room with you @ the moment!!

I am open to any and all possibilities but I am not going to say I believe in something that simply has not been proven to exist. But I hope you are right in your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal