U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 PM

17,019 posts, read 4,617,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
My interest in cryptids dates back to my first reading of Bernard Heuvelmans' "On the Track of Unknown Animals" in the 1960s. It was a scientific interest - I would end up in graduate school in environmental sciences a decade later, with a specialization in terrestrial ecology. The thought that creatures like Nessie or sasquatch might be paranormal or demonic or extradimensional never crossed my mind. What you have in this group are cryptid enthusiasts who see the existence of something like cynocephalii as a scientific problem, rather than a demonic or magical problem. Which also applies to other paranormal topics like hauntings and UFOs - and that difference in perception is the source for a lot of disagreements in this group.

Same place where the xenomorph in Alien inexplicably got the mass to turn from a twelve-inch chest burster to a seven-foot monster overnight.
Well, the little chest burster critters, (baby Xenomorphs), were consuming people too, lots of red meat!

What I found interesting about the transformation sightings told to me, these people did not know each other and were from different states, yet their description of the 'process' was nearly identical! Both said it was very slow, but you could still see it progressing somewhat (it wasnt anywhere close to as fast as in the movies) One of the people was around 12 yrs old when he saw a neighbor guy changing, the other guy was in his 30s when he saw it. I listened to another Paranormal Round table episode and One of the sightings they talked about, this guy in TX saw a 'wolf man' that was swimming in a lake, it swam to shore, got out, and shook off, ( like a wet dog will do) and as it started to walk into the grass, the hair began falling off in big chunks, he said within 25 min, there was a nude white guy standing there and he quickly ran into the dense forested area. He didnt see the face or head change back into human though, its back was facing him...I would have liked to see the pronounced snout get smaller and smaller!

I just bet they are people out there, that know more about this, (and how its 'given' or placed on someone), like an ancient curse, that still works today as good as it did in the 15th century! I would also bet there are books that explain this in great detail, that have survived and exist today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That is a reflection of our own modern cosmology, where we insist everything must be literal. We have lost the mythic understanding of the universe that our ancestors had. We insist that Truth and Fact are the same thing. They aren't. Facts can change. Truth does not. Truth can't contradict the facts, but it can go beyond them.

The transformation of man into animal really has its roots in ancient shamanism. Again, if you are at all interested in this stuff, you REALLY ought to read this book: The Beast Within: A History of the Werewolf, by Adam Douglas.

It doesn't address modern "dog man" sightings, which are very much a modern Urban Legend. But it will give you the best history of lycanthropy I have ever found.
Im going to start looking for books on this topic, I have heard that one mentioned before too.

Im thinking of looking at VERY old books (re prints of course), something pre 18th century maybe, Im thinking its a type of 'generational curse', so that may be the best place to start looking.

Im not implying that I would wish to take on this curse though! HELL NO to THAT!!! I just want to see something manifesting, in the physical sense (so to speak), with my own eyes, I think if I could see it, I would get a good sense of whats going on.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:24 AM

5,232 posts, read 4,179,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, the little chest burster critters, (baby Xenomorphs), were consuming people too, lots of red meat!
Off-topic, but ... actually, I can't recall a single scene in any of the alien movies where it was implied that they used humans for anything other than incubators. In the original movie, the crew of the Nostromo consisted of six humans, one cyborg, and a cat - and none of them served as xenomorph lunches. The only explanation for the explosive growth of xenomorphs is magic - or acquisition of mass from another dimension (which is about the same thing)!

Old 06-14-2020, 10:58 AM

18,125 posts, read 22,059,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Off-topic, but ... actually, I can't recall a single scene in any of the alien movies where it was implied that they used humans for anything other than incubators. In the original movie, the crew of the Nostromo consisted of six humans, one cyborg, and a cat - and none of them served as xenomorph lunches. The only explanation for the explosive growth of xenomorphs is magic - or acquisition of mass from another dimension (which is about the same thing)!
We can presume that the first embryo consumed most of the spaghetti that John Hurt had been eating. So it burst out with a full tummy. We really have no idea exactly what a xenomorph eats, but it had at least several hours if not a day or two to do nothing but eat wiring, insulation, furniture, clothing, coolant, fuel, garbage, sewage, stores, etc., etc., etc.

Does it grow incredibly fast? Yes. No doubt.

Is it plausible that it had more than enough to eat onboard the Nostromo? Yup.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:01 AM

18,125 posts, read 22,059,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im going to start looking for books on this topic, I have heard that one mentioned before too.

Im thinking of looking at VERY old books (re prints of course), something pre 18th century maybe, Im thinking its a type of 'generational curse', so that may be the best place to start looking.
Check out THE WEREWOLF, by Montague Summers, from the 17th century. Summers actually believed in werewolves, witchcraft, and the supernatural, so it's a fun read. But it isn't exhaustive. He really only covers Europe and doesn't go much farther back than the Middle Ages.

The Adam Douglas books is much, much better in terms of an exhaustive history.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 4,179,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
We can presume that the first embryo consumed most of the spaghetti that John Hurt had been eating. So it burst out with a full tummy. We really have no idea exactly what a xenomorph eats, but it had at least several hours if not a day or two to do nothing but eat wiring, insulation, furniture, clothing, coolant, fuel, garbage, sewage, stores, etc., etc., etc.
Good point. We don't know what it was eating. Other than John Hurt's guts. It obviously didn't have a fondness for cat meat.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:59 PM

11,719 posts, read 11,099,497 times
MOVIES? Way off-topic and silly to apply; Hey it's all movie inspired.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
MOVIES? Way off-topic and silly to apply; Hey it's all movie inspired.
More likely, its the other way around imo...something in reality, inspired the movies.

It was labelled as 'fiction'...well, because, the whole idea of such a thing sounds off the wall crazy, (people changing form into monsters via black magik, witchcraft)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or