U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2020, 07:33 AM
 
5,397 posts, read 8,464,067 times
Reputation: 3455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Mark S and I discussed this one mythical creature, it had a human body, but no head, and its face was in the chest area, I believe one culture claimed these creatures lived on a island somewhere...and yet there are NO reports of sightings or encounters with these creatures today, no legends from other cultures that speak of the same thing...doesnt make sense?
Where is this discussion between you and Mark S? I remember seeing etchings of these things in a library book I read as a adolescent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2020, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,244 posts, read 4,187,809 times
Reputation: 9921
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
OK, so where are all the 'fake' sightings and encounters with such creatures today?

**If Im just wanting attention or Im just an outright liar at heart, and have no problem fabricating fake DOgman encounters or sightings....why would I have any qualms about fabricating sightings/encounters of other 'mythical creatures'? ...
I said nothing about sightings being fake, and have never you a liar. I believe I've always treated you with respect -- and expect the same treatment from you, not accusations that I'm calling you a liar, when I've never done such a thing. When you or ocpaul or other "believers" engage in this kind of behavior, it removes any enjoyment I have from my contributions here. I have better things to do with my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 AM
 
12,824 posts, read 21,493,573 times
Reputation: 21784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive been thinking about doing a little 'social media experiment' related to this...basically fabricate an encounter with some other mythical half human/half animal creature and see how many people try to copy cat it over a period of time.
They would.

Several years ago, a little boy went missing in a Northern California town. This became a media sensation. They interviewed the little boys older brother, and he remembered seeing an older white van with blue stripes. Something like that, this was a while ago. There was something distinctive about the van. One woman in particular got a lot of airtime describing this van. Her story didn’t appear to be a lie because the details didn’t change, normally people when they’re lying, start adding stuff to it to make it a better story. She wasn’t the only one who saw this van, aside from the brother. Others remembered the van, too.

As it turned out, my initial suspicions about the older brother were correct. He accidentally killed his little brother. Dragged his body out into the woods and buried under sticks or something. And then reported him missing. He made up the van. The van did not exist. The van that everybody was claiming that they saw and could identify if they saw it again didn’t exist.

I would bet that there is a psychological explanation for this. People want to help. And so they “saw“ the van. Some of them might’ve been doing it to get in on the case, I mean murder mysteries are very popular for a reason people find the stuff interesting.

So I’m betting if you planted a story about some sort of mythical creature, you’d find that it would go around in the Internet.

I’m 60 years old. And I have always had an interest in the paranormal. I have to tell you this dogman thing? Sounds just like that. It sounds like a somebody made it up. Because I’ve heard of Bigfoot throughout my whole life — as soon as I got interested in the paranormal, which would be around the time I was 10 and started watching Scooby Doo.

You can’t look at historical documents from today’s eyes without looking at the history around the historical documents. It’s like reading the biblical book of Revelations and thinking that it’s literal. It’s not literal, it’s about something that happened like 1900 years ago with the persecution of Christians.

It’s like going to an old cemetery and reading the headstones. There’s symbology that‘s common use back then that we just think are pretty carvings today. Almost universally, if there’s a lamb on a headstone that’s a child. Interesting article. https://www.thoughtco.com/photo-gall...bolism-4123061

One of the things I’ve learned doing genealogy, is that one source isn’t good enough. Because one source could be wrong. Take my great grandparents for instance. my great grandparents were complete unknowns. It was almost like my second great grandmother who we all called Granny picked my grandmother out of a Cabbage Patch. Most of my family honestly thought that there was an adoptive relationship — Granny adopted grandma.

The reality was Granny had a daughter who died of tuberculosis at 24 in 1896 about a year after my grandmother‘s brother was born. Grandma was born 1894. It took me 20 some years to find that one little tidbit of information of when she died for real. Because the primary source that everybody used what is the cemetery headstone. That sucker is wrong — wildly wrong. Both hers and his. I’m not even going into the eight years it took me to find them. This family’s been a journey. I found that little tidbit on a Yahoo group of people searching in the same area. They are, in their searches of primary materials, transcribing.

That’s the other thing. There’s tons and tons of stuff on the Internet. In the real world there’s so so much more out there. In the past few years my genealogical search has been sidelined. Dealing with my husband‘s illness and subsequent death and then the grief, I just haven’t had the hours to devote because I have so much more that I need to deal with. And I’m also not where I need to be. I need to be back in Pennsylvania so I can go to these places and look at things. I can tell you that if I don’t mess with it for six months go on and then go back on Ancestry it’s almost like it’s a whole new Ancestry. But even there there is a lot of garbage in/garbage out. Nothing beats a real primary source. And I know for a fact that eyewitness accounts are not good primary sources.

