U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:30 PM

7,207 posts, read 3,224,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Your words - The term "Bigfoot" wasn't coined until the 1970s. The term "Sasquatch" wasn't used until even later

The word Bigfoot was first used in the 50s, by a newspaper reporter.

Sasquatch, originally Sasq’ets, dates back to 1920, other than the term being used by many North American native Indians. But, you are correct in that there is no real documentation when it was used.
Right. I'm most interested in pre-1900 archived newspapers. I have found over 30 reports from the 1760s-late 1800s with a high consistency of details. The bulk of them are from the Pacific Northwest & the NE territories.

I also found reports of 'wild men' that were actually humans. Typically awol soldiers that ran from their units & took up residence in caves. Interestingly, after about 10 years as 'wild', these men had grown long, thick body hair and developed well above average strength. But they lacked the anomalous skeletal & skull proportions, as well as the height. And they were able to be captured, albeit with teams of 10 men or more.

After weeding those out, a very clear picture emerged about the 'hairy giant' or 'wild man' we know today as Bigfoot.

Not one ever captured. Archived newspapers from what is now Canada are also very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 AM

16,386 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don't think think BF stay on our trails, lol. Trails are a human construct. Many reports state they literally disappeared through dense foliage or up or down vertical mountain sides where we cannot follow.

Personally I think there are unknown cave entrances hidden in brush & they go into the earth. Not small... Just unknown.
I spent many years pushing my body through brush too thick to walk through. I loved to grouse hunt and that is where you find the little buggers. Usually you only hear them flush and never see them; it is just too thick. I have heard bear very close to me while hunting grouse and one time I ended up looking at a coiled large copperhead ready to strike only two feet from my face. But I never saw any hidden cave entrances or BF.

They obviously do not hide all the time because of the number of reports. But the fact that we have no evidence seems to suggest that the witnesses are misidentifying known creatures and other humans. That is the simplest answer to what we have debated for years.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 AM

17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I spent many years pushing my body through brush too thick to walk through. I loved to grouse hunt and that is where you find the little buggers. Usually you only hear them flush and never see them; it is just too thick. I have heard bear very close to me while hunting grouse and one time I ended up looking at a coiled large copperhead ready to strike only two feet from my face. But I never saw any hidden cave entrances or BF.

They obviously do not hide all the time because of the number of reports. But the fact that we have no evidence seems to suggest that the witnesses are misidentifying known creatures and other humans. That is the simplest answer to what we have debated for years.
You could have been standing right next to a hidden cave or mine entrance and its possible you would not even see it.

Heres a good question, as it relates to mis identifying other animals or people...if this is the case, why are sightings and encounters so rare? Many witnesses have spent their entire lives hunting, hiking or spending time in the woods, and yet they say, no other time did they ever see something like this. If it was mis identified animals or people, sightings and encounters would be MUCH more common.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You could have been standing right next to a hidden cave or mine entrance and its possible you would not even see it.

Heres a good question, as it relates to mis identifying other animals or people...if this is the case, why are sightings and encounters so rare? Many witnesses have spent their entire lives hunting, hiking or spending time in the woods, and yet they say, no other time did they ever see something like this. If it was mis identified animals or people, sightings and encounters would be MUCH more common.
Not if those sightings are sightings of three legged bear. Not every wild animal can go through that much damage and live. The one in NJ was photographed several times. But it just happens every once in a while that an animals survives a very serious injury and learns to cope with that injury by walking on two legs instead of four. That would explain why one is seen in an area and then it dies and is not seen again in that same area ever again.

You also have the hunters in the Ghillie suits. It is amazing that one of them has not been shot mistaken for a Big Foot.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not if those sightings are sightings of three legged bear. Not every wild animal can go through that much damage and live. The one in NJ was photographed several times. But it just happens every once in a while that an animals survives a very serious injury and learns to cope with that injury by walking on two legs instead of four. That would explain why one is seen in an area and then it dies and is not seen again in that same area ever again.

You also have the hunters in the Ghillie suits. It is amazing that one of them has not been shot mistaken for a Big Foot.
Hmm, Ive never heard of anyone reporting a bigfoot missing an arm or leg, if it was bear who was missing a leg, even though it was standing on its hind legs, it would still be noticeable it only had one arm/leg, and really, a bear standing on its hind legs looks NOTHING like the descriptions people give of sasquatch, (bears do not have massive shoulders/chest, arms that hang to their knees). those are 2 pretty easily noticeable features.

A bear standing on 2 legs would look more like a 'dogman' than a sasquatch (from a considerable distance), but even with the Dogman descriptions, a bear doesnt match so well.

As far as hunters in Ghille suits, they would be very likely to speak up and make themselves known to another armed person! (unless they had a death wish), plus, someone in a ghille suit doesnt match sasquatch descriptions, (only the ghillle suit could be mistaken for long hair), the other physical descriptions dont match.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm, Ive never heard of anyone reporting a bigfoot missing an arm or leg, if it was bear who was missing a leg, even though it was standing on its hind legs, it would still be noticeable it only had one arm/leg, and really, a bear standing on its hind legs looks NOTHING like the descriptions people give of sasquatch, (bears do not have massive shoulders/chest, arms that hang to their knees). those are 2 pretty easily noticeable features.

A bear standing on 2 legs would look more like a 'dogman' than a sasquatch (from a considerable distance), but even with the Dogman descriptions, a bear doesnt match so well.

As far as hunters in Ghille suits, they would be very likely to speak up and make themselves known to another armed person! (unless they had a death wish), plus, someone in a ghille suit doesnt match sasquatch descriptions, (only the ghillle suit could be mistaken for long hair), the other physical descriptions dont match.
It all depends on the perspective of the observer. It also depends on how the observer interprets what they see. Keep in mind that we have one poster that looks at dark shading in heavy foliage and swears it is a picture of Big Foot. Could that be a bear or a man? You need a better perspective than just looking through the brush and trees.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It all depends on the perspective of the observer. It also depends on how the observer interprets what they see. Keep in mind that we have one poster that looks at dark shading in heavy foliage and swears it is a picture of Big Foot. Could that be a bear or a man? You need a better perspective than just looking through the brush and trees.
I do agree on that, I dont even bother reading the Class B or C bigfoot reports, Class A are the only ones I read, a clear unobstructed view is required for it to be a class A report.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I do agree on that, I dont even bother reading the Class B or C bigfoot reports, Class A are the only ones I read, a clear unobstructed view is required for it to be a class A report.
How about time of day and weather?

Old 05-24-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
How about time of day and weather?
99% of the class A reports Ive seen, weather is reported as good or decent, which makes sense, why would a person be out hiking or hunting in bad weather or at night.

The only reports that Ive seen that come from night time, are those where the person sees it from their car, such as standing beside the road, running out in front of their car, standing or lying the road.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:18 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,233,932 times
Quote:
What do you mean by Class A, B and C?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or