Many years ago, I worked in a very small branch of the bank. There were several robberies in the area and the police department decided to give us training on what to do and what to look for. So they held a mock robbery before we opened. They came in, talked to us about what they were going to do, and what we should do, and then... a guy walked in with a gun and started shouting.

Even during the mock robbery the other teller could only look at the fake gun. She didn’t even look at his face. She was scared. It’s a totally normal reaction, it’s involuntary. I managed to keep my cool and I could’ve picked him out of a lineup because he looked like Wilford Brimley. And if he hadn’t looked like Wilford Brimley, there’s a really good chance that I wouldn’t have been able to pick him out of the lineup. But they made the mistake of using somebody that was very distinctive looking. And he did not mask himself, like most robbers.
__________________
Solly says — Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 AM
 
17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times
Reputation: 10732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Where is this discussion between you and Mark S? I remember seeing etchings of these things in a library book I read as a adolescent.
That discussion was in one of the Bigfoot or Dogman threads, I forget which one though.


There was also mention of some creature that just had one big foot and they hopped around...of course, the difference in those things and Dog man is, there are not 1000s of sightings from all over the world of those creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 10:52 AM
 
17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times
Reputation: 10732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I said nothing about sightings being fake, and have never you a liar. I believe I've always treated you with respect -- and expect the same treatment from you, not accusations that I'm calling you a liar, when I've never done such a thing. When you or ocpaul or other "believers" engage in this kind of behavior, it removes any enjoyment I have from my contributions here. I have better things to do with my time.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote there, I was not accusing you of calling me anything, that last part was just a generalization, about people who do fake sightings and encounters, I wasnt speaking of anyone in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,386 posts, read 13,161,596 times
Reputation: 12351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They would.

Several years ago, a little boy went missing in a Northern California town. This became a media sensation. They interviewed the little boys older brother, and he remembered seeing an older white van with blue stripes. Something like that, this was a while ago. There was something distinctive about the van. One woman in particular got a lot of airtime describing this van. Her story didn’t appear to be a lie because the details didn’t change, normally people when they’re lying, start adding stuff to it to make it a better story. She wasn’t the only one who saw this van, aside from the brother. Others remembered the van, too.

As it turned out, my initial suspicions about the older brother were correct. He accidentally killed his little brother. Dragged his body out into the woods and buried under sticks or something. And then reported him missing. He made up the van. The van did not exist. The van that everybody was claiming that they saw and could identify if they saw it again didn’t exist.

I would bet that there is a psychological explanation for this. People want to help. And so they “saw“ the van. Some of them might’ve been doing it to get in on the case, I mean murder mysteries are very popular for a reason people find the stuff interesting.

So I’m betting if you planted a story about some sort of mythical creature, you’d find that it would go around in the Internet.

I’m 60 years old. And I have always had an interest in the paranormal. I have to tell you this dogman thing? Sounds just like that. It sounds like a somebody made it up. Because I’ve heard of Bigfoot throughout my whole life — as soon as I got interested in the paranormal, which would be around the time I was 10 and started watching Scooby Doo.

You can’t look at historical documents from today’s eyes without looking at the history around the historical documents. It’s like reading the biblical book of Revelations and thinking that it’s literal. It’s not literal, it’s about something that happened like 1900 years ago with the persecution of Christians.

It’s like going to an old cemetery and reading the headstones. There’s symbology that‘s common use back then that we just think are pretty carvings today. Almost universally, if there’s a lamb on a headstone that’s a child. Interesting article. https://www.thoughtco.com/photo-gall...bolism-4123061

One of the things I’ve learned doing genealogy, is that one source isn’t good enough. Because one source could be wrong. Take my great grandparents for instance. my great grandparents were complete unknowns. It was almost like my second great grandmother who we all called Granny picked my grandmother out of a Cabbage Patch. Most of my family honestly thought that there was an adoptive relationship — Granny adopted grandma.

The reality was Granny had a daughter who died of tuberculosis at 24 in 1896 about a year after my grandmother‘s brother was born. Grandma was born 1894. It took me 20 some years to find that one little tidbit of information of when she died for real. Because the primary source that everybody used what is the cemetery headstone. That sucker is wrong — wildly wrong. Both hers and his. I’m not even going into the eight years it took me to find them. This family’s been a journey. I found that little tidbit on a Yahoo group of people searching in the same area. They are, in their searches of primary materials, transcribing.

That’s the other thing. There’s tons and tons of stuff on the Internet. In the real world there’s so so much more out there. In the past few years my genealogical search has been sidelined. Dealing with my husband‘s illness and subsequent death and then the grief, I just haven’t had the hours to devote because I have so much more that I need to deal with. And I’m also not where I need to be. I need to be back in Pennsylvania so I can go to these places and look at things. I can tell you that if I don’t mess with it for six months go on and then go back on Ancestry it’s almost like it’s a whole new Ancestry. But even there there is a lot of garbage in/garbage out. Nothing beats a real primary source. And I know for a fact that eyewitness accounts are not good primary sources.

Many years ago, I worked in a very small branch of the bank. There were several robberies in the area and the police department decided to give us training on what to do and what to look for. So they held a mock robbery before we opened. They came in, talked to us about what they were going to do, and what we should do, and then... a guy walked in with a gun and started shouting.

Even during the mock robbery the other teller could only look at the fake gun. She didn’t even look at his face. She was scared. It’s a totally normal reaction, it’s involuntary. I managed to keep my cool and I could’ve picked him out of a lineup because he looked like Wilford Brimley. And if he hadn’t looked like Wilford Brimley, there’s a really good chance that I wouldn’t have been able to pick him out of the lineup. But they made the mistake of using somebody that was very distinctive looking. And he did not mask himself, like most robbers.
Great post! This is what I have been saying about eye witness testimony. Many of us do not get the real picture when something like a robbery happens or when we get scared because of a 'unnatural' movement in the forest. The fact that so many believe in BF or Dogman can only feed the fears of others and possibly plant that picture in their minds. That is why it is so important to get the evidence to support the sightings.

Sorry for your loss and the hard times you are going through and I wish you luck on your ancestry search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2020, 03:33 PM
 
5,397 posts, read 8,464,067 times
Reputation: 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That discussion was in one of the Bigfoot or Dogman threads, I forget which one though.


There was also mention of some creature that just had one big foot and they hopped around...of course, the difference in those things and Dog man is, there are not 1000s of sightings from all over the world of those creatures.
No doubt the creature with the big foot was the original Big Foot.

The creature with its face on its chest is called Blemmye. Some had eyes on their shoulders. They were said to be a race of normal people who had been cursed for some reason. There are several other thoughts about their origin. One thought is that they might have been Bedouins with their heads wrapped in turbans giving the impression the turban covered the upper part of their body with their face exposed on their upper "torso". Some were thought to inhabit part of North Africa. Others were said to be in North India, and an island in the Andaman Sea. Interestingly, I found out that there were also others said to have een sighted in the northern tropical areas of South America. The photo in Wiki is the same one I saw in a book when I was a kid. I think the original image was a woodcut. You can see Dogman makes a special guest appearance in the woodcut.

The 'Big Foot' was another race of men, called a Monopod, and thought to be found in India and Ethiopia. It could hop around and would lay on its back to use its foot to provide shade from the sun. There has been the thought that they were sightings of Indian sadhus who would sometimes meditate on one foot.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...hia_(1544).jpg

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myth...thology-003082

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopod_(creature)


With regard to 1000s of Dogman sightings from all over the world. How did you come up with that figure (which could be anywhere from more than 1000 to just under 10,000)? That's quite a range. Are you lumping werewolves in with Dogmen as part of the 1000s of sightings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
7,119 posts, read 5,716,528 times
Reputation: 24448
Boxers are large and powerful dogs that sometimes can be agressive. A girl I worked with was attacked by 2 boxers as she was doing her job, meter reading, in the dog owner's back yard. She had rattled the gate and called out to see if the dogs were outside before entering the yard. The owner heard her and opened the back door, allowing the dogs to run out and take her down. She fought them for several minutes before the owner was able to get them off of her. She was very seriously mauled.

I believe in Occam's Razor...the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 11:33 AM
 
17,104 posts, read 4,653,109 times
Reputation: 10732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
No doubt the creature with the big foot was the original Big Foot.

The creature with its face on its chest is called Blemmye. Some had eyes on their shoulders. They were said to be a race of normal people who had been cursed for some reason. There are several other thoughts about their origin. One thought is that they might have been Bedouins with their heads wrapped in turbans giving the impression the turban covered the upper part of their body with their face exposed on their upper "torso". Some were thought to inhabit part of North Africa. Others were said to be in North India, and an island in the Andaman Sea. Interestingly, I found out that there were also others said to have een sighted in the northern tropical areas of South America. The photo in Wiki is the same one I saw in a book when I was a kid. I think the original image was a woodcut. You can see Dogman makes a special guest appearance in the woodcut.

The 'Big Foot' was another race of men, called a Monopod, and thought to be found in India and Ethiopia. It could hop around and would lay on its back to use its foot to provide shade from the sun. There has been the thought that they were sightings of Indian sadhus who would sometimes meditate on one foot.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...hia_(1544).jpg

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myth...thology-003082

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopod_(creature)


With regard to 1000s of Dogman sightings from all over the world. How did you come up with that figure (which could be anywhere from more than 1000 to just under 10,000)? That's quite a range. Are you lumping werewolves in with Dogmen as part of the 1000s of sightings?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...6339475609&z=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 PM
 
503 posts, read 148,096 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is a cool interactive map. Till you start clicking on the "encounters" and they read like a little kid made them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